Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 - anything specific to watch out for earlier 2.8?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8

1997 BMW Z3 2.8 - anything specific to watch out for earlier 2.8?

OK, here's another that's close to me and looks to be in great shape. 1997 BMW Z3 2.8, 51xxx miles, always garaged ($8k). Regular maintenance (oil changes synthetic oil), new fan belt, good tires, clean Carfax, no mechanical issues, interior in great shape, new back window, stereo good, new battery, brakes flushed, Really just drive few times in the summer, don't have room for it anymore. Since it's such low mileage she explained that they've not had to do any major service to it.

Since it's a 1997, is there anything other than the usual stuff to worry about? I see it wasn't until '98 that they included the double vanos... what would that mean to me? I've only just talked with the owner (retired couple) that has owned it for 5 years and they are the 4th owner. I plan on looking at it today if possible.

I'm guessing as soon as I buy it (if I do) I would want to do a 60k maintenance to it?? What does that involve exactly?

As usual, thanks so much!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    I have the same exact car. It is a single Vanos M52 engine (98 was as well, double Vanos did not arrive until 99). One unique feature of the 97-98 M52's is that they are the only Z3 engines that have an aluminum block (ALL the others are iron). At 20 years old, the main concern is the cooling system; radiator, water pump, expansion tank, all the hoses, fan, thermostat cover, belts, and pulleys. The mileage is indeed low so the plastic parts have not gone through that many heat/cool cycles, but with age they just get brittle and can crack spontaneously.

Usual fluids should be changed -look at the maintenance records. Tires may need replacing just due to age as well. Otherwise it sounds like a great find!
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Single vanos engine has less torque at low revs, but it has more bolt-ons to add to increase the power than double vanos. After you buy it, make sure brown wire goes in to the middle of radiator temp switch. Check that the engine doesn't overheat (before you buy). Check for roof leaks (check under car carpets if there is no moisture). Can't think of anything else, there is nothing much to go wrong with those cars

Seems good find, pre facelift widebody is the best option IMHO.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Actually only the M44 4cyl and the S52/S54 M motors were cast iron. Unlike the sedans of the era,all regular Z3 6cyl were aluminum block. But as Deniss said, plastic ages whether driven or parked. To me the low mileage is a detriment. No advantage, and the seller wants a premium.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
    OK, here's another that's close to me and looks to be in great shape. 1997 BMW Z3 2.8, 51xxx miles, always garaged ($8k). Regular maintenance (oil changes synthetic oil), new fan belt, good tires, clean Carfax, no mechanical issues, interior in great shape, new back window, stereo good, new battery, brakes flushed, Really just drive few times in the summer, don't have room for it anymore. Since it's such low mileage she explained that they've not had to do any major service to it.
    Sounds great to me. I have 2x the miles on my '97 2.8...and wish I had a better stereo, new rear window and could say it had been always garaged. I know it was not garaged for the previous 5 years, and there is exterior evidence of a lot of sun exposure (FL car for first 15 years, apparently). I got mine for less than $4k and had to immediately replace the battery (no big deal). If you can get the price down a bit, I'd say go for it.

Definitely have the coolant system checked out/updated. I've not done mine, nor had issues, but I've been told enough times by folks here to expect to, so I repeat the advice.
    Cheers,
    Brad

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Actually only the M44 4cyl and the S52/S54 M motors were cast iron. Unlike the sedans of the era,all regular Z3 6cyl were aluminum block. But as Deniss said, plastic ages whether driven or parked. To me the low mileage is a detriment. No advantage, and the seller wants a premium.
    Of course to complicate things further, all euro variants of the M52 were aluminum even on the 3 and 5 series...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    While there are a few great things about the single vanos 2.8, especially the modding capacity, I know the dual vanos car has equal or maybe slightly better potential, but more technical and software knowledge is needed for it. There were a lot of things done in tune to reduce output, and can easily be regained. Shark Tune doesn't even touch what I mean.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    While there are a few great things about the single vanos 2.8, especially the modding capacity, I know the dual vanos car has equal or maybe slightly better potential, but more technical and software knowledge is needed for it. There were a lot of things done in tune to reduce output, and can easily be regained. Shark Tune doesn't even touch what I mean.
    Hi,

so I have a 1997 with M52 single vanos, and I've researched a bit, but can't say something has popped out at me like "that is a great mod". What is your short list?

Thanks!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The early 2.8 responds well to S52 camshafts, m50 manifold (controversial with some; agreed when used as a single mod), and a proper customized tune for those mods.
    Tune should keep the vanos in advance mode for a bit longer to recoup the torque loss of larger intake manifold, and then it will really shine after 5000rpm.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    M52 and S52 respond really really well to 8-10 psi of boost.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The 2.8 is solid as a rock, and it sounds like a much better find than the 2.3, and at a better price. If I recall correctly, there were no roll bars in '97, these were added in '98. Expect the normal Z3 stuff like seat track bushings, glove box fix, people telling you you need to revamp the cooling system (which it doesn't hurt to do), but at those miles you should just be able to drive it. One headache has already been addressed in the rear window, that's nice. Sounds like a well maintained low miles turnkey Z3 for $8K--how can you go wrong. As to modding it, you will probably find that the 2.8 has plenty of power to be a very fun roadster without doing anything but stepping on the gas.

