Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BrokeNeck autocross turbo build

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Crap! I wish I'd known. I have one of those here that I won't be using!
    Damn oh well, I have an autocross this Saturday so I wanted to try and get it before then anyways, thanks though

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by brokeneck View Post
    Damn oh well, I have an autocross this Saturday so I wanted to try and get it before then anyways, thanks though
    Worked out. Someone saw my post and scooped it up! Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Worked out. Someone saw my post and scooped it up! Thanks!
    👌🏼 Well if anybody needs a walbro 255 I’ll have one lying around.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Haven't been on here in a while. Took a spill on a motorcycle a few weeks ago got me knee beat up, but doesn't matter because the bmw started falling on its face anyways.

It was running and driving fine and then one night I started driving home from work, started to get on throttle, and the car fell on its face and cut out. Usually when that happens its something to do with my intake boot having a tendency to pop off my maf sensor at higher boost but this time all checked out. Was able to start it and idled fine if not a bit lean and limped it home with the lightest possible throttle because the second the turbo began to spool and i start hitting positive pressure, car falls on its face and goes rich.
    This makes me think its the fuel pressure regulator. It isnt a gradual enriching either it is very sudden.

Started it back up the other day after a few weeks and still same conditions. Runs fine idling and under very low load but if it starts to hit boost then it falls on its face and goes rich.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Checked over most of my intake system doesnt seem like any massive air leaks or pinched lines.

Quick car recap:
    e85
    aeromotive 340lph fuel pump
    60 lb seimens deka injectors
    stock fpr
    gt3076r turbo
    Last edited by brokeneck; 02-06-2019 at 05:59 PM.

My Cars
    M3 w/Gt35r
    Did you check to make sure the idle control valve hasn't popped out?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by IR M5 View Post
    Did you check to make sure the idle control valve hasn't popped out?
    Yeah that was the other place I checked when going through intake piping, seemed like it was all still hooked up fine. I'll check again though to be sure.

Went looking again, couldnt find anything but it makes sense that it would be a post MAF leak since its going rich. Going to try taking off the intake manifold and peak and check everything.
    Last edited by brokeneck; 02-07-2019 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So I took off the intake manifold and checked through everything post MAF, everything seemed to check out. I even replaced the MAF and IACV with extras I had just to be sure and still same issue of it falling on its face going into boost.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Did you check fuel pressures at idle and at WOT?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Did you check fuel pressures at idle and at WOT?
    Haven’t checked that yet, I don’t currently have a gauge set up but since the intake checked I thinks it’s gotta be injectors, regulator or pump. I’ll have to see about checking pressure.
    I’m also gunna try logging it and see if I can see anything weird going on. It still hasn’t thrown a check engine light though at any point, wouldn’t it throw one with low fuel pressure?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Fuel pressure is a primary troubleshooting step. There is no fuel pressure sensor for the ecu. A fuel pressure issue will usually only show up as a misfire or LTFT out of range.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So found my issue, i had about 2-3 cups of water sitting down in the bottom of my intercooler. My intake is in my wheel well so when it rained awhile back, it must have sucked up a bunch out of a puddle. I didn't know I was building a mechanical straw.

Fortunately I don't think i bent any connecting rods or blew my head gasket. ARP head studs coming in to save the day. So I guess up to this point once the turbo started giving positive pressure it would force a bit of "water injection" through my intake and load the engine pretty bad. Also that same water, im assuming, when it got sucked through the turbo got into my boost controller pressure valve and rusted it stuck so I was boosting up to 18 psi after I got all the water out. Cleaned if off, car is back to normal now.

When it was over-boosting I was getting a weird issue where my revs would shoot up to the limiter past 4000 rpm and would stay there even with the clutch in. Not sure what that was all about but it hasnt really happen since so im still tweaking with my throttle body to try and figure it out.

Just a nice fat moment.

Thanks to all for the help, hoping to up to a walbro 450 so i can up the boost a bit or even still if i can find myself a little e30 chassis

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So regarding the walbro 450 fp, the whole reason behind it is I seem to be getting fuel starvation around 10 psi accelerating in any gear 2nd and up when you stomp on it around 3000 rpm. Since I'm running e85 i figured it is mostly the fuel pump that I need to amp up. Currently the system is on a aeromotive 340 fp, 60 lb injectors and stock everything else including regulator. My question is, would it be more effective to get an adjustable fpr over the stock system or will the bigger pump on its own work fine. Don't think I need to get much more power out of the current system (I say that now), but I want to make it healthy.

What initially seemed unrelated, might also be part of the issue. When autocrossing on e85, once the car gets down to about a 1/4 tank, I get bad fuel starvation in the long right hander we have, so once that happens it basically ends my day. It never happened before when running on pump gas and still happens at boost levels of around 6psi when I attempt to turn it down and manage it. My initial thoughts was fuel slosh and I have been trying to find a solid fuel sock to put on that fills the reservoir, but could this also just be the same issue with the pump?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    60lb injectors wide open (as in 100% duty cycle) is only "about" 215 liters per hour (60lbs is roughly 600cc/min times 60 minutes times 6 injectors), so if your 340 liter per hour pump is running at full potential it should be easily up to the task. The fuel starvation is definitely a known problem for autocross and track cars and is discussed at GREAT length here on the forums.
    Last edited by jakermac; 03-17-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345