Thread: E63 SMG smell and smoke N

My Cars
    BMW 645Ci

E63 SMG smell and smoke N

Hi,

I have been searching and cannot really find anything, so hopefully not double posting.

I own a 2004 645Ci SMG and lately i have had trouble with:
    When starting the engine (in N) and letting it idle for about 30+ seconds it starts to smell. Smell of clutch! After another little while the garage is filled with white smoke.

The car drives very fine i have had this happen 4 times our about 3-4 months.

Only one time i got the TRansmission failsafe warning about only 1st and 3rd gear being available, but all gears where there and it drives fine.

Taking it to an independant shop in a couple of days, but i would really like a heads up, to what is causing this. Have been reading a little about CPS and pumps.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Having the codes pulled (there should be stored codes even if you're not getting any warnings on the dash) when you bring in the car to the shop should give you a definitive answer as to where the issue is.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    BMW 645Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Having the codes pulled (there should be stored codes even if you're not getting any warnings on the dash) when you bring in the car to the shop should give you a definitive answer as to where the issue is.
    Yes, sure... I was just seeking advice and or expirience if anybody else had the same issue.

It is squeeking btw - like if some fool drives with the handbrake pulled... sound is just coming from the clutch. After a kilometer it stops.

The shop was not too optimistic about SMG transmission and didn't promise to fix, but have a look. Might end up at the dealership afterall (which i hope won't be the case duo to the overcharge)

Don't bring it to BMW, they are clueless regarding the SMG.

Check clutch actuator if its leaking hydraulic oil on the clutch. This is the most common issue of the Non-M SMGs.

My Cars
    BMW 645Ci
    So i have an update. The squueeqing noise end smell of burned clutch ... and smoke... seems to have its origin from a worn out V belt... the one for the aircondition. Hanging in a thin thread. No error codes on the gearbox, that transmission warning might have been a false reading and no more than a coincidence.

Fingers crossed gonna have the belt changed tommorow.