Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1992 525ix - Gletscherblau Metallic

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    @E28E34, thats very humbling to hear! I'm very much looking forward to reading and watching your thread.

Fun stuff is happening!
    I went back over and replaced the special bolts that hold one of the timing chain guides. I originally reused the old ones, but I had second thoughts and decided to buy new ones. Also replaced the c-clip that holds the other guide in place with a brand new one. Taking off the front timing cover also gave me the opportunity to add some more gasket sealer in some strategic places (thanks BMW TIS!). Also did the same with the rear seal carrier, around the dowels (which also were replaced).
    Installed the oil pan with brand new gasket. It was SO nice to do this with the engine out. I replaced the one in my 520i with the engine in the car, and I couldn't get to all the bolts with the torque wrench.
    No pics of all that tho.

Spent some time washing a bunch of things, engine mount arms, water pump and fan clutch, AC-compressor bracket, belt tensioner brackets and pistons. Cleaning the oil and dirt off all the parts is most definitively the most time consuming part of this rebuild. I wish I had a parts washer..
    New belt rollers are in place (still waiting for the AC-belt roller), and the new water pump pulley. Alternator got new brushes/voltage regulator. Old ones was just about done. Wouldn't have lasted very much longer. Also, the oil filter housing is torqued down with new gasket and new dowels. Water pump is in with new o-ring.

I also started on removing the exhaust to get to the trans and transfer box. Got the rear bumper removed, and there is two more exhaust hangers + the last manifold to go.
    Hoping to have the block, trans and transfer box back in by the end of Wednesday, but I have a lot of cleaning to do in the engine bay before that happens. It's an oily mess in there..
    Getting back again on saturday, and then work on the head will commence.

Picture time!

Last edited by henfjel; 03-11-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    1992 BMW E34 525ix - Gletscherblau Metallic — Check it out here!
    1991 BMW E34 520i - Brokatrot Metallic SOLD — Check it out
    here!
    Instagram with E34 content:
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    One comment and one question from the far side of the world. I'm a new owner of a 170.000-mile '94 525i with the auto box. I got it for free from a pal... it needs a few things, mostly the front suspension is rattly on bumps, so control arms and thrust arms are in order.

Your thread is amazing. Love the exterior color, there used to be one running around here and I knew the owners slightly. They, and their car, have long disappeared. You obviously have/are getting intimate knowledge of this engine and everything that's hanging on it. Thanks for all the pics as you go, very instructive. And doing all this without a lift shows significant commitment.

But... given that E34s are not rare around here or anywhere (though as noted USA did not get ix versions), you must by now have spent a couple thousand dollars on a car that's worth... what? It would seem the parts and effort are worth more than the car will be, unless I seriously misjudge the market in Norway. I've cautioned many friends in the past to not get upside down on their cars. "Don't spend more than your car will be worth, unless you are certain sure that the additional money is spent entirely for your own enjoyment." Since you've gone much further than the likely break-even point, how do you rationalize your spending?
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    @Honolulu, congratulations on your new 525i! These are truly great cars. Thank you for your kind words, I'll keep the pictures coming

They are getting pretty rare her in Norway, but the primary reason for throwing so much money at the car is that it is worth it for my own enjoyment. I spent my entire childhood in an E34, and I learned to drive in the same car (which my dad still drives to this day), and I'm just so in love with this chassis and the way it drives and feels.
    The goal is to get this car in such a good condition that I can drive it every day and to maintain it so that it doesn't rust away or deteriorate like so many of them do. The labor and money is very worth it to have your dream car and get to enjoy it every day.
    But I do believe that if I get the car to that condition that I can sell it on for more then I've spent on it. The 525ix is rare, and the E34s in general are getting rarer and rarer here in Norway, and the prices rise accordingly. I bought it for 2300 US dollars (which is pretty cheap over here) and I've probably spent 1700 more on it since. I bet it could fetch 7000 US dollars in good condition, if not more.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ix
    If you have only put in 1700 I’m surprised.

Either way it will be worth it. If you do end up selling it there will be only a handful of these cars that are mechanically sound.

If you plan on keeping he car forever than it doesn’t matter how much you put into it.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    It's a qualified guestimate, but I think thats about what I've spent on parts so far. Probably need at least $600 to get it done.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Right now I'm planning on keeping it forever. But you never now what life throws at you!

I'm struggling to get the trans and transfer box out, can't get to all the bolts of the drive shaft where it meets the transfer box. Access is better at the diff-end, so I'm going to try to dismantle it from there and pull the entire trans-transfer-drive shaft out the engine bay. I got tired of laying on my back under the car, so I did some head-work instead. Got the old valve stem seals out and the new ones in, and I've put all the valves in place. Going to lap them in tomorrow and maybe install the valve springs. I do realize I should have lapped them in before I installed the new stem seals, but I got carried away. Just have to be careful with the lapping paste.

I have a coule of pics coming later!
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    New valves in place.

This is the old water pump pulley. The outer edge of the backside seems like it has been running against something, but I don't know what that might have been. It spun freely when I disassembled the engine and it does not collide with anything on the engine itself..
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    All valves are lapped in, and the valve springs on the exhaust side are back in. Intake springs goes in tomorrow!

here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Exhaust, trans and transfer box is out and on the bench!

Quite the workout without a lift, but I finally managed to wrestle the exhaust out, giving me access to the drive shaft. Which in turn was attached to the transfer box with allen head bolts on one side and regular hex nuts on the other. The allen heads made it a pain in the ass to get to, and the hex nuts would only take an open end wrench due to being very close to the output flange of the transfer box. But managed to get it all off without rounding a single nut or bolt! After that it was just a matter of easing it out through the engine bay with the help of a jack and the last few feet to the work bench on the engine lift.

Exhaust looks to be in good condition! It feels solid.

Dirty! Ready for new seal, throw out bearing and clutch.

Looks a bit reckless, but it is well balanced on there, no chance of it falling.

Picture of the day; SUCCESS!! Ready for a good cleaning and new seals.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325ix
    Looks good! I hated doing the clutch on my 525 was a pain in the butt getting the starter bolts out.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Thanks! If only the starter bolts had been the hardest part of this build..
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    I've done something fun (or terrifying..) today. We have a Norwegian E34 Facebook group, and I searched up the previous owners name on there..
    Not exactly fun reading, but very insightful and good entertainment.

Figured out the water pump pulley-damage. Apparently the water pump blew (literally) causing the fan belt to jump off. I'm guessing the bearing gave out and the pulley touched on the pump itself (since I can see no damage on the timing chain cover where the pump sits).

The car has yellow Konis in the rear (I knew they were yellow, but not that they were Konis), and possibly Koni Cut-A-Strut in the front. I'll look into that. He made several posts looking to buy used front struts, so they might possibly be used originals as well.

Front bumper might have been replaced.

Steering rack might have been replaced.

At one point he was afraid of a fire since he smelled fuel. Turned out to be the very hose I replaced on page 1..

He lost and replaced the fuel filler cap (not the door).

Front drive shaft dust covers have been replaced (yay!)

He had a problem with all the dash lights blinking when indicating (but I don't know how that was fixed).. But I'm not surprised, the way the side indicators was wired in.

Rear wheel bearings might have been changed.

Steering end links have been replaced with non-OEM replacements. Which apparently caused some problems. He says that he couldn't turn the steering wheel as far each way as he used to, and that he suspected that they might was hitting the rims. I can indeed confirm that they were hitting the rims, the front ones have damage.. Not sure how he solved that one, but I had no problems with those