Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Factory Radio Option for '87 M6 To Replace Aftermarket Gut Job

My Cars
    1987 M6, 2015 X3 35i

Factory Radio Option for '87 M6 To Replace Aftermarket Gut Job

Hello All,

New guy here but loving the forum so far. I'm a new owner of an '87 M6 that someone appears to have gutted the factory system. A late-90's early-00's CD player looks absolutely horrible in the dash, and I have determined that they circumvented the fader and the factory amp and ran wires directly to the speakers. My original plan was to install the original head unit which was included with the car, but that might be a project for a little down the road when I get more adventurous with taking things apart.

I then thought a good interim solution would be a more correct looking BMW radio with an internal amp that would fit in the factory dash. I started getting bug eyed trying to cross check US models and years for a good match. Here are my questions.

1. What's a specific model # or year/model of a BMW radio that didn't require an outboard amp that would work well for now?
    2. The included factory radio has the side-wing-things to hold it in place, but it also has a hole in the rear center. In other vehicles I have owned, this was where a peg of sorts fit in and stabilized the radio. Did the '87 E24 not have this or was it removed during the bad aftermarket install?
    3. There is a blue plastic connector, about 1.25" or so long with a needle-like piece in the center of it and two brown/red wires connected to it. I can't find any reference to this on a wiring diagram. What is it? What's it for and should it be connected to something?

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum firstly!

Secondly, you'll need to see if there was indeed a BMW factory fit head unit for the USA market that was fitted to the E24. If so, you'll then need to find one, and then you'll need to hope it works and then you'll need to hope it continues to work longer term. It'll most likely be good only for FM radio reception as it'll pre-date CD's and cassettes are all but extinct nowadays.

You'll need to look in the E24 specific section to see what the oem wiring loom was like and also what physical fitment aspects you mention are or should be.

The car is 30 years old now and you might be better off fabricating a small single DIN faceplate and adapt it to hold a small display say from a mobile hands free kit that can control an ipod too. You could then pair your mobile phone with it and stream via bluetooth audio for internet radio stations and then play your ipod for when you want your own specific playlist/songs etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by CinnabarShark View Post
    Hello All,

New guy here but loving the forum so far. I'm a new owner of an '87 M6 that someone appears to have gutted the factory system. A late-90's early-00's CD player looks absolutely horrible in the dash, and I have determined that they circumvented the fader and the factory amp and ran wires directly to the speakers. My original plan was to install the original head unit which was included with the car, but that might be a project for a little down the road when I get more adventurous with taking things apart.

I then thought a good interim solution would be a more correct looking BMW radio with an internal amp that would fit in the factory dash. I started getting bug eyed trying to cross check US models and years for a good match. Here are my questions.

1. What's a specific model # or year/model of a BMW radio that didn't require an outboard amp that would work well for now?
    2. The included factory radio has the side-wing-things to hold it in place, but it also has a hole in the rear center. In other vehicles I have owned, this was where a peg of sorts fit in and stabilized the radio. Did the '87 E24 not have this or was it removed during the bad aftermarket install?
    3. There is a blue plastic connector, about 1.25" or so long with a needle-like piece in the center of it and two brown/red wires connected to it. I can't find any reference to this on a wiring diagram. What is it? What's it for and should it be connected to something?
    I would seriously consider correct looking modern head unit if I were you. None of stock BMW radio's used internal amp IIRC and BMWs of that vintage used a common ground speaker setup which would be PITA to revert to from what you already have.

My Cars
    1987 M6, 2015 X3 35i
    Thanks guys. I thought I'd post what I ended up doing just in case someone else has a similar issue or question.
    The C43 Business cassette radio has an internal amp and looks at least close enough to that period to pass for stock. I found a wiring harness that fits that radio on eBay, a sort of 'reverse install' for just this type of return-to-factory situation. I cut out the Sony harness and using that as a guide I wired in the new harness, effectively giving my E24 the factory wiring of an E36. I discovered I needed an antenna adapter as well to connect the older style to the newer euro diversity connection. The C43 doesn't fit as flush as the original head unit, but it's a huge improvement from a flashy aftermarket piece.

I also stumbled on a little black box from LaPower on eBay that claimed to connect to the CD changer and give an Aux, BT, USB, and SD options. I hadn't heard of it, so I didn't have high hopes, but it works great! I put it in the glove box and it controls my phone from BT, and it also has a mic for hands free calling. I really just wanted an aux input, so this is a really pleasant surprise. The overall sound is really pretty low quality. It is after all, an old Alpine head unit powering even older speakers, but on long drives I at least have option for a little background sound other than the S38 humming along under the hood.
    E24withC43Radio.jpg

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Nice job! I was eyeing those adapters on ebay too, I am glad it worked out well. Thanks for posting back.