Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Attention in-car Android Tablet users

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is

Attention in-car Android Tablet users

Hey everyone. If there's anyone that uses an Android tablet in their car or has integrated one into the dash, I am working on an interface with a live-wallpaper app called KLWP for a simple and easy to use one screen interface for all of your car content needs.

The picture of it now is just a very rough idea of whats to come. So far it's just a music player with a clock and some apps off to the side. You can probably tell it's inspired by Apple's CarPlay, they know esthetics so why not.

Let me know what you think and what you would want to see. The only thing I don't believe I could add on-screen is: any live car data or live weather maps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    '95 325is in semi-rare Arctic Gray, clears, some ///M ​parts, and much more to come!

My Build Thread

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Android Auto is the Android version of CarPlay. I have it in my Sony headunit. It's not the same as having your tablet or your entire phone screen in the dash. You're limited to certain aps like music, nav, phone and a few others. Neither CarPlay or Android Auto work over Bluetooth. You have to plug your phone into the USB port on the head unit.

Obviously for safety reasons they won't put your web browser or social media aps on there. So what are your plans? How will yours be different?

I have a 2004 330. My headunit is a double din screen with a single din chassis. It fits into the dash without any modifications.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Android Auto is the Android version of CarPlay. I have it in my Sony headunit. It's not the same as having your tablet or your entire phone screen in the dash. You're limited to certain aps like music, nav, phone and a few others. Neither CarPlay or Android Auto work over Bluetooth. You have to plug your phone into the USB port on the head unit.

Obviously for safety reasons they won't put your web browser or social media aps on there. So what are your plans? How will yours be different?

I have a 2004 330. My headunit is a double din screen with a single din chassis. It fits into the dash without any modifications.
    My main gripe with head unit software is that it's slow, clunky, and unintuitive. That's why I want to simplify it as much as possible so when you DO need information, it's very easily accessible and very safe to do so without combing through menus and settings while you're driving. The apps that go along with Android Auto and Apple Car Play are often just the same as the overall software (slow, unintuitive, etc.).

A tablet offers you total customizability and to my estimation, more safety, at the sacrifice of not-so-complete integration with the audio system (although it could be done with a bit of work, if not already integrated).

What I want to make specifically different is to have almost any safe-while-driving action you make, a maximum of two or three touch actions away, and keep the visual information to an efficient minimum so it's nothing that distracts you.

Having the access of full-fledged and easy to use apps on the tablet is something I think many people would like to see in an infotainment center.

The app I'm using to make the interface has an incredible amount of features to pull information from relevant apps and display it in almost infinite ways. And any information aquiring features it doesn't have inborn can be broadcasted with Tasker and read through the app to display it. So again, practically limitless customization.

The one-page design I have right now is more of a rough blueprint. I would like to have the relevant apps on a separate page for when you're stopped and can safely use them for their full information, (although there's really nothing preventing you from using them while driving) .

Using a tablet instead of a head unit would also make you rely on tethering your tablet to your phones signal if the tablet you have isn't cell enabled. So, downside there. Not a huge one in my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grauhund; 09-11-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    '95 325is in semi-rare Arctic Gray, clears, some ///M ​parts, and much more to come!

My Build Thread