Thread: N55 Testo logs

My Cars
    '03 BMW 525DA M-Sport

N55 Testo logs

Hi guys,

Can some of you express his opinion on the below log.

The car is running N55 and it is completely stock.

I am very curious about the POWER values, as I am getting a peak of around 230 (don't know what unit of measure is this) at around 6k rpms.

I would also appreciate comments on the boost levels if they are normal. The boost is around 0,5bars - 0,650bars which is around 9,4-9,5psi peak, which seems a bit low. The Atmospheric pressure is 0,945bars.

http://datazap.me/u/bobbyggx/log-150...-4-5-6&mark=88

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    That's a totally normal boost level for a stock n55, they only run around 9 pounds of boost.
    I suspect that power level is KW since that equates to about 308hp.

My Cars
    '03 BMW 525DA M-Sport
    I assumed that it might be KW, but I wasn't sure. So everything on the logs seems fine to you? Boost, MAF etc?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Everything looks great to me. Boost is very close to target, all values look good.
    I wouldn't expect anything weird at stock boost, but generally you would want to log AFR or lambda for both banks, along with fuel pressure and timing. Your logs show that the car is making the correct boost, which rules out boost leaks, boost solenoid issues, and wastegate vacuum leaks. Are you just checking the health of the car, or are you preparing to tune the car?
    For tuning purposes, you watch cylinder timing to make sure there are no timing pulls. You log fuel pressure to check the HPFP and make sure you have enough fueling to support boost levels. And you also look at air-fuel ratio to make sure it doesn't go lean.
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 09-14-2017 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    '03 BMW 525DA M-Sport
    Health check as I fixed some minor boost leaks. Actually, within the Testo I was logging the Lambda banks (both) but unfortunately within the log the values are 0. If you are familiar with Testo MED176Y parameters I would appreciate some suggestions for parameters that I should log.

My car had a Dyno runs and it was about 270HP on the Crank and then I started to search the reason for this. I've made a boost leak tester (DYI) and pressurized the system up to 20-22psi where I found out that there is a leak from the charge pipe seal. I went and bought all seals around the Intercooler, Throttle body, Charge Pipe, cleaned the Ports (they weren't actually that dirty at all) and now I am just making logs to check what is the situation. I am planning to do another Dyno run next week friday (as I am on a business trip right now) and I wanted to make sure that everything is okay (data speaking), thus nothing is pointing out that the car would produce less power on the Dyno. I would of course do logs for timing, AFR whatever it is necessary. Currently the only test tool I have is ISTA-D and Testo (which I very much love as it is giving very detailed data (for now for the boost, but I am sure it can read everything)).

Here are some logs before the 270HP milestone. Here I noticed that the car was getting a bit hot and I changed the AC radiator with a shorter one so the IC would get the full air blast. My car is F10 and the IC was between the AC and Water radiators.
    http://datazap.me/u/bobbyggx/535i-st...log=0&data=1-4 => This log is done with JB4, my car had one but I removed it until I am able to reach my stock power;
    http://datazap.me/u/bobbyggx/log-150...&data=1-2-4-15 => Here I have logs from my DYNO run. Map 0 is stock, where you can see big deviation between DME_BT (Target boost) and ECU_PSI (Actual boost).

On the above logs you can see the timing, AFR and other stuff. You can also switch to MAP2 and MAP5. On Map2 and Map5 the car produced around 295-299hp on the crank.

Here is the Dyno graph. 268 and 270 are two runs with stock performance, 299 is the run with Map5. The thing there was that the Torque was always reached.

P.S. I am coming from diesel, this is my first petrol car for the past 10 years and I am not very aware of timing, AFR and what should be the values which are considered to be okay.
    P.S.2 Thank you very much for taking the interest to revise my logs! It is much appreciated.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I'm not familiar with testo, I actually had to look that one up. That's the windows program on bimmerboost right?
    I see that you also logged with JB4. Here's a good thread on datalogs that explains things better than I can: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21269

I'm a little confused by your dyno and data logs. The car is making the correct amount of boost, so it should also be making the correct amount of power. Most stock F10 535i's will dyno right around 260-270rwhp and around 380Nm at the wheels. If you are at a high elevation, the car might struggle to make the same power with the thinner air. What is your elevation? Another thing to note is map 5 sometimes doesn't do well on the dyno since it can take a couple pulls to tune to full power. Generally you want to dyno on map 2. Your torque is spot on in the dyno which confuses me. The dyno reads horsepower and torque from the wheels, so a conversion factor is used to calculate crank horsepower. I'm wondering if the car was dynoed in the wrong gear, or something is up with the conversion factor (or the dyno). Most dynos put an F10 535i with JB4 right around 300rwhp and 475Nm. If your dyno is rear-wheel numbers, you're spot on.
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 09-15-2017 at 06:17 PM.

My Cars
    '03 BMW 525DA M-Sport
    Elevation is around 950hpa.

The JB4 logs are done on the Dyno and there is an average boost difference of 1,5psi (up to 2psi). The very first run was done on Map 4 (Stock performance + JB4 logging) and there we saw 270hp (crank). They are using a formula to get the Crank HP, this is correct, and after that formula my car had 270hp on the Crank which equals to 230whp. At that point, the dyno is correct ( I would assume ), because a car that was measured on the same Dyno produced 265 and those cars run head to head. The car is E60, 530D, thus my car may be is a bit more powerful (because it weights more and it has a bigger wheels), but bottom line is that I should "kill" the E60 if everything is okay and if I really produce around 320hp on the crank (270rwhp).

The runs were done in 4th and 5th gear. The confusion part with the Torque is may be that my car is behaving "normal" until 4-4500rpms. and then it goes down at high rpms. I am hoping that with the boost leak fixes now it would produce enough power. Another thing, which I am looking is the "Sport Display" where my car currently is producing 300+ hp there, but not aways. I've looked at a youtube video where the car produces easily and always to 300+ hp ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzuvZzVcjjI ).

P.S. I've been reading the whole N54 and I already went thru all threads. Not only N54, I've been reading the whole web and doing everything that seems to be connected to my problem (as already mentioned, the boost leak test, smoke tests, port cleaning, new AC radiator) and because I don't know the exact values I've been thinking that my target boost is low, but now that you said that looks great that means that the car should be all fine. May be check it on the DynoJet and see if it would do 260-270whp (which I highly doubt).
    P.S.2 The car has been serviced, all filters, spark plugs, coils - everything is new, I have no miss-fires, smooth idle. Based on N54 guys the timing also looks fine. I've been wondering about the MAF if it can have that negative impact.