Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for E31 style 5 (BBS) wheels

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Looking for E31 style 5 (BBS) wheels

Hi,

If anyone could help me out with a good set of style 5 BBS wheels for my 850i, that would be awesome. I'd like to buy/have the original ones.
    Front: 8x17 ET10
    Rear: 9x17 ET19

Thanks! Hoping there still are some out there...

Kei

My Cars
    997tt,850,02m5,w140 s500
    Quote Originally Posted by kmuel View Post
    Hi,

If anyone could help me out with a good set of style 5 BBS wheels for my 850i, that would be awesome. I'd like to buy/have the original ones.

Kei

might not be much help, but i have had a square set of 18x8 et 20 in my garage for 10 years since i bought 2 sets of staggered wheels to get a square set of the rears. so any way

pm me if you or anyone else really are interested

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    IM ON PAROLE, feels good to be out!

I hope your prepared to spend a lot of time searching... and if your lucky enough to be the first to spot a set (thats actually for sale) be prepared to spend some serious money. Ive seen even molested sets; clear coat peeling, rusted bolts, bent lips, cracked, curb rashed, and my favorite completely disassembled sets go for crazy money... even sets with the centers painted some awful color (apparently girls love to paint bbs RC/RS centers pink). These e31 specific sets are NLA and were the only OEM multi-piece rim offered for the e31. They were all snapped up cause the lips are as wide as the palm of your hand, they fit on more than just the e31, and since there multi-piece they are the only OEM rim which you can disassemble to paint the centers without having a paint/tape line. This is why I bought them, when I eventually paint my 6speed I will be sending the centers to the paint shop for some Schwarz 086 + clear coat to match the car (the center caps are plastic and should not be powder coated).

I actually have TWO, all original, un-molested sets of these rare beauties sitting in my warehouse but neither are for sale. One set is M I N T, new in box condition 10/10... most likely the nicest original set left on earth, the second is near mint 9.75/10, both sets are "show condition". It took me 7 years to get both sets (started looking spring 2010), these 2 sets were the only ones I ever saw come up for sale during that time in north America and I snatched up both as soon as I saw them. I asked no questions, paid the full ask and handled my own shipping via pallet freight. I only found them from relentless searching every single night (and I do mean every), I have 3 browser windows open on my iphone for just these rims and I hit refresh every night after I climb into bed. When I was chasing my first set I spent 3 years looking and saw not 1 single set for sale, so I then I spent another year sending hundreds of emails to euro e31 sellers who had these on their cars asking them to sell me just the wheels with no luck. I then even tried to import a UK 840 sport just for its wheels, they were standard on that version, but the import fees made it impossible. Im telling you all this because you should know how hard they are to get. You could waste a ton of time and still come up empty handed so I advise that you should decide NOW if you want a set, not when you see one for sale because you wont have time to think before some else grabs them. I was unbelievably lucky to get the two sets I have, I will be adding an additional 5-6k of rim/tire coverage to whatever car they go on, the best wheel locks money can buy and a ceramic coating every spring.

The bbs RC/RS is historically one of the most (if not the most) popular rim ever, and the e31 specific ones have the widest RC lip bbs ever made. So if you do find a set and are not ready to put them on the car take good care of them. Store them as I did... clean (no tire dressing) using a ph neutral wheel cleaner, stacked on top of each other, in an air conditioned/heated space. Drop the psi to 15 then put each clean wheel in an dark trash bag, toss in a few silica gel packets then vacuum the air out before taping closed. Dont put them on bare tile or concrete floor, keep away from direct sunlight or anything that produces ozone, and change the silica packets every 12 months. Good luck on your hunt, I really enjoyed mine and I hope you beat me to my 3rd set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 6speeder; 09-18-2017 at 09:22 AM.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speeder View Post
    IM ON PAROLE, feels good to be out!

I hope your prepared to spend a lot of time searching... and if your lucky enough to be the first to spot a set (thats actually for sale) be prepared to spend some serious money. Ive seen even molested sets; clear coat peeling, rusted bolts, bent lips, cracked, curb rashed, and my favorite completely disassembled sets go for crazy money... even sets with the centers painted some awful color (apparently girls love to paint bbs RC/RS centers pink). These e31 specific sets are NLA and were the only OEM multi-piece rim offered for the e31. They were all snapped up cause the lips are as wide as the palm of your hand, they fit on more than just the e31, and since there multi-piece they are the only OEM rim which you can disassemble to paint the centers without having a paint/tape line. This is why I bought them, when I eventually paint my 6speed I will be sending the centers to the paint shop for some Schwarz 086 + clear coat to match the car (the center caps are plastic and should not be powder coated).

I actually have TWO, all original, un-molested sets of these rare beauties sitting in my warehouse but neither are for sale. One set is M I N T, new in box condition 10/10... most likely the nicest original set left on earth, the second is near mint 9.75/10, both sets are "show condition". It took me 7 years to get both sets (started looking spring 2010), these 2 sets were the only ones I ever saw come up for sale during that time in north America and I snatched up both as soon as I saw them. I asked no questions, paid the full ask and handled my own shipping via pallet freight. I only found them from relentless searching every single night (and I do mean every), I have 3 browser windows open on my iphone for just these rims and I hit refresh every night after I climb into bed. When I was chasing my first set I spent 3 years looking and saw not 1 single set for sale, so I then I spent another year sending hundreds of emails to euro e31 sellers who had these on their cars asking them to sell me just the wheels with no luck. I then even tried to import a UK 840 sport just for its wheels, they were standard on that version, but the import fees made it impossible. Im telling you all this because you should know how hard they are to get. You could waste a ton of time and still come up empty handed so I advise that you should decide NOW if you want a set, not when you see one for sale because you wont have time to think before some else grabs them. I was unbelievably lucky to get the two sets I have, I will be adding an additional 5-6k of rim/tire coverage to whatever car they go on, the best wheel locks money can buy and a ceramic coating every spring.

The bbs RC/RS is historically one of the most (if not the most) popular rim ever, and the e31 specific ones have the widest RC lip bbs ever made. So if you do find a set and are not ready to put them on the car take good care of them. Store them as I did... clean (no tire dressing) using a ph neutral wheel cleaner, stacked on top of each other, in an air conditioned/heated space. Drop the psi to 15 then put each clean wheel in an dark trash bag, toss in a few silica gel packets then vacuum the air out before taping closed. Dont put them on bare tile or concrete floor, keep away from direct sunlight or anything that produces ozone, and change the silica packets every 12 months. Good luck on your hunt, I really enjoyed mine and I hope you beat me to my 3rd set.
    Wow, sounds like a ton of effort you went through. Successfully, it seems. Thanks for your detailed story. They do scare me a little, hahaha!

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Sets pop up on ebay.de. Last set was around 2000 euro and they were refinished. Expect shipping to be in the 300-400 Euro range.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by kmuel View Post
    Hi,

Kei
    Will 18" work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBS-18x9-18x...hZa8Uk&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by 72tpik5; 09-16-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Looking for the 17'' version but those do look fantastic :-)

My Cars
    bmw 850
    I read somewhere that the lip on the 9x18 is narrower than the lip on 9x17.
    The e31 style 5 is hard to find but they do show up, i had a chance to pick up 2 sets from UK ebay in the last year.
    Only the 9x17 rc010 is NLA, the front 8x17 rc009 is still available at around $700 US up till couple months ago.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Yeah, there are subtle differences between the e31 17'' style 5 and the 18'' style 5s (apart from the diameter, of course).
    The front wheels can still be purchased from BMW directly although they aren't produced anymore last time I checked. The rear wheels are a different story.
    Freude am Fahren :-)

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    Sets pop up on ebay.de. Last set was around 2000 euro and they were refinished. Expect shipping to be in the 300-400 Euro range.
    I love your prices, where they from 2005? The "last set" your talking about that sold on ebay Ger was not the e31 specific RC 09/10, they were clearly the RC 90 (link below). Since its clear you dont know Ill tell you the RC 90 is a completely different rim... they are not staggered, have half the lip, are VERY common and are alot cheaper. FYI the 3 browser windows I have open from my first post; ebay us, uk and ger.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BBS-TIEFBETT-...MAAOSwIWVY9Gtw

To ship a set of wheels on a palette from Germany to a euro port costs $250 min, then to an east coast port is min $600, then the third courier ships the third leg for another $250 min to your door, no clue where your getting 300 euro to ship. Even if you could get it cheaper, sending rims this method is plain stupid. It takes alot of your time to coordinate the shipment, and as long as 6-8 weeks to get it. They get handled by at least 3 different couriers and each one abuses them, and last time I checked bent rims dont hold air. Also, there is no recourse if they are not delivered as described, its not like your gona fly to Ger to confront a deadbeat seller. I had a guy from Greece once send me a box of rocks instead of my ebay item, he took the time to measure out the exact weight of my item.
    Last edited by 6speeder; 09-18-2017 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    Quote Originally Posted by razman850 View Post
    I read somewhere that the lip on the 9x18 is narrower than the lip on 9x17.
    The e31 style 5 is hard to find but they do show up, i had a chance to pick up 2 sets from UK ebay in the last year.
    Only the 9x17 rc010 is NLA, the front 8x17 rc009 is still available at around $700 US up till couple months ago.
    The 18's not only have ALOT less lip but the offset is different which pushes the entire wheel further towards the inside of the car, they dont look right at all on the e31. Even if you use spacers with the 18's to match the offsets of the 17's your still left with a much shorter lip. Its a big difference in lip too... the REAR lip of the 18's arent even as big as the FRONTS of the 17's. Also, be carefull of the UK ones, they track their cars over there. They love the RC 09/10 on early z3, z4, and m3 track cars which they dont exactly pamper. However, if you know for certain they came off a UK 840 sport then those are ok but you still have all the expense and drawbacks of dealing with an overseas ship.

Even if the fronts are still available they are worthless wothout the rears... and since the rears are NLA no one is going to be selling them without the fronts.
    Last edited by 6speeder; 09-18-2017 at 09:24 AM.

My Cars
    95 BMW 850
    You could put the fronts on the rear. The car would actually handle better with less under-steer. It just wouldn't look as cool and the DSC light already goes nuts with the staggered set.

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    L O L... been around bbs rc for a long time, never heard of that idea. It would leave you with a square set, and the fronts placed on the rear would look terrible. They would be tucked in even more than the 18's would (or even the stock 16's). Ask anyone whos had to temporarily use the spare, which are fronts, on the rear after a flat. The 17 inch throwing stars would be a better option at that point (at least they are staggered). If your dsc is going nuts you have the wrong tire size and/or tire pressure, it has no way of knowing the width of each rim.
    Last edited by 6speeder; 09-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.

My Cars
    95 BMW 850
    I thought they would look the same as the 16s? I have the right tire size. Just too much torque.

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    The e31 was designed to run staggered, 5 of the 6 available rims were staggered (includes the Alpina 5.0/5.7 ones), so unless you have the wrong size tires, wrong psi, unbalanced psi, bald tires, or are driving in the rain/snow, it shouldnt be throwing traction warnings. ASC/ASC+T measures traction by tire revolutions per min, it has no way of knowing what width the rims are. This is actually how todays modern bmw's monitor tire pressure, the TPM sensors inside the wheels report the tire rpm and if its out of tollerance it throws a warning. The e31 actually had the very 1st bmw tpm system, it was only fitted on a few prototypes so it never made it into e31 production. My point is there are many things that could cause your traction control to "go nuts" but rim width is not one of them, its always a tire issue, never a rim issue.

Also im looking for (2) fronts rc009, if you ever do upgrade to a staggered set I would be interested.
    Last edited by 6speeder; 09-18-2017 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I love your prices, where they from 2005? The "last set" your talking about that sold on ebay Ger was not the e31 specific RC 09/10, they were clearly the RC 90 (link below). Since its clear you dont know Ill tell you the RC 90 is a completely different rim... they are not staggered, have half the lip, are VERY common and are alot cheaper. FYI the 3 browser windows I have open from my first post; ebay us, uk and ger.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BBS-TIEFBETT-...MAAOSwIWVY9Gtw

To ship a set of wheels on a palette from Germany to a euro port costs $250 min, then to an east coast port is min $600, then the third courier ships the third leg for another $250 min to your door, no clue where your getting 300 euro to ship. Even if you could get it cheaper, sending rims this method is plain stupid. It takes alot of your time to coordinate the shipment, and as long as 6-8 weeks to get it. They get handled by at least 3 different couriers and each one abuses them, and last time I checked bent rims dont hold air. Also, there is no recourse if they are not delivered as described, its not like your gona fly to Ger to confront a deadbeat seller. I had a guy from Greece once send me a box of rocks instead of my ebay item, he took the time to measure out the exact weight of my item.
    Respectfully disagree - December of 2016 and they sold. Did not save the auction, but I have a good memory.

Wheels can be shipped in 2 or 4 boxes to avoid baloon rates. I have been shipped some fairly heavy and large items over the years, so 300 Euros is quite possible and certainly doable. Not sure why some wheels would need to make three trips to get here, but maybe that is your experience.

Agree that is best to find local or domestically, when possible.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    Respectfully disagree - December of 2016 and they sold. Did not save the auction, but I have a good memory.
    Let me make sure I get this straight... your trying to tell all of us that the set you were talking about when you said "...ebay.de. Last set was around 2000 euro and they were refinished.", was NOT the set I linked above, even though my link was also from ebay.de, also style 5, also sold for exactly 2000 euro, and were also refinished, exactly as you described?? Doesnt quite pass the "smell test" does it? Isnt it true that its 100 times more likely that your 1 year old memory was instead of those in the link? Up until a month ago I was refreshing ebay ger us and uk every night and an e31 specific refinished set NEVER sold on ebay ger for 2000 euro in dec 2016. That link I posted above of the rc90 also shows that if a refinished set of rc90 sold for 2000 euro, then a set of rc09 would never sell for the same price, they are much much much rarer, and NLA. Especially when you consider that there are literally 20 sets for sale right now on ebay us, us and ger of rc90 and not even 1 single set of rc09. Anyone who has been to ger as I have (I was stationed in Hamburg for 8 months) will tell you things there are much more expensive than they are here, if a part is 1000 here its 1300 there.

Wheels can be shipped in 2 or 4 boxes to avoid baloon rates. I have been shipped some fairly heavy and large items over the years, so 300 Euros is quite possible and certainly doable
    As far as shipping there is a fact you dont realize, its that rims must be palette shipped, especially an overseas shipment, the Atlantic ocean isnt exactly calm. If you ship a bare rim even in its own individual cardboard box it will never arrive unbent. They abuse the packages ask anyone who works as a box boy, they are literally TOSSED from place to place, and the more "hops" a package takes the more tosses it gets (customer center to regional distribution center, to local shipping office, then out for delivery on at least 1 truck). And thats just for a domestic box, the international hops a package takes could be 25 or more. There would be no way to "cushion" a 25 pound rim inside its box to avoid damage, hence the requirement of palate shipping. I doubt shipping companies would even allow insurance on a bare rim in a box sent overseas if its not on a palette. The rims are actually tied down to the palette preventing them from moving, individual boxed rims would bounce and move all over the place. To ship from overseas it must go shipping container not air (hence the 6-8 week shipping time), by air would be cost prohibitive. All this is moot because you would still need to find not only these rare rims for sale BUT also that seller must be willing to box each rim individually???? Never ever gona happen, and definitely not for 300 euros... have you been to staples lately to price a small cardboard box? Four sturdy boxes large enough to fit rims probably cost 25-30 euros, and another 1 or 2 rolls of packing tape at 5 euro each, that leaves just 260 euro left for an overseas shipment? And if all this doesnt make senses then go price a freight (palette) shipment of 100 pounds from just the east to west coast, your cant even get that done for 260 euros, so how could an overseas trip from Germany to usa cost that.

Not sure why some wheels would need to make three trips to get here, but maybe that is your experience.
    They need to take at least 3 trips to get here because domestic shipping companies do not handle international shipping. For example it takes 1 freight (palette) carrier from Germany to a Mediterranean or Atlantic port, then 1 international shipping container company to a US port, then a US domestic freight shipper to get it to your door. Even the companies like fedex that offer international freight shipping do not actually do it themselves. They might handle the logistics of the shipment but actually outsource the "over water" part of the shipment to an independent 3rd party shipping container company. How do I know all of this, because I have tried to import these exact rims from Ger and the UK myself because they just dont come up for sale over here. I hope my grammar was correct . FYI "baloon" is spelled with two ll's.
    Last edited by 6speeder; 09-19-2017 at 05:08 PM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

Let me make sure I get this straight... your trying to tell all of us that the set you were talking about when you said "...ebay.de. Last set was around 2000 euro and they were refinished.", was NOT the set I linked above, even though my link was also from ebay.de, also style 5, also sold for exactly 2000 euro, and were also refinished... just as you described?? Doesnt quite pass the "smell test" does it? Isnt it true that its 100 times more likely that your 1 year old memory was instead of those in the link? Up until a month ago I was refreshing ebay ger us and uk every night and an e31 specific refinished set NEVER sold on ebay ger for 2000 euro in dec 2016. That link I posted above of the rc90 also shows that if a refinished set of rc90 sold for 2000 euro, than a set of rc09 would never sell for the same price, they are much much much rarer, and NLA. Especially when you consider that there are literally 20 sets for sale right now on ebay us, us and ger of rc90 and not even 1 single set of rc09. Anyone who has been to ger as I have (I was stationed in Hamburg for 8 months) will tell you things there are much more expensive than they are here, if a part is 1000 here its 1300 there.

As far as shipping there is a fact you dont realize, its that rims must be palette shipped, especially an overseas shipment, the Atlantic ocean isnt exactly calm. If you ship a bare rim even in its own individual cardboard box it will never arrive unbent. They abuse the packages ask anyone who works as a box boy, they are literally TOSSED from place to place, and the more "hops" a package takes the more tosses it gets (customer center to regional distribution center, to local shipping office, then out for delivery on at least 1 truck). And thats just for a domestic box, the international hops a package takes could be 25 or more. There would be no way to "cushion" a 25 pound rim inside its box to avoid damage, hence the requirement of palate shipping. I doubt shipping companies would even allow insurance on a bare rim in a box sent overseas if its not on a palette. The rims are actually tied down to the palette preventing them from moving, individual boxed rims would bounce and move all over the place. To ship from overseas it must go shipping container not air (hence the 6-8 week shipping time), by air would be cost prohibitive. All this is moot because you would still need to find not only these rare rims for sale BUT also that seller must be willing to box each rim individually???? Never ever gona happen, and definitely not for 300 euros... have you been to staples lately to price a small cardboard box? Four sturdy boxes large enough to fit rims probably cost 25-30 euros, and another 1 or 2 rolls of packing tape at 5 euro each, that leaves just 260 euro left for an overseas shipment? And if all this doesnt make senses then go price a freight (palette) shipment of 100 pounds from just the east to west coast, your cant even get that done for 260 euros, so how could an overseas trip from Germany to usa cost that.

They need to take at least 3 trips to get here because domestic shipping companies do not handle international shipping. For example it takes 1 freight (palete) carrier from Germany to a Mediterranean or Atlantic port, then 1 international shipping container company, then a US domestic freight shipper (ups fedex dhl usps etc) to get it to your door. Even the companies like fedex that offer international freight shipping do not actually do it themselves, they might handle the logistics of the shipment but actually outsource the "over water" part of the shipment to an independent 3rd party shipping container company. Hope my grammar was correct . BTW "baloon" is spelled with two ll's.
    I can ship 4 wheels from EU via air by TNT to US for around 400eur. This is a fact.
    I know you are full of information, but can we not get into these prolonged discussions again where you are trying to prove you are 100% right 100% of the time?
    Let some things be sometime, no one is trying to disprove you.

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    I can ship 4 wheels from EU via air by TNT to US for around 400eur. This is a fact.
    I know you are full of information, but can we not get into these prolonged discussions again where you are trying to prove you are 100% right 100% of the time?
    Let some things be sometime, no one is trying to disprove you.

Why are you always commenting about my comments? I dont see where you were part of this discussion up until just now when your "contribution" to the original post was just to criticize me, and criticize wrongly. I just did your shipment on TNT from Ger to Cali, cheapest price I got was almost 1200 euro, which last I checked is nowhere near 400 (see pic).
    Last edited by 6speeder; 09-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    image.jpg

Why are you always commenting about my comments? I dont see where you were part of this discussion up until just now when your "contribution" to the original post was just to criticize me, and criticize wrongly. I just did your shipment on TNT from Ger to Cali, cheapest price I got was almost 1200 euro, which last I checked is nowhere near 400 (see pic).
    There you go again, I am not criticizing you, chill out. I am free to join any discussion at any time on this forum.
    Yes TNT will quote this much for the shipment, the key is to go through a freight forwarder then you get bulk pricing. I have shipped very heavy items like the diff and wheels this way several times.

My Cars
    e31 e28 e53 e92
    ...but can we not get into these prolonged discussions
    That comment made it seem like you were part of this discussion, but you weren't... until you commented on my comment. I never once said you were not free to join a discussion but you have a history of commenting on my comments and being the 3rd one to jump in... you can prove me wrong by not doing it anymore. I could have easily criticized you after your recommendation to use cnt fuel pumps but I didnt did I. A diff is 20% of the size of a set of wheels, pricing goes by weight (cause of fuel) and also the sqft it physically takes up so shipping a diff is going to be cheaper than a set of 4 wheels as per the TNT pic.

My Cars
    bmw 850
    6speeder, Toomanyparts said "around 2000 euro" and "300-400 range".
    He is right on the ballpark, i have seen sets of 3 rc009 + 2 rc010 meaning 5 wheels in total sit on ebay for weeks at " around that price.
    And they are cheaper in europe because there are more of them there. And before you set upon me i have the e31 style 5s and know the difference between rc090, rc009, rc035
    Just dont understand your urge to challenge and insult people, every thread goes to crap when you get on it. Chill out dude.

MauiM3Mania is online now Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    People, stay on topic. This is a WTB thread. Discuss everything else elsewhere. It would be great if the arguing would stop. Thanks so much!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 BMW 850
    I would like a set of those wheels as well. So can you run the fronts on the back and would they look the same as the stock 16 inch wheel?
    Last edited by llcarlos; 09-21-2017 at 09:06 AM.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Unfortunately all of this posturing to prove who knows the most about these wheels has guaranteed that the OP has zero chance of getting a good deal on the wheels he is looking for. If you can't assist in someone's search, move on, your opinion on what he should pay is of no value.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast