Thread: Safe places to lift my e60 with 2-post car lift

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport

Safe places to lift my e60 with 2-post car lift

Hi,
    I have access to multiple automotive lifts at my local military installation because I'm retired. They have frame-lifting 2-post lifts and drive-on 4-post lifts. I'm very fortunate to have them at my disposal, and pretty cheap at $12/hr for the lift plus all tools.

I usually prefer to use a 2-post lift because it allows me to remove my wheels. The problem is, the preferred jacking areas to lift a BMW are very very hard to get the lifting arms under properly, they just won't line up. Some lifts are easier than others, and some are flat-out impossible. I know which ones I can use, but sometimes they are already occupied (and sometimes for days on end).

That said...
    If I absolutely just can't get a lift that will work under the jack pads, is there another safe place(s) to put the lifting arms? In front of or farther behind the jack pads maybe along that same "rail"?

Thanks!

// Radar //
    2010 E60 535i N54 {sleeper}
    M-Sport, Alpine White w/Natural Brown Leather
    Coilovers, APEX Race Wheels
    Trebila-tuned motor, xHP Stage3 tranny tune,
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello Radar - take a look at the link below; it's a helpful guide on jacking up your E60. Hope this helps and best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ur_Vehicle.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I use the BMW jack pad adapters on the flat surface of the arm when needed. I have various pieces of wood to shim. Due to the length of the outer arms on my lift it is tricky to get the car positioned perfectly to use the pads on the ends of the inner arms. I might cut back the outer arms a bit and also pull out the inner arms and cut them back to match.

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello Radar - take a look at the link below; it's a helpful guide on jacking up your E60. Hope this helps and best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ur_Vehicle.htm
    Ehh, not really. But I learned a couple things regardless, so THANK YOU
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I use the BMW jack pad adapters on the flat surface of the arm when needed. I have various pieces of wood to shim. Due to the length of the outer arms on my lift it is tricky to get the car positioned perfectly to use the pads on the ends of the inner arms. I might cut back the outer arms a bit and also pull out the inner arms and cut them back to match.
    Yeah, that sounds about right! Move the car, reposition the arms, move the car, reposition the arms, move the car, reposition those arms, again... move the car again... reposition the arms, again.

So, the rails (not sure of real name) that the pads mount to (under the side skirts)... are they strong enough to lift the car by just like the areas where the pads mount? If so, then I will also build some kind of wooden "pads" for under there to set the lifting arms against. I mean, I can usually (easily enough) get the front OR rear pads, just not both sets at once. And the guys who work there are like, "Oh, German car...have fun with that!" Lol

// Radar //
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    No, I don't think so. I use only the 4 factory mounting points. There are other points further under the car you should be able to use, like suspension mounting points, but I have not done that and would have to get under there and look around. Using the flat surface further back on the lift arm works. Just use think wood blocks like 1 inch or 1 and 1/4 inch or 2 inches thick depending on the lift to make the BMW jack pad adapter fit at about the same height as the one on the same side that you got to fit on the end of the lift arm.

You could measure the width of the lift before getting on and measure the width of the car and rig up a couple of uprights that you could put down to guide you to center the car on any lift. Might still have to roll forward or back a bit. I just have one lift so I sort of know how each car goes on it.

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    All makes good sense. Thanks brother!
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    What type of lift is this?
    I've never seen a commercial 2 post lift that doesn't let me move the (4) lift pads independently of one another to reach the (4) lift points on the car.

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    What type of lift is this?
    I've never seen a commercial 2 post lift that doesn't let me move the (4) lift pads independently of one another to reach the (4) lift points on the car.
    Must just be the brand/model that they use there, and I honestly don't know anything about them except that they are blue with yellow arms! Lol

Imwas over there yesterday and the manager said they are buying some replacement in the next 6 months including one that's a drive-on with aux lifts to get the wheels off if needed. Sounds pretty cool.
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Mines blue with yellow arms, too. Its arms would probably fit a truck but the BMW jack points are too close together and too outboard on the chassis to work with the arm ends in stock form. Would have to shorten the arms. Might do it.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Interesting. The ones I have access to have telescoping arms that reach the jackpoints well

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Mines blue with yellow arms, too. Its arms would probably fit a truck but the BMW jack points are too close together and too outboard on the chassis to work with the arm ends in stock form. Would have to shorten the arms. Might do it.
    Now, I don't know this, I'm wondering this...maybe when these lifts are installed (or even ordered from factory) they can possibly be different lengths in between lifting posts? It seems like the ones on base are very close together, like my e60 barely fits in between them. If they were like 8-12" farther apart, I don't think there would be any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    Interesting. The ones I have access to have telescoping arms that reach the jackpoints well
    With these (on base) the arms telescope as well, but are too close to the car to get any swing before even starting to extend the arms. I mean they DO work, but not on the first try, that's for sure! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

-- you have to swing the arms apart (one forward, one rearward) before you pull the car into the stall or else you won't be able to swing the arms out afterwards, at all.
    Last edited by radarcontact; 09-13-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    FBO+Meth FUN!!!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The telescoping is the issue. Mine are 2 piece and there is always one side the is too long even with the arm fully retracted. I would need 3 piece arms with each piece shorter and retractable or I would need to shorten both pieces of my arms (which I think is doable although I have been managing for 6 years as is).

Part of the issue may also be the lift up right spacing. Mine is on the narrower end of the range. On the other hand, wider lifts may come with longer arms, resulting in the same issue when lifting some cars. There is definitely a range of available widths. I shopped with this in mind since I wanted to be able to fit a 2nd car in the garage. I agree narrow is inconvenient getting in and out of the car. They make lifts with angled uprights to address this.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 09-14-2017 at 07:53 AM.