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    My old 97 2.8 had rollbars.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by healeydays View Post
    My old 97 2.8 had rollbars.
    Interesting...were they factory-installed? Mine has none, though it is a 12/96 build. Maybe later '97s got them?

Also, sorry if the connotation is unpleasant, the phrasing of your post recalls The Wreck of the Old '97:

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 09-14-2017 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8
    So this car has roll bars (chrome). I also noticed that the steering wheel is black but the interior is tan.... is that right? Maybe they changed out the steering wheel at some point? I'll ask the seller- going to see it shortly. Here's the link to the pix: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/c...303256592.html

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    So this car has roll bars (chrome). I also noticed that the steering wheel is black but the interior is tan.... is that right? Maybe they changed out the steering wheel at some point? I'll ask the seller- going to see it shortly. Here's the link to the pix: https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/c...303256592.html
    I think with tan interior there was always black steering wheel. Chrome roll bars are aftermarket, don't add any protection, for looks only. Apart from roll bars car seems pretty stock (even stock wheels), which is a good source material for future project. Doesn't seem like it had many options, but you can retrofit them easily later if interested.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yes, all steering wheels are black.

There are chrome (stainless steel, actually) replacement bars that fit in the factory mounts. Those are fine. There is also the chrome one piece bars for cars without factory mounts. Those are show-only. These look to be the Hamann stainless bars.

It has the 00 style radiator fan. This suggests either the original failed (not common) or it took a punch to the nose at some point.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8
    Hmmm... the Carfax is clean... but I understand you can't always guarantee that...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Carfax reports are fiction. Period.

/.randy

My Cars
    z3
    Those chrome rollbars are show only, they are not Hammann they are eBay specials - either UK two piece or German 1 piece unit. Both varieties are a very thin hollow steel tube bent to shape, they will not support weight like the OEM rollbars would.

Carfax is meaningless
    I've seen so many cars with major damage that wasn't reported that I've completely lost any faith I had in Carfax. Get it if you want it for peace of mind, but it's a waste of money.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I may be off here, but... from what I've seen the cheap show bars follow the factory contour, pointy at the top. The Hamann bars are much more rounded, larger radius at the top and a more upright vertical tube. Further, the Hamann bars have the forward bend at the base staggered like the factory, with the inner lower than the outer. The show bars have the bends at the same plane. My car has Hamann, not that the .sig pic shows much. The rear shot of this patient look more like the Hamanns to me.

/.randy

My Cars
    z3
    To me they looked like the 2-piece rollbars that came out of the UK

Unlikely he will need the rollbars... but worth double checking if they are structural if thats something thats important to him. Could be Hamann and if so could always resell those for a few bucks and put stock bars back in.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1997 z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Interesting...were they factory-installed? Mine has none, though it is a 12/96 build. Maybe later '97s got them?

Also, sorry if the connotation is unpleasant, the phrasing of your post recalls The Wreck of the Old '97:
    @HealyDays old Z3 is my new Z3 . Build date is 1/97. I am pretty sure the rollbars were installed after the fact as they don't show up on the build list in the system (had a dealer pull it) and I found the install instructions in the trunk.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Looks great--how was your inspection/test drive?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8
    The inspection and drive went great- I bought it for $7800. I LOVE IT!!! The first thing the mechanic said (when I asked him what he thought) was, "Well the first thing you need to know is that I DO NOT like BMWs... but I just couldn't find anything wrong with it!" Ha ha... he said it was the cleanest he's seen. I showed him subframe issue pix from this forum and he said nothing was wrong. It has a small/minor oil seapage (leak) at the oil pan (the plug was tight), the rocking seats, crack in the driver side fog light and that's it.

The immediate things I want fixed are the rocking seats (both) and the wiper washer lines are clogged somewhere. The mechanic said that the pump is working and you can see one of the lines trickling fluid out.

The seller was so sweet... she wanted a pix in the car because she just had never taken one. She was sad to see it go but she just didn't have room for it anymore.

WOW!! What torque!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    The inspection and drive went great- I bought it for $7800. I LOVE IT!!! The first thing the mechanic said (when I asked him what he thought) was, "Well the first thing you need to know is that I DO NOT like BMWs... but I just couldn't find anything wrong with it!" Ha ha... he said it was the cleanest he's seen. I showed him subframe issue pix from this forum and he said nothing was wrong. It has a small/minor oil seapage (leak) at the oil pan (the plug was tight), the rocking seats, crack in the driver side fog light and that's it.

The immediate things I want fixed are the rocking seats (both) and the wiper washer lines are clogged somewhere. The mechanic said that the pump is working and you can see one of the lines trickling fluid out.

The seller was so sweet... she wanted a pix in the car because she just had never taken one. She was sad to see it go but she just didn't have room for it anymore.

WOW!! What torque!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT
    AWESOME! Congratulations--I am happy for you. I felt similar emotions buying mine. Too bad it is near the end of convertible season, but I am sure you will have a blast next Spring.
    Cheers,
    Brad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast