My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    here is the 4runner at the scene... a before and after
    4runner crash.JPG
    Ryan | 1983 BMW 320is | H&R's, Bilsteins's, Eurometric
    My Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...83-320is-build

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    I almost forgot to show you guys this.... because this will help it get on the road faster. hahaa

new wheel emblems.jpgwheel emblem.jpg

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by meeceboy78 View Post
    I almost forgot to show you guys this.... because this will help it get on the road faster. hahaa

new wheel emblems.jpgwheel emblem.jpg
    Pull the old ones off first. Someone stuck new stickers over the old ones on my car and they started falling off.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecatmilton View Post
    Pull the old ones off first. Someone stuck new stickers over the old ones on my car and they started falling off.
    yup, i pulled them off, cleaned the surface real good and stuck the new ones on.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    oooohhhh.... new parts.....

CV boot kit.jpg

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    good morning guys
    had a fairly productive Saturday this past weekend...
    finished scraping and wire wheeled the sub-frame and pressure washed it again. finally able to paint it. its not perfect, but SO much better that it was.
    also painted the sway bar and misc. brackets. installed the new rear brake lines and finished getting the old trailing arm bushings out. i was originally going to install rubber OEM bushings in there, but i had a really difficult time trying to get them in, i didn't have the right stuff to do it, so i just put the euro metric ones in there. greased them up real good and took me 5 minutes to get those in.
    standing back looking at it after all of this, doesn't seem like it was very big changes, but these little things did need to get done and its closer to put back together now. this week i will be attempting the CV's. going to try to re grease them and put the new boots on.
    does anyone know, if i just unbolt the CV at the brake side, does it just slide out of the diff housing? the reason i ask is because one side is already starting to come out from the diff side...

here is a few pics.

new ta bushings.jpgnew rear brake lines.jpgpainted subframe.jpg

My Cars
    1978 323i
    The CV's are bolted with six hex socket (eg Allen-head) bolts at both ends. I think a circlip at either end keeps the ends on (but you won't see it until you take the axle off and remove the cover on the end)

halfshaft.jpg

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    thank you cgifool
    I checked Realoem and it seems like the stub shaft bolts into the diff...? but mine fel out while i was working on it. that didnt seem right.
    anyhow, i got a bit more progress done yesterday

here are a few pics

subframe back onTA's.jpg
    axle hanging out.jpgyou can see how it started slipping out away from the diff
    axle out.jpggoing to start rebuilding these, this week finally. once this is done i can start putting everything back into the car. WOO HOO!

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    It is normal for the stub axle to slide out from the diff. But if servicing boots remove the bolts and leave stub axle in the diff.

If the original boots are not ripped I would leave them in place, they are much better quality that the replacement boots. From my experience the replacement boots last 3-4 years, original ones last at least 30. Looks like you have purchased better (arguably) quality GK boots, however they lasted only 4 years and maybe 20K miles on my car. Previously installed Febi lasted even less. Original ones were still OK after 30 years and 300K miles, I should have kept them.

Max

My Cars
    82 E21
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post
    It is normal for the stub axle to slide out from the diff. But if servicing boots remove the bolts and leave stub axle in the diff.

If the original boots are not ripped I would leave them in place, they are much better quality that the replacement boots. From my experience the replacement boots last 3-4 years, original ones last at least 30. Looks like you have purchased better (arguably) quality GK boots, however they lasted only 4 years and maybe 20K miles on my car. Previously installed Febi lasted even less. Original ones were still OK after 30 years and 300K miles, I should have kept them.

Max
    Hello Max,

This is something I don't like the sound of....I really hope that your case was a fluke and not the norm. I guess we'll see how the GK/Lobro boots last on my car too, however with the limited use my car see's 20k miles will be years. Thanks for sharing the info.

MJ

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is

Max
    well that's a bummer to hear. LOL mine were not torn, but were very rotted and cracked. one actually looks OK, I'm guessing it must have been replaced somewhere down the line. but, yeah, to MJ/s point. my car probably wont see 3-4k miles a year, and its garaged. so it should be fine for some time.

My Cars
    1980 E21
    Thanks for the write up, I am gearing up to tackle the front end & springs & your info is going to be a big help.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdb View Post
    Thanks for the write up, I am gearing up to tackle the front end & springs & your info is going to be a big help.
    glad to hear that and glad i could help someone out. let me know if you have questions.

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post
    Hello Max,

This is something I don't like the sound of....I really hope that your case was a fluke and not the norm. I guess we'll see how the GK/Lobro boots last on my car too, however with the limited use my car see's 20k miles will be years. Thanks for sharing the info.

MJ
    Well, I hope it's a fluke but based on what I found searching (some posts here and there, including 2002faq) new boots do not last long. I noticed the same with most of the rubber. If the originals are old and cracking they need to be replaced and new grease would not hurt. I just keep that in mind, don't expect anything to last anymore and check boots and other things such as muffler hangers on the regular basis (during oil changes etc).

Max

- - - Updated - - -

well that's a bummer to hear. LOL mine were not torn, but were very rotted and cracked. one actually looks OK, I'm guessing it must have been replaced somewhere down the line. but, yeah, to MJ/s point. my car probably wont see 3-4k miles a year, and its garaged. so it should be fine for some time.
    Just don't expect any of the new stuff to last even half as long as the original parts... As far as rubber goes, I think time and climate makes more difference than mileage, the problem is that newer rubber dries up faster that old stuff used to be. These boots should last few years at least. Just check them occasionally so you can replace them before rubber rips and grease flies out.

Max

Max

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    finally gave up on these dumb axles and took them down to a local shop to have them rebuilt. new cages/bearings/boots. im glad i did it.
    now i can move on. hopefully get this subframe back in this weekend.

rebuilt axle.jpg

My Cars
    82 E21
    Glad you were able to get the axles sorted. Keep us posted on the subframe work.

MJ

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    finally got the car back together and driving. it is an amazing difference from the old clapped out suspension that was in it.
    everything went back together fairly smooth, for the exception of the sway bar, i couldn't get it aligned and the driver bracket wouldn't line up... after 30 minutes of fiddling with it i realized it had a bent tab. straightened it up and went right in. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. i do have the slightest little clunk but its not all the time and its almost not even noticeable, but i will be chasing that down to find out what it is. i decided I'm going to drive it to work this week and let the suspension settle in some, go back and re-torque everything down just to be sure and then get it aligned.
    here are some pics for you guys:

complete sub assm.jpgsway bar installed and newly rebuilt axles installed.
    new shocks.jpgshiny new parts!!
    jackstands.jpgreplacing front brake hoses and bleeding the brakes
    dead battery.jpg aaannndddd..... dead battery. ugh. jumped it so i could test drive it.
    went down the following day to get the battery exchanged. it was only 8mnths old so i got it for free. woo hoo!
    Last edited by meeceboy78; 10-30-2017 at 12:15 PM.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    mjweimer - so I figured i would have the same issue as you with the the diff mount and sub bushings, i ended up mounting the sub bushings on top of those ears you mentioned anticipating your issue, but when it came time to mount the dog bone, everything lined up fine. so im not too sure why you had to shorten yours. i checked clearance between the floor and the diff and everything seemed like i had plenty of room.

- after i got everything done and the battery replaced. i thought the car deserved a good detail. so i ended up doing a wash, polish and a wax and cleaned up the interior real good. looks almost new, rides like new. I'm very pleased with how the car is turning out. after buffing on this. im decided it needs more. im going to have my buddy do a color correction and get this thing looking like glass.

detail.jpgdetailing
    help.jpgbrother in law came over in his 92 Saab 900 to help me finish.
    work.jpg took it to work this morning. it did great. and of course the landscapers were here and blew dirt all over it. but i couldn't have got this far without the help of my dad. he has been a big help on this project.
    Last edited by meeceboy78; 10-30-2017 at 12:49 PM.

My Cars
    82 E21
    mjweimer - so I figured i would have the same issue as you with the the diff mount and sub bushings, i ended up mounting the sub bushings on top of those ears you mentioned anticipating your issue, but when it came time to mount the dog bone, everything lined up fine. so im not too sure why you had to shorten yours. i checked clearance between the floor and the diff and everything seemed like i had plenty of room.
    Hello Ryan,

Glad to hear you did not have any issues with the dog bone. Maybe mine was a fluke with build tolerances of the subframe bushings and chassis stacking up in an unfavorable way.

Your car is looking awesome and I am glad to see another get saved from a sad state. Cheers to you and your Dad on a job well done. Enjoy driving it!

MJ

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post
    Hello Ryan,

Glad to hear you did not have any issues with the dog bone. Maybe mine was a fluke with build tolerances of the subframe bushings and chassis stacking up in an unfavorable way.

Your car is looking awesome and I am glad to see another get saved from a sad state. Cheers to you and your Dad on a job well done. Enjoy driving it!

MJ
    Thank you Matt. you were a big help as well. i drove it to work yesterday and man is that a fun little car.
    i happy the car has new life again.
    still lots to do to it, but little bit at a time. i will keep updating this thread as i tinker with it.

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5
    Well, I hope it's a fluke but based on what I found searching (some posts here and there, including 2002faq) new boots do not last long. I noticed the same with most of the rubber. If the originals are old and cracking they need to be replaced and new grease would not hurt. I just keep that in mind, don't expect anything to last anymore and check boots and other things such as muffler hangers on the regular basis (during oil changes etc).

Max

- - - Updated - - -

Just don't expect any of the new stuff to last even half as long as the original parts... As far as rubber goes, I think time and climate makes more difference than mileage, the problem is that newer rubber dries up faster that old stuff used to be. These boots should last few years at least. Just check them occasionally so you can replace them before rubber rips and grease flies out.

Max

Max
    anytime I'm under the car, I brush the dirt off the boots and bellows and apply some silicon spray to keep that rubber from drying out. anyone ever tried the new-to-me gummipflege i recently read about on another thread with rubber boots?

the car looks great meeceboy. what did you use to get the paint to come back?
    Last edited by sbcrockett; 10-31-2017 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by sbcrockett View Post
    anytime I'm under the car, I brush the dirt off the boots and bellows and apply some silicon spray to keep that rubber from drying out. anyone ever tried the new-to-me gummipflege i recently read about on another thread with rubber boots?

the car looks great meeceboy. what did you use to get the paint to come back?
    thank you sbcrockett - not too much honestly, it looked dull in the photos because it had been sitting in the garage for several months straight so there was a ton of dust on it.
    washed it and then did one pass with poorboys world polish with sealant and a quick wax by Meguiar's yellow wax. it needs a better buff though than i can give it. my machine is very old and slow. i also need better product.

hmm.. i will have to try the silicon spray trick. it cant hurt i suppose.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    I'm Heading up to cars and coffee in Scottsdale, Az. tomorrow morning, 11/4/2017 if any of the locals want to go.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    well no work done to the car this weekend, but i did get to go to Scottsdale cars and coffee on Saturday morning with the family.

show 1.jpgshow 2.JPG

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320is
    well not much for updates, i haven't really done much to the car since the suspension was done, but Friday i did get the alignmet done finally. man this car drives nice. So, today my brother in law and i cruised up for some fish tacos in downtown Gilbert where i live and got some good pictures i thought i'd share.
    weather is finally nice to get out and drive.

IMG_5555.JPGTaco bound

IMG_5556.JPG
    IMG_5557.JPGBrother in laws Saab 900. this thing is mint...
    IMG_5558.JPG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast