Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1992 525ix - Gletscherblau Metallic

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Just caught up--what a good read and a nice little gem of an E34!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Thank you!

Got back to the car yesterday, after a good long break from it. Started with a compression test, which didn't fare well. No compression on any cylinders. Need to check the timing and do it again, since the timing was off the last time I re-did it. But it doesn't look good. Looking into this today.

I've also started taking the front plate off, and removed a whole bunch of stuff yesterday. Which revealed nothing good. But it could be worse.

You can clearly see that it has been bent badly.

Lower radiator support is bent, as is the AC condenser.

More damage.

You can clearly see that the bumper shocks have been pushed in. Amazingly though, the frame seems to not have been affected.

The teardown continues today, and I'm hoping to have the engine, trans, transfer box and front diff out in a couple of days.
    1992 BMW E34 525ix - Gletscherblau Metallic — Check it out here!
    1991 BMW E34 520i - Brokatrot Metallic SOLD — Check it out
    here!
    Instagram with E34 content:
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Incredible work. Great photos. I give you a lot of credit. Very cool car. Glacier Blue is quite rare. Never seen a 525ix in person. Since my mind has been on Springs due to my recent thread, it looks like the 525ix has broader/wider shock towers than normal E34s.
    Last edited by E28E34; 03-25-2018 at 01:22 PM.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Thank you! This was also the first ix I've ever seen too, they are indeed very rare cars.
    Yes, the shock towers are different, assumably to accommodate for the different strut design, and possibly shaped differently to take the stress of front wheel drive? The struts themselves are more like the E39-design, if you are familiar with it.

So, I got it mostly disassembled. Head is off, front diff and driveshafts, and the whole front end.
    I had planned to take the engine out with the transmission still on, but since that meant taking down the whole exhaust I decided not to. Now I'm struggling to get the block out from the car since the oil pan is butting against the front suspension and I can't get enough clearance to get the trans input shaft to let go of the clutch.. Gah. I'm going to attempt to remove the oil pan to get the clearance I need, hopefully that will let me get the block out. Then I have to remove the exhaust to get the trans out and transfer box out. It's getting re-sealed anyways.

Front off.

Head off.

Front wiring harness labeled.

Head on the table. All the exhaust valves are bent..

Front driveshafts out. These goes through the oil pan. Luckily they seem nice and tight, and I have receipts for two previous boot changes. Boots are also nice, no tears or cracks!

Cam trays, lifters, cams and a spare head that came with the engine. It's the engines original head, which also has bent exhaust valves from a previous timing chain guide failure..
    I might rebuild the original head and keep the spare and do some power-increasing mods and install it once in the future.

Big pile of parts..

And my new engine stand!

And here is a cool one. This old floor jack is getting re-sealed. I've bought a seal kit, but I need to get a huge socket to get the piston out of it before I can proceed. It's a very good jack, but it is no longer holding pressure..
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Back at it!

I found my shop floor again! Thanks to this shelf.

And then I FINALLY got the engine out..
    It was the biggest pain in the ass ever, but in the end I managed to get the oil pan out under the car, which allowed the engine to come loose from the trans.

Up on my brand new engine stand.

Getting ready to degrease the sides.

Clutch out, along with this maaaassive and heavy dual mass flywheel. I'll replace the FW with a OEM single mass that I have on hand and a new Sachs clutch kit.

The special 525ix oil pan. Note the hole through it for the front drive shafts, and where the front diff mounts to the pan.

And here I found remnants of one of the timing chain guides.. It was all in the oil pan, no pieces of it left on the engine block. If you look at the picture of the block you can also see that the plastic on the other guide is missing. I pulled some of it off, but much of it had disintegrated before I took the engine apart. I know that the one made from aluminium were replaced last summer when the engine had it's first timing chain guide failure. It might be that the one made completely from plastic wasn't replaced after that. That exact thing happened on my 520i. The left hand side guide was completely missing, no pieces in the oil pan. The ix doesn't look to have had it's oil pan removed last summer, so it might be that the PO didn't know that there were supposed to be two of them since the pieces was down in the pan.. I will look for evidence of this in the receipts that followed the car.

I've also spend the day bagging and labeling loose bolts, before I mess it all up. Will continue that work tomorrow, and probably start washing parts after that. And getting the block cleaned up and ready for some new paint once I get the rear seal and holder off, along with some small remaining items. Lots of work, but this will be so worth it!

Also considering getting a M54B30 and making it a stroker, since all of it is already out also considering underdrive pulleys (PS-pump and water pump), Stewart water pump, single mass flywheel and headers.
    here!
    @E34_ix

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Yikes, makes me worried about the ~437000km guides in my M50... that I don't want to deal with...

More photos of the subframe and engine bay, er du snill. I'm jealous of the steering rack and curious how different all the rest of an iX is. What's that hydraulic looking thing on the passenger side?

