Thread: Taking Z3 to the track. Help me make it reliable!

My Cars
    2006 325i

Taking Z3 to the track. Help me make it reliable!

Car: 2001 Z3 3.0
    Miles: 134k

Done within last 100mi:

Oil and filter
    Trans and diff fluid
    Coolant
    Oil pump nut (wired and lock tight)
    Suspension and all control arms, bushings, etc.
    Race pads and rotors
    Brake fluid

Anything I am missing here? I am a little concerned about the coolant line under the intake manifold but don't want to tackle the job on worry alone.
    Last edited by bcoffin; 09-12-2017 at 09:55 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    how about the brakes? Stopping is even more important than going fast when tracking a car.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Brakes. Full fluid flush with DOT 4 fluid. Pads with at least 50% life left. If this is your first couple events and you are running street tires, just about any pad will do. As you get faster and add more aggressive tires, you will need better pads.

Tires. All matching brand/model and less than 4 years old. Do not skimp at all on your brakes and tires. They are the only thing keeping you from the wall.

Belts. If they are more than a couple of years old, spend the $25 and get new ones. It sucks to lose out on an event because you blew a belt.

Cooling system. Make sure it is completely up to par. It will be working harder than you have ever used it so if something is going to go, it will go at the track.

Seat belts. Seems like a no brained but I took my Coupe off the track because my passenger belt is sticky and doesn't retract like it should. I need to get a new one.

Helmet. Get a good one. Most clubs require a Snell 2010 rating at a minimum but will shortly require a 2015 rating. It's your brain. Take care of it. While talking about your brain, you need to keep yourself reliable during the event. Stay well hydrated with water or Gatorade like products. Avoid caffeine and carbonated products. If you are not peeing clear, you are not hydrated enough. Limit your alcohol consumption at night. I used to drink a few at night. My driving and concentration definitely suffered the next day. Now I have one, maybe two beers early and switch to water or Pepsi after that. I feel much better in the morning. Also get a good night sleep. Helps more than you know. You will be more tired than you think.

Notice I didn't mention anything about an intake or exhaust. "Upgrades" are not at all necessary for reliability. Skip them. If it's time for a new air or fuel filter, change them.

This is is by no means an exhaustive list but what came off the top of my head at 2:30 am.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    how about the brakes? Stopping is even more important than going fast when tracking a car.
    Yes, I did that! Forgot to add it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Brakes. Full fluid flush with DOT 4 fluid. Pads with at least 50% life left. If this is your first couple events and you are running street tires, just about any pad will do. As you get faster and add more aggressive tires, you will need better pads.

Tires. All matching brand/model and less than 4 years old. Do not skimp at all on your brakes and tires. They are the only thing keeping you from the wall.

Belts. If they are more than a couple of years old, spend the $25 and get new ones. It sucks to lose out on an event because you blew a belt.

Cooling system. Make sure it is completely up to par. It will be working harder than you have ever used it so if something is going to go, it will go at the track.

Seat belts. Seems like a no brained but I took my Coupe off the track because my passenger belt is sticky and doesn't retract like it should. I need to get a new one.

Helmet. Get a good one. Most clubs require a Snell 2010 rating at a minimum but will shortly require a 2015 rating. It's your brain. Take care of it. While talking about your brain, you need to keep yourself reliable during the event. Stay well hydrated with water or Gatorade like products. Avoid caffeine and carbonated products. If you are not peeing clear, you are not hydrated enough. Limit your alcohol consumption at night. I used to drink a few at night. My driving and concentration definitely suffered the next day. Now I have one, maybe two beers early and switch to water or Pepsi after that. I feel much better in the morning. Also get a good night sleep. Helps more than you know. You will be more tired than you think.

Notice I didn't mention anything about an intake or exhaust. "Upgrades" are not at all necessary for reliability. Skip them. If it's time for a new air or fuel filter, change them.

This is is by no means an exhaustive list but what came off the top of my head at 2:30 am.
    Cool, how do I check if my cooling system is "up to par"

I have a hard dog bar with harness bar installed. With a 5 point harness (with proper mounting points through the floor and trans tunnel)

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Can anyone recommend a harness bar. I am planning to install a roll bar eventually, but for now want to be able to use 5-point harness. Seats already ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    Can anyone recommend a harness bar. I am planning to install a roll bar eventually, but for now want to be able to use 5-point harness. Seats already ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just ordered the Hard Dog with diagonal bar and harness bar. I think it was $850 shipped from Bethania Garage.

What seat did you go with?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoffin View Post
    I just ordered the Hard Dog with diagonal bar and harness bar. I think it was $850 shipped from Bethania Garage.

What seat did you go with?
    Yes that seems like the harness to go with. I need to get details how to install it or find a shop in NYC area to have it installed.

I have track day coming up and for now I am hoping to use the factory hoops. I picked up temporary NRG seats just to pass the broomstick test. I might leave that for passenger side and get something better for me.

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    Yes that seems like the harness to go with. I need to get details how to install it or find a shop in NYC area to have it installed.

I have track day coming up and for now I am hoping to use the factory hoops. I picked up temporary NRG seats just to pass the broomstick test. I might leave that for passenger side and get something better for me.
    if you're going to have an instructor in the car at all, both sides need to match. Many instructors won't get it a car if the seats/harnesses don't match.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobkid View Post
    if you're going to have an instructor in the car at all, both sides need to match. Many instructors won't get it a car if the seats/harnesses don't match.
    Thanks for the tip