My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.

Blinker doesn't make sound - computer scroll button sometimes does not work.

Hello Everyone and thank you a head of time for all of your effort.

THE STORY: My blinker only makes the clicking sound when it want's to do so, some days it does, some days it doesn't (The outside blinkers work and so does the blinker light in the dash). In possibly a related matter; on the stalk is the control for the computer readout on the dash (scroll through options MPG, etc). This is not very responsive; I have to fight with the button sometimes. Also, the airbag light stays on. The mechanic couldn't turn it off.

THE QUESTION: The clicking, is that the relay or something wrong with the blinker stalk? Would replacing the stalk solve both issues?

THE WHAT: 2001 (July/2000) BMW X5 3.0i E53.

Thank you much!
    Last edited by LIOTB; 09-11-2017 at 02:10 PM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by LIOTB View Post
    Hello Everyone and thank you a head of time for all of your effort.

THE STORY: My blinker only makes the clicking sound when it want's to do so, some days it does, some days it doesn't (The outside blinkers work and so does the blinker light in the dash). In possibly a related matter; on the stalk is the control for the computer readout on the dash (scroll through options MPG, etc). This is not very responsive; I have to fight with the button sometimes.

THE QUESTION: The clicking, is that the relay or something wrong with the blinker stalk? Would replacing the stalk solve both issues?

THE WHAT: 2001 (July/2000) BMW X5 3.0i E53.

Thank you much!
    The noise actually comes from a relay on the cluster board. It's the one in the upper right in the photo. Siemens V23072. I don't know if the issues would be related or not. Seems to me the signal is getting to the cluster if the blinker light is working there.

http://bimmerboard.com/members/zappe...ter_arrow1.JPG

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Thank you, Mayorchuck for your quick response and the extra mile on the picture. I was wondering if the relay was located somewhere else. I hope it's easy to get to to replace. So, it looks like I will have to replace the stalk and the relay. Would you agree?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    That's a tough call. I would probably just live with it as I hardly use the BC button on the stalk. I've never heard of one of those relays going bad in the E38 forum. Seems like someone accidentally broke one some years back and that's how he learned what it was for. Could be an I-Bus issue or something on the cluster board not allowing the signal thru. If I used the BC button I would probably replace the stalk either way. That will give you a chance to check the connection as well. Never had to mess with one so not sure what is required.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    Thank you for all the information, it helps. Serious, never one of them going bad? Even though I can live with it, I will replace the stalk as part of a diagnosis and that fact that this talk is old and warn anyway. However, how would I check for the I-Bus or the cluster board issue of which you spoke? Dumb question-where is the cluster board located? The stalk is pretty easy to replace.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    The photo above is the cluster out of it's casing. I have no experience with schematics or using a oscilloscope. If you have I-bus issues, you would probably be having other problems. Since you seem to have a physical issue with the BC button, I would start with replacing the stalk and go from there. Just my thoughts. Perhaps someone else here has dealt with this before. Good luck.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    That sounds logical, I will get a new stalk and go from there. Thank you for all of your valuable time.

As you said maybe someone else might have farther insight. If someone does please let me know.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5 E53 3.0i.
    I feel really dumb Mayorchuck, I for got to mention that the airbag light stays on and the mechanic couldn't turn it off.