You pulled the oilpan with the engine still in the car? Was dropping the subframe too difficult? On most E34s it's just the steering linkage and 6 easy bolts holding it on.

Will an S54 fit that oilpan?
    Last edited by moroza; 06-10-2018 at 11:31 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Huh, so the ix got a steering rack? How interesting. I thought all E34's had a recirculating ball steering system...
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    @moroza: I would actually take the time and effort to change them. Two chain guides on the block, one on the head, one tensioner on the head (with a guide) and the spring in the timing chain tensioner. It takes some time and effort, but it is cheap insurance to avoid bent valves and a full engine rebuild.
    If one breaks the chain usually also skips some teeth and chips some of them in the process. And then you need to replace the timing chain and all the sprockets.. And those are NOT cheap..

I separated it from the engine and then I lifted the engine up which only just allowed me to wedge the pan out through the rear of the subframe.
    The hydraulic looking thing on the passenger side is the actuator for the hydraulic differential lock and the hydraulic controlled transfer box, I believe.

I believe that the S54 will fit the pan. But they are crazy expensive here in Norway.. So it is out of the question.

@dannyzabolotny: yeah, the ix had steering racks, a vast improvement from the recirculating ball system.

As you can see, the steering rack mounts to the front subframe, which is completely different from the regular E34.

here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    2x 93' E34T + 95' 750iL
    Looks like I need to find a 525ixT to import...

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    I am loving all the IX pictures. I think it is super interesting that BMW changed the actual shock towers for the IX. Now I am wondering if the floor pan is different to make room for the transfer case and front driveshaft. Good work on all the refurb/repairs.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    @Creesic: Yeah, ix is the way to go!

@Racerhoze: It's pretty radical that they actually changed so much of the design to offer a 4x4 option. I haven't done enough looking around under the car yet, but I'll take some pictures if anything is different Thanks!
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525TDS
    Nice project car...Hope you have dealt with the rust,I hate to see it too..

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    @General984: Thank you! So far the only rust I have discovered is along the license plate lights and that botched hole in the floor (on the previous page). This car has had it's rockers sprayed with some rust treatment, so it seems solid. Will inspect closer along the way as well.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Progress has been slow here, I've only been sorting some bolts, nuts and washers. Like always, I didn't do this during the teardown. Luckily I've done an M50 once before, so I know what most of them are ��

But, the slow progress is about to end, I ordered all the bottom end parts yesterday, so the sump, oil pump, block and oil filter housing is going together soon. I threw in alot of the smaller low cost parts for the rest of the rebuild as well, lots of screws, hood ground strap, a couple of bulbs for the interior lights and some small items for my 520i. I've decided to fix it up once the ix is out on the road to get the most out of it once I sell it.

So, the bottom end should be ready by the end of august. Then the next thing to do is to order parts for the top end and then the timing chains, sprockets, guides and tensioner-parts.
    After that I'll finish up with a lot of different stuff, 4x4 spesifics (seals etc), belts and rollers and so on. A lot to buy and get done, but it will be awesome once it is back on the road!
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Got some parts in the mail! And dug out some stuff I have laying around.

New stuff:

"Old" new stuff. Wiring is correct color coded wires for under hood light. As well as a lot of different parts.

Started to prepare some parts for the engine.
    Oil pump went first. Pretty dirty. Would this be normal for an engine that has been regularly maintained? Or does this indicate too long oil change intervals?

Cleaned up alright. All set with new nut for the chain sprocket, new o-ring for the spacer behind the circlip in the control valve as well as a new spring in there. The old spring was noticeably shorter than the new one. The inner and outer rotor in the pump looked perfect, no pitting or scoring.

Dipstick assembly cleaned and prepared with fresh o-rings, ready to go in once the engine is installed.

The stock airbox on these cars have a gasket strip around the trumpet where the air enters the box. My strip was totally gone. Ordered one, but was sent 10, lol. So I had a trial run, and got it perfect the second time. Very good glue on these, and they have to be stretched a little bit to go all the way around. Looks neat!

I also started cleaning the oil filter housing, but I didn't have time to finish. But I've cleaned about half of it. It was FULL of oil and dirt stuck together in a thick layer on the outside. The filter itself also had seen much better days.. Full of gunk and alot of RTV gasket (the red stuff). Remember my rant about RTV gasket when I did the coils and engine cover? Yeah.

Should I worry about bits of this inside the oil galleries of the head and block? Or will what ever that was loose of this in the engine (it comes from the head) have been caught in the filter?
    I wasn't planning on removing the crank and pistons, but if some of this has gotten in there I'm tempted to do so to clean it out.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Man, your thread is inspiring...

Stupid question: what's the number for the upper dipstick O-rings? Not shown on realoem, oddly enough

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Thanks! Very strange. I found the numbers on RealOEM, but only on my ix. If I choose my 520i with M50 I could not find them.

