RM European Auto Parts

Thread: S-54 vanos

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3

S-54 vanos

So here is one for ages. I turn my M3 in to the Dealership to have 2 things done, yes even I need help sometime
    1) Install the VANOS
    2) Check/Adjust the timing

They have the car for a month, and I had to ask what is going on every time, no phone call or email until I started going to the Service Adviser and asking for updates. As a customer, it is not my responsibility to keep asking for updates, or needing to come by to see what is going on. The service adviser said that they installed the VANOS 3 times, well if you keep doing it WRONG, that is what you have to do to get it right.
    Like I said, 4 weeks and it is still not fixed. I keep getting two codes: Intake/Exhaust VANOS Over advanced. The Head mechanic even had the nerve to say he didn't know how to fix it. Dude, you timed it WRONG.
    I will not use any names of Dealership or Service adviser so do bother to ask.

So I just wanted to confirm what I do believe is correct.

Fault codes from INPA is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hi Darin,

It certainly sounds like they need to give your car to a tech who follows directions. There's nothing EASY about setting the timing on an S54, or an S62. But, really, everything locks into place, and if you just follow the directions with the greatest possible care, it's going to be timed correctly.

At the end of the timing procedure, you rotate the engine, then put all the timing tools back on. If the tool projects by more than 1/2 mm, the timing is wrong, and you have to redo it.

Every now and then, an Indie is allowed to say, "I dunno", (usually on a brand new car!) A dealership really can't claim this....they need to bring in one of their senior factory guys, and fix the damned car!

Was it running correctly when they got it, or were the same codes present at that time?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The backstory is I had sent my VANOS out to Dr VANOS.com to get rebuilt, which is a whole different story. Well they sent me a VANOS with a busted connector. I was able to borrow a complete VANOS from a M-Flight member, and I installed it after I drove the car on the busted VANOS for about 300 miles just to get the car home.

So to answer, no, no codes were present before I sent the car to the dealership. I just didn't feel like removing the M-Flight members VANOS and reinstalling the one from Dr VANOS after they had sent it back fixed. Call me lazy at the time as I didn't want to do it. Now looking back as they say hindsight is 20/20 I should have just spent the Saturday doing it myself.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    So I engaged the Dealership again with my findings, and how the fault codes were not the result of a faulty VANOS unit, but it not being installed properly. I am booked in for next Monday to drop it off and they have 72hrs to get it right this time.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    So an update of sorts.

I took the car back on Monday so they can have another crack at it, and this was the results:

1) With the timing set perfect and using the holes drilled by DrVANOS.com the unit moved side to side as they turned the motor over.
    2) So they set the exhaust back into the original holes and the car run, but now there is an Intake code which I will have to pull when I get some time.

Now I must have had bad luck with Dr. VANOS as this will be the third time I had to deal with this. I am trying to figure out what I did to deserve all this bad Karma.......
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Darin, have you talked with Chris Gant at Dr. Vanos about this? Over the years, he's been exceptionally helpful to me several times, and maybe he can advise what the heck's going on with your issue?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, I have sent him a message on Thursday, and still a waiting a reply. Normally they are pretty good, but for some reason or another, it seems Karma is just playing with my emotions.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Darin, have a bier! Good German bier always soothes Ms Karma!!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Update:

Chris from Dr. VANOS is taking the unit back and will send me another one. I will be storing the car over the long weekend next month.

All in all in the end I have to give it to Dr. VANOS (Chris) for going the extra mile to ensure everything is working right. It's just frustrating after doing all this and the car still isn't right.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Chris Gant went the extra mile for me, a couple of times, before I ever bought a thing from them. He babied me through my first S54 disintegrating cam gear bolt job, with zero special tools well over a decade ago on Maui, and has freely given much of his time and experience.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Okay, pulled the VANOS back off today, come to find out you really do not need any special tools. In order to pull the VANOS off, I removed the caps and rotated the motor in reverse direction to get the cams to push the adjusters out enough to loosen them off the VANOS.

So on Monday, I will be sending the unit back to Chris and should be getting the new one back before Christmas I hope.

Next fun will be to pull the thermostat housing off so I can tighten up a chain guide bolt. It seems that they like to make noise similar to what the VANOS makes.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    So an update:

Hi Darin,
    Just letting you know we received the vanos back today. Thank you for returning it.

Yes, the oil pump disc was drilled slightly off. Very sorry about that, not even sure how that happened but hopefully everything is working properly again.

Have a good Christmas holiday.

Chris

I wonder if I should ask for some compensation in all of this? Normally I like doing a job only once, and this is the 2nd time I had issues, and suggestion would be nice.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I believe that you are justified in asking for the expenses, since they provided a faulty part, which caused an expense which was their fault....and they know it.

You're a pro, and you brought your business all the way from Germany -- where excellence is expected. "We mis-drilled it" is not an option.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Thank-you Chris, and when the part comes in, I will ask Mr. Grant for the postage that was paid from me, multiple times to him. Sure they did pay the return postage, but after all of this, it isn't pennys.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    What about the repeated labor, at the dealer's, wasn't it?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    It was only a 1-time charge from the dealership, they honored the warranty actually when I took it back. I think they wanted me to drive it around and get a feel for what it was doing, and the vanos was what was actually wrong, not their timing.

I was feeling lazy and didn't want to mess with it that one time, and I don't plan on taking it back unless I have other problems that I cannot figure out.

So even with all that, I still have a rattle at 1.5k and 2.5k. After reading a bit, it seems that the timing guide on the intake side can get loose and cause a similar rattling sound. The fun part is the bolt sits right behind the thermostat housing, so have to drain the coolant, pull the upper housing off and see if that bolt is loose.

If anybody else have any other ideas of what it could be, please do chime in.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member