Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BrokeNeck autocross turbo build

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So good news I figured it out, in a fit of rage I threw the hammer away and just slapped the lifter with the board itself and it popped right apart. I only have 5 that weren't holding pressure and getting stiff when I pumped them up so I will take those apart and clean them and then should be able to put the cams in.

now in not sure whether the lifters should be somewhat compressible by hand or not, I took one of the pumped ones apart and it seemed pretty jammed at the bottom so I took it apart,cleaned it, pumped it, and now it squeezes down a little bit so I'm not sure whether that is supposed to happen or not
    Last edited by brokeneck; 10-28-2017 at 08:21 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySf0r8GGMOY

Smacky lifter against wood next time broh.
    1994 325is- M52 swap, Fan delete, AA chip, CAI, TC-Kline DA, H&R 28mm front sway, Kevin Higgins exhaust, kosei k1 17x8.5's with RA1's, DS2's with REO1R's, 3.23 lsd

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So I am now trying to get the engine all squared away, outside the car. I have some new lifters on the way, so once those get here putting the s52 cams in should be easy. Right now I am mostly having trouble figuring out the wastegate flange. I ordered a flange and it wasn't the right size for the manifold, and the wastegate comes with the flanges it needs for the v band inlet and outlet. Do I need to get a universal flange that fits the manifold and then weld on the v band that they gave me with the wastegate?

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT
    Is it a spa manifold? It uses a smaller flange, best bet is to order one from technica, or from a spa dealer. I would not fab the wastegate pipe outside the car. It is a very tight fit against the frame rail.

You need to design a pipe that places the wastegate down next to the transmission. You will never fit the wastegate directly off the manifold.

below is the part spa sells

https://spaturbousa.com/products/was...nifold-tmspt02
    Last edited by vr6dubny; 11-07-2017 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6dubny View Post
    Is it a spa manifold? It uses a smaller flange, best bet is to order one from technica, or from a spa dealer. I would not fab the wastegate pipe outside the car. It is a very tight fit against the frame rail.

You need to design a pipe that places the wastegate down next to the transmission. You will never fit the wastegate directly off the manifold.

below is the part spa sells

https://spaturbousa.com/products/was...nifold-tmspt02

Yeah it's a spa manifold. Okay I'll probably end up getting that then, but then do I need another flange to get it to go to a v band? This is what came with the wastegate:IMG_8443.jpg

My Cars
    95 M3 Turbo, 08 535xiT
    If you buy the spa piece I would have lower flange cut off and vband welded on after I confirmed fitment

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by vr6dubny View Post
    If you buy the spa piece I would have lower flange cut off and vband welded on after I confirmed fitment
    Yeah I was thinking something like that. Alright well I'll order it and find out. Thanks for the quick responses
    Last edited by brokeneck; 11-07-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Forgot a thank you

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So I wanted to get some advice for the last few parts I need to order. What I need is the oil flange from the turbo, bung, and hose for the oil return, and coolant lines to and from the turbo. I was wondering if I need to get AN fittings and AN line or if i can just get barbed fittings and hose clamp them like I have seen in some pictures. I have read that I need to use 10 AN hosing so that the turbo can drain fast enough, but am I able to buy AN hosing and just hose clamp it?
    Also for the coolant lines, what size should they be and do I need AN line?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Hey so I’m looking for some help with my oil drain, I am trying out different clocking positions on the turbo to try and find the best spot and so far not much success, the oil drain is coming out right above the oil pan and it seems hard pressed to fit the an fittings and a sliver of stainless steel hose in there to drain it without having the line go lower than the bung on the oil pan and then curve back up. Here are some pictures, sorry the quality isn’t very good:
    63B7B56B-8A6C-44E7-8FEA-4F0DAA1F49AE.jpg
    The picture is sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by czkb View Post
    in past i had a m52b25 running on ms41.0 (uk)
    i had a broken o2 sensor. ended up running only one of them,
    you just have to edit flags.
    this might help,
    http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...p?f=42&t=11421
    quoting myself,
    while going thru google drive found back what i had used to edit mine,
    i knew i had it somewhere, there it is.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...jb8kEPWsQ/edit

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Alright, build update:

I now have the engine with the turbo in the car and everything all bolted back up, plugged back in, and vaccum lines sorted. Now its just dropping the injectors in and putting the m50 manifold back on, exhaust fabbing, and intercooler plumbing.

I have a few questions though:

First off, is there anything specific I need to do to successfully delete the secondary air pump?

Also, now that I will soon be starting tuning it with romraider, what do you guys think is my best starting course of action.
    I read the partial stock tune off the ecu before I took it apart and now it will have an m50 manifold, s52 cams, 60# injectors, and a Nissan slot MAF. I am going to put in the smallest wastegate spring I have initially which I think is 5 psi. Should I try initially with stock injectors and MAF to at least try and get it tuned a little better for the m50 and s52 cams. Or should I just try hooking everything up and trying to start it and slowly working my way from there.