Here:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1147
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    Quote Originally Posted by henfjel View Post
    Thanks! Very strange. I found the numbers on RealOEM, but only on my ix. If I choose my 520i with M50 I could not find them.

Here:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1147
    Great, thanks!!!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    More parts has come in. Exhaust valves, head bolts, exhaust manifold to head gaskets, valve stem seals and head cover bolt gaskets.

I now have all the parts I need (I think) to complete the head and the block. The rest that I now need for the engine are the timing chains, sprockets and guides.
    Aaaand I also need a radiator, A/C condenser, various oil seals for transmission and 4x4-system and some other various parts here and there.

But in the meantime, I picked up THIS!!
    Thats right, period correct, OEM BMW roof bars with ski-mounts! These are the ones you could get from BMW in the 90s when the car was new. This has now been replaced by a more modern looking equivalent, but this is the correct looking one from the right period. It cost me 100$, but it is all complete, in very good condition and with a set of two keys that fit both the ski mounts and the bars themselves.

I had to try them on my 520i, and I think it looks SO good. Can't wait to see them on my iX in the snow once it is finished.

here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Got some work done last week. Not as much as I had hoped, but I've officially started getting the engine back together.

Began with removing the valves from the head spare head that came with the car, which is the original head of this engine. It was replaced with another head after it's first timing chain guide failure.
    Turns out that the head that was on the engine when I bought it is a NV head. According to the production-mark on the back it is from 1990. It also turns out that it is the inlet valves that are bent, not the exhaust ones. On both the heads. I don't really know where I ended up thinking it was the exhaust valves, but it probably was because those were the ones destroyed on my 520i back in the day.. So I'll be selling those and buying the correct ones.

Head on the bench for inspection. Note the gap between the inlet valves and the valve seats.. Bent.

Some buildup of gunk in this one, but it cleaned up well (not cleaned in this picture).

Outside cleaned, but I haven't gotten to the inlet manifold gasket surface yet.

Valves out and mounted in my super custom stand for valves and valve springs. Super high tech.

One side roughly cleaned and rust converter applied on a few spots after sanding down the worst of it.

Three coats of engine paint applied, looks very neat and tidy! I'm super happy with this.

Other side roughly cleaned, needs sanding and paint.

Next in line is obviously painting the other side of the block, and then replacing the rear oil seal. And then installing new valve stem seals and then valves, after finishing cleaning the head.
    After that, there is everything else...
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Still loving this thread! Thanks for taking us along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Thanks @KSEADUB!

Got the other side of the block painted. It's still wet here, but it dries to the same matte finish as the other side.

Also got some pictures of the old and new clutch assembly with my new DSLR! Getting a OEM single mass flywheel for this.

The ix-specific oil pan, with the drive shafts running through it. Note the lovely pieces of timing chain guides..

Front differential, mounts to the oil pan.

Pump for the hydraulic diff.

Rack and pinion.

This car was first registered in Germany, and then imported to Norway in the late nineties. When it was imported, someone retrofitted side blinkers. No pic of it right now, but someone hacked a hole for it and managed to mount it the wrong way... And it isn't connected with the OEM harness, but spliced in at the front.

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced to change the interior from ultramarine to black..
    Also, I fitted the OEM radio just for fun. Picked it up dirt cheap. Not the actual one from this car, but the same type that came with it. And I'm looking for a different steering wheel.

Surface rust under the battery. Need to take out the carpets to check for more rust, and get this before it gets ugly.

Alot to do, but I will hopefully buy mostly all remaining parts for the engine this week, a lot of good Black Friday-week deals now. Don't know if I have more time before new years to work on it, but the new year is pretty open for now! Fingers crossed, this will be out of the garage when the snow is gone.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Love the build!

An all black interior is really nice and I'm not a fan of the blue, but it works in a way since your car has a blue exterior too. I think a blue upper dash is also kind of rare since there aren't a lot of later era ultramarine interiors since the dash was always black up until a certain year.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    I actually kinda like the blue interior, especially the carpet; looks different than what you see nowadays. Maybe with black upper dash and upper door cards?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Thank you @CarterH!
    True, I do agree that the blue exterior makes it work much better than several other combinations I've seen.

@The Chauffeur, That is an interesting thought. Maybe I'll look into that! Thanks for the idea!
    I also know where I can get some ultramarine leather seats. Hmm..

In other news I just placed a monster order for parts! I'm talking right around $1000 worth of parts. Or actually worth much more, but thats with the discount. God bless black friday!
    I've ordered (mostly) all the remaining parts for the engine itself, oil seals for the transmission and transfer box, some nice bushings from Garagistic (bronze clutch pedal bearing, delrin brake pedal bushing and throttle pedal bushing, aluminium throttle and CC cable bushings and poly rear shifter mount bushing!), (used) single mass flywheel and many small oddball parts I'm gonna need "while I'm in there".
    Can't wait to get them in house and on the car!
    Last edited by henfjel; 11-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    here!
    @E34_ix

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast