Thread: M62B44 Eaton M112 project... in an e30

My Cars
    '90 344is, '99 318i e46

M62B44 Eaton M112 project... in an e30

Hi Guys,

I have had my e30 for a few years now and swapped an M62B44 OBD1 in it about 1.5 years ago.

I like the power/weight ratio but we all want more so I just purchased a full Jaguar XKR supercharger kit to install on it.
    I have seen this mod done a few times and it doesn't seem really difficult with some help from my friend who is a professional welder for the nuclear industry.

Right now, I am missing the Crankshaft pulley and belt tensioner, but I also need to learn more about supercharging as I have been reading more about turbos than anything else in the past.
    Are there many twin screw/root SC projects on the forum installed on a V8?
    Would you recommend any specific readings to help my in my new challenge?

Here are a few pics of the car and SC I just purchased.

The kit I purchased:

One that I found installed:

Thanks for your input
    e30 344is (318is M62B44), e30 318i touring (m42 swap)

My Cars
    250 & 2.5 Hellrot
    Looks awesome. i looking into doing a m62 swap.
    You running factory harness and ecu?

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    I`m really interested in this thread as i have the same Jag Eaton unit to fit to my 540, at the moment i`m mocking up an adapter plate to mate up to the Jag charge coolers.

Is that the same kit that the German guy is selling on ebay ?

My Cars
    '90 344is, '99 318i e46
    Hi,
    Cool, it makes 2 of us trying to do the same thing
    Yes, the kit used on Ebay is the Jag base, so it is possible, for sure.
    I am waiting to receive the parts to start on it.
    My idea is either to cut and weld the charge coolers, or to make a new plate replacing the original jag plate. I have to check if it is possible at all depending on the distance between intake holes.
    Then, I believe the headache will be to install the SC in place to be lined up with the pulley, charge coolers, etc...
    I have a spare engine out of the car, so I will be using that to fit the SC to start.

Do you have the crank pulley with your kit (i don't have mine) and will need to source one, but not sure about the diameter as I'd like to start with 6-7 psi not to blow the engine.

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    Hi

I`v gone this route for now, not sure if it is the right way but the pictures explain themselves.

The adapter plate pictured will provide a nice bolt down plate to mount the charger on, and i plan to wield in adapters from this plate to the Jag charge coolers.

I`m happy to receive feedback from anyone with better ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '90 344is, '99 318i e46
    Hi,
    It's great to find other members going through the same install
    Thanks for sharing.

Initially, I was planning on modifying each charge cooler base to match the intake holes but I had no solution yet for the SC itself, so your idea sounds like a good option.
    I haven't received my SC yet so I haven't been able to test the fitting on the engine really.
    I will keep your idea in mind and discuss with a friend who will be machining parts and welding aluminum for me.
    At least, your solution solves the alignement issue, which as one of my concerns.

Did you check the height? is it about the same as the OEM intake?
    I am concerned about that as mine is going into an e30 and the engine cover is already kissing the hood

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    When the charger is sitting on the plate, it stands approximately 19 cm to the big hex nut on the top of the charger. sorry about the pic quality.

20131121_143802.jpg20131121_144032.jpg

My Cars
    '90 344is, '99 318i e46
    Thanks for the info, I don't remember the height of the intake manifold, but that doesn't sound crazy.

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    I`m gonna have to pass this job on soon to my fabricator, who i`m hoping, will be as enthusiastic about it as i am. It will of course earn him money, which should please him, whether he likes my idea with this plate is another thing, but i see no other obvious place it could be mounted to.

I`ll also need to learn something about the stock ECU, like can it run it, will it just need mapping ? I`m also making it harder for myself as i like to run LPG as well as petrol but that has its own ECU.
    A CCV catch can is gonna be needed i assume, along with a host of other stuff i know nothing about.
    So i`ll be happy to see how you go on with yours, and any info people might like to share will be welcome.

My Cars
    '90 344is, '99 318i e46
    I'll make sure to keep you posted, and please do the same, it's always good to share ideas.
    I think i will be limited to the machining ability but i have a good welder that can help to fab up quite a few things.
    for the ECU, i'm pretty sure it can work fine, as long as you don't push to much psi, i'm planning on 6-7 pi to start and will upgade the engine management to a standalone later on to eliminate the MAF
    i have already built an SS catch can for my engine since my internal oil seperator is defective, i'll post pics later.

please keep us posted on the fabrication of the plate, i'll do the same

My Cars
    '90 344is, '99 318i e46
    Anyone else tinkering with the idea of installing an M112 on an M60/M62?
    I'm interested in sharing with any member that is thinking of doing so, or has done it in the past to share experiences.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by naika View Post

Do you have the crank pulley with your kit (i don't have mine) and will need to source one, but not sure about the diameter as I'd like to start with 6-7 psi not to blow the engine.
    No i don't have another crank pulley other than the one on the M62 engine now, will we have to source a new one and is there space to keep the clutch fan or will that have to be replaced ?
    I must admit i`m in new territory planning this supercharger mod, so all you FI heads please chime in with any info.

My Cars
    e30 340, e36 316
    hello, finally I have found some people that are interested in doing same thing that I want to do Just I want to put m112 on m60 not on m62. I already have m112 it self but still struggling to get intake manifolds from jaguar. Also I have seen one example where m112 is on side of the motor and then through big intercooler connected to stock intake manifold but this setup makes a lot of mess under the hood. So it will be nice to read your ideas and share mine with you

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    I`m still working with mine, getting the blower and cool chargers to physically fit the engine.

I`ll let you know how things go.

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    This is awesome! And even cooler that it is going into an e30

Superscribed

My Cars
    e30 340, e36 316
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny1958 View Post
    I`m still working with mine, getting the blower and cool chargers to physically fit the engine.

I`ll let you know how things go.
    and maybe you know what size lower pulley (not on SC itself) should be? because I don't have original one so probably I would have to make new one.

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    http://www.jg-supercharger.com/bmw-e38-740i-4-0l-motor/

This guy has a similar kit. I've been researching for awhile. This may help.

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    bump
    e39 540i 6speed Supercharged,
    E36 v8 m62 with m60 headers, Turbp HX-40 0.6-0.5bar or 9psi, custom exhaust & Turbo manifold, injectors 440cc, ECU Invent EMS-2, Mishimoto Intercooler and oilcooler, etc…