This would be on 91 octane, but I do have an e85 station 12 miles from me if you guys think there is no hope on 91.

Pictures:
    IMG_8646.jpg
    Old engine out

IMG_8664.jpg
    cleaned-ish engine bay

IMG_8669.JPG
    new fx stage 2 clutch kit

DSC_0307.jpg
    the snail in position
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brokeneck; 12-30-2017 at 12:41 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So I now have the car up and running, I'll be posting pictures soon here, but it started first try and didn't blow up contrary to my expectations.

I drove it around the block today on the tuning I did for the bigger injectors and it seems decent enough at around 11-13 afr moving around slow while warm but it started to get kinda high once I started getting into boost, but man does the boost feel good.

What can I wire my wideband into in the center gravestone to make it switch off on and on with the ignition? I currently have it wired to the cigarette lighter

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I found the power feed to the radio that was switched. There are usually 2 going to the radio, one unswitched (usually yellow?) and one switched (red?). I might have that backwards though.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I found the power feed to the radio that was switched. There are usually 2 going to the radio, one unswitched (usually yellow?) and one switched (red?). I might have that backwards though.
    Ill have to check it out, is there anyway to check and make sure which is switched other than cutting it and testing it with a multimeter?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    A piece of wire, a 12v lightbulb and unplugging the radio will do it. Or spending some time googling the wire colors for the E36 radio wiring.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    Red with grey stripe is switched radio power. I wired my oil pressure and water temp gauge illumination to that wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    skateboard
    Very fancy. Interesting choice in turbo. Not something I'd go with on a 2.8li motor, but should make for a fun setup.

RK tunes FTW

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Very fancy. Interesting choice in turbo. Not something I'd go with on a 2.8li motor, but should make for a fun setup.

RK tunes FTW
    A gt3076 is perfect for a 2.8 for auto-x, or a fun street car IMO. Quick spool with easy 400-450whp capability. Who cares if it dies a bit after 6k, when you spool it before 3k?

He already had the turbo, so no sense spending on another one. Sure if he was buying a new one, there are better options with newer turbine tech, but that's not the case here.
    Last edited by e30polak; 01-25-2018 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    A gt3076 is perfect for a 2.8 for auto-x, or a fun street car IMO. Quick spool with easy 400-450whp capability. Who cares if it dies a bit after 6k, when you spool it before 3k?

He already had the turbo, so no sense spending on another one. Sure if he was buying a new one, there are better options with newer turbine tech, but that's not the case here.
    I did say it was going to make for a fun setup.

He should also consider RK tunes for tuning. I've had his tunes on several of my cars.

Hi 5

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    So I know I said this a long time ago and these arent too good of pictures, but this is what I've got. Also my car is kinda function over form at the moment.

Somehow I've managed to not blow my car up and tune it decently with Romraider through the help of the people on the Romraider site and special shout out to tptrsn for all his help and advice in getting me through the tuning process on this car, really wouldn't have happened without him. Currently running 7 psi on 91 octane and the boost comes in nice and early.

Anyways the car managed to survive its first autocross of the season and I managed to rank pretty high up in my class with street tires. I also went on a 500+ mile round trip road trip to Sacramento and San Francisco the day after the autocross and still managed to stay in one piece. (my lost hearing will be missed)

Here are some pics and a link to some autocross gopro footage:

DSC_0467.jpg
    pardon the bumper

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg
    Im pretty happy I got the boost controller to fit in

autocross run (a lot of wind noise after the first little bit): https://youtu.be/eCQHcRZVHjQ

Thanks to everybody for helping and answering questions along the way im sure ill have plenty more, just a nice little milestone.
    Last edited by brokeneck; 03-30-2018 at 01:01 AM.

My Cars
    E36 2JZ
    If you have E85 within 15 miles I'd go that route (or flex fuel) with your setup. No need for lower compression if you do and you can run 20psi and 450whp Right now I'm sure your car is a blast to drive but we usually end up wanting a tad more power. You could upsize your turbine AR for 200 bucks or so and make 30 more HP at ac similar boost level. Or just enjoy it until you're really ready for an AutoX beast 😉

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by JOutterbridge View Post
    If you have E85 within 15 miles I'd go that route (or flex fuel) with your setup. No need for lower compression if you do and you can run 20psi and 450whp Right now I'm sure your car is a blast to drive but we usually end up wanting a tad more power. You could upsize your turbine AR for 200 bucks or so and make 30 more HP at ac similar boost level. Or just enjoy it until you're really ready for an AutoX beast 
    Yeah im currently running into quite a bit of limitation on 91, Im not able to have enough ignition timing without knock. With some octane booster it was decent so maybe if there was 93 around me, but there are more e85 stations near me then there are 93.

Im gunna tweak my tune and go fill er up.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Have you tried adding 1-2 gallons of e85 to a tank of 91 yet? It will make a huge difference. Your AFRs may have to be richened up a bit so do some testing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast