Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just havin' a good time.

My Cars
    1997 328is

Just havin' a good time.

Welcome to the slow progress that is my e36.
    Never thought I'd do one of these myself, but I've grown up on VWvortex & Bimmerforums and just think it's time I throw up my own "build."
    It's a 1997 328is that was originally bought with 127,000 miles. It's now at 182,000 at just shy of 3 years of daily driving to and from College.
    Lots of mistakes, lots of fun, lots of learning, lots of filters, etc. Hope you guys enjoy!
    Onto the pics! (WARNING: Lots of stance pics. I need to get better at taking pics of actual working on the car, but I just get in my zone and go for it. Also it's not the easiest gathering 3 years worth of photos and getting them in perfect order so some stuff may be out of order)

Anyways:
    Complimentary dog hair covered interior and terrible looking TSW's

Then after about 6 hours of cleaning

One of the first things I did was delete traction control since the intake boot that came with the car was cracked plastic and duct taped together

and then all reds (I'm sorry, but remember. College kid. No money)

The night that my friend helped me install my Raceland Ultimo's (for the price they've been great, but it's time for BC's this winter). Also plastidipped the TSW's to at least look like simple five spoke wheels for the time being.

Smoked corners, side blinkers, and taillights

Then came the stancy stuff. A VW friend of mine had a refinished set of Porsche Turbo Twists just hanging out in his garage for the longest time. One day he offered them to me for a price I couldn't refuse. Even though I didn't want 18's, I desperately wanted to get rid of the Beyern by TSW wheels the car came with. So adapters were bought and test fitting was done:

First day of driving on them and tire issues... Nankangs woo...

but then things looked okay for a while, especially at Leavenworth Drive 2015 (Many photos taken by @dusmanoff)

Last edited by eurodream; 09-13-2017 at 10:26 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Traded my cousin for his euro tails

Last edited by eurodream; 09-13-2017 at 10:28 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Finally ditched the 18's and got some 17x8/9 Style 32's with 205/40/17's all around.

Leavenworth Drive 2016 (@dusmanoff & @brendantfallon)

Our town got a crazy sandstorm and this was the result

I have this road 2 miles away from college so I sometimes am able to go on a quick drive between classes

The only time the car has left me stranded was when the alternator died. I saw it coming too so it was my own fault anyways.

Last edited by eurodream; 09-13-2017 at 10:51 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Winter shenanigans / roads / parts collecting etc (Combining several winters into one post)

Vibrant muffler because the muffler delete drone was getting to be too much, especially with the windows up in the cold months.

Got some 215/40/17 Falken Azenis RT615k's for the front. Extremely happy with them

Last edited by eurodream; 09-13-2017 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    98 328is
    photos dont show. i think you have to remove the s from https

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Looking forward for the photos to be fixed! This past weekend I put BC's on my e46 drifter, and they're freaking amazing.

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    in for pictures
    IG: allen_union

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Onto the interior. Now I bought the car because I wanted a project that drove fine but just needed love. This car definitely did. Most of the interior wasn't screwed or clipped in. Not even the two rear bolts for the e46 sport seats the car came with (The seat rails weren't even modified to fit the seats into the car). Magically though all the trim held each other in place and never rattled. The carpet had seen better days, so I decided to pull it. The headliner was sagging with a non-working sunroof, so it all went. I've never liked sunroofs and I've always wanted to own a slick top, so I ordered an s2rtuning carbon sunroof delete panel (cannot say enough nice things about this piece, one of my favorite things I've done to the car. Took 34 pounds off the highest point, no leaks, and the carbon matches the Cosmos Schwarz Black perfectly in certain light). I had pretty much decided that I wanted a clean looking stripped car, that still had street car vibes, while slowly getting built more and more for the track. I decided to opt for heat gun, a plastic paint scraper, and a $25 bottle of 3m Adhesive Remover to wipe off the leftover tar. I did this because it was all being done in my apartment garage, but also because I didn't wanna scratch the interior too much since it wasn't being painted immediately after.

I was in for a surprise when the carpet came out. Entire loom was poorly electrical taped. When I took the tape off, burnt wiring. Melted together. Tangles everywhere. Exposed wire. Dealer supplied extra airbag wiring. List goes on.

Last edited by eurodream; 09-13-2017 at 11:23 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328is

My Cars
    1997 328is
    So I dealt with wiring for about 20 hours over the course of several days. I started at the trunk and worked my way forward knowing it was the worst at the firewall (didn't know JUST how bad it was yet though), but I did it this way because at least I would see progress. I thinned the harness WAY down. In terms of sound, I decided to keep only the headunit and two rear deck speakers. That's it. I like good quality music but I don't really care for it in my car since I'd rather have fun driving it. So the two rear speakers going straight to the headunit were sufficient enough for me. A friend of mine that I drift with recommended this pretty amazing wiring loom so I ordered a pack. Started wrapping my way upwards. Got to the firewall and NOPED right outta there. I noticed burnt wires going to and from both the black and white harness connectors so I figured it was time to give it to a professional. Handed the car over to (possibly bimmerforums user?) Alex who put together my friend's e36 racecar's harness. Alex did a phenomenal job patching up my wiring and making sure it's all safe. He pulled the wiring out from the fuse box location and fixed many more issues. Many are in the pictures above ^ . He also cleaned up the wiring behind the glove box because that was such a rat's nest that I couldn't even change my cabin air filter. Alex suspects the wires melting was caused by a passenger seat airbag sensor harness or the power wire to the electrical seats. Needless to say, All airbag equipment and wiring was removed. Anyways, got my car back from Alex and started putting it back together and cleaning it up. Also ordered a Vac Motorsports fire extinguisher mount and Purple K extinguisher JUST to be on the safe side.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Installed the Hard Motorsport trunk filler panel with rivnuts

Buddy helped me redo my cooling system as well.
    Went with a Mishimoto 62 degree thermostat
    Aluminum thermostat cover (Car already had one but it was covered in silicone so I figured why not)
    Low temp aux fan switch
    Metal impeller water pump (Car already had one but it was faulty)
    & new BMW coolant.
    Will have to get a Koyorad radiator sometime but for now the stock one works perfect

My Cars
    1997 328is
    So this brings us to the beginning of 2017, my first season drifting on track.
    Wrapped the Enkei RPF1's with my RT615k's.

Took the car to my neighbor's work so he could mill down my 20mm spacers to 18mm.

Car started misfiring, got check engine codes, and just felt like crap.

So I replaced the manifold gaskets, crankshaft and camshaft position sensors, and an o2 sensor. Also replaced the recalled crankshaft position sensor harness, deleted more emissions stuff, got my injectors looked at, replaced spark plugs, and fixed vaccuum leaks. Car runs great now, idle doesn't bounce around at red lights anymore, and I got my power back.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Buddy welded up my 2.93 for me

Had to cut my diffuser a lot to fit the dual 3.5" tips and tuck them up in the bumper

Coolest workshop I've ever seen

My friends and I took our German 240's to Nissanfest in Seattle.

- - - Updated - - -

Time for my first drift day. Figure 8 track at the Stateline of Washington and Idaho

- - - Updated - - -

Then Leavenworth Drive 2017 came around. I had just picked up some Style 66's for drift spares.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Independence Matsuri 2017 time! This was only my second event but man was it awesome. I'm bummed that I've seen no pictures come of it even though there were plenty of photographers on track. If you'd like in car footage of my mediocre driving, you can find it on my instagram @bigjetplane.jp
    A hydro or even a working e brake would have been nice here but that's alright, still had a blast.
    Car held up extremely well. Had the over 2 mile long track to myself for 7 laps at one point, which is around 15ish minutes so I just kept hot lapping with temps never budging.

Last edited by eurodream; 09-14-2017 at 12:43 AM.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    So that basically brings us to today. I'm done for the season, only did the two events. The car just needs a bit more so that i'd be more comfortable with drifting it. For example, I'll be ordering Nerp Tech adjustable lower control arms this week. I graduate college this December, so the build should pick way up. Lots of plans and goodies for this winter.

So here's the state the car is currently in...

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Things not pictured:
    - New Meyle HD control arms
    - New Lemfoerder inner & outer tie rods
    - Powerflex purple street poly FCABs
    - Powerflex black track poly RTABs
    - X brace
    - SAP delete
    - Clutch fan delete
    - Airbag delete
    - Horn deleted
    - TRM 6" shift knob
    - Ebrake fully deleted
    - Armrest delete
    - Zimmerman rotors w/ ceramic brake pads
    - Garagistic rear strut tower reinforcement plates
    - Ichiba 15mm 5x114.3 adapters for the RPF1's
    - Ground control / Eibach rear springs

Plans for this winter
    :
    - Half cage at least
    - Bucket seats
    - Harnesses
    - BC coilovers
    - Hydro w/ dual calipers
    - Complete the set of RPF1's or completely switch to some more Japanese wheels
    - Felony Form
    - Wrap or paint
    - Reinforce rear end
    - New axles
    - etc......

Thanks for stickin' around! Enjoy a throwback burnout & stay tuned!

Last edited by eurodream; 09-14-2017 at 09:12 PM.

aye that's my boy! keep the updates coming

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Damn this is clean. Car looks great with all that sound deadening and carpet removed. Do you have a link for that wire loom? And because I'm a lazy pos and don't feel like googling it, how'd you hook up your speakers to your head unit?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    I wish independence matsuri wasn't the same weekend as our drift union invitational, I went to spectate year one down there and that track seems hella fun

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    This is great man! Keep up the hard work. This winter I want to reinforce my rear end too, I'm in an e46. About to run my 3rd event, so we'll see how it goes! Keep up the updates as things roll in, it's a gorgeous car.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    Cool build recap, car looked great on the twists. Ill be watching to see more.

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Awesome Work! Is that a Max Velocity Front Lip??
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by xMatthew View Post
    Damn this is clean. Car looks great with all that sound deadening and carpet removed. Do you have a link for that wire loom? And because I'm a lazy pos and don't feel like googling it, how'd you hook up your speakers to your head unit?
    Thank You!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPLIT-LOOM-1...hRU21R&vxp=mtr

Everything audio related is deleted except for the 4 colorful and curly wires (2 per speaker) going to each speaker. They are pinned into the connector that plugs into the back of the headunit. Sorry I'm not too much help. Wiring was a mess, especially from the PO's leftover $uB wiring so I had a friend help me out with it. I'll have to snap a pic for you when I'm in the garage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    I wish independence matsuri wasn't the same weekend as our drift union invitational, I went to spectate year one down there and that track seems hella fun
    Yeah so do I. I would have loved to go watch DUI but driving seemed a BIT more fun haha

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    This is great man! Keep up the hard work. This winter I want to reinforce my rear end too, I'm in an e46. About to run my 3rd event, so we'll see how it goes! Keep up the updates as things roll in, it's a gorgeous car.
    Hey good stuff man! I appreciate the kind words! Good luck at the event

Quote Originally Posted by Hinrichs View Post
    Cool build recap, car looked great on the twists. Ill be watching to see more.
    Thank You! It wasn't easily driveable in that state though hah.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthbeam View Post
    Awesome Work! Is that a Max Velocity Front Lip??
    Thank You!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-M3-B...72.m2749.l2649

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Throwback pics from Independence Matsuri by Shinchoku

and then my car BARELY made it into this picture on the right edge but idc I'll take it I'm grasping at straws for pics from that event xD

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    How did the stock power hold up for scr? I always felt that even with the s50 it might feel underpowered at that track.. the only time I was there I was with Logan Noel and his car makes like mid 300 range so hard to compare to a stock BMW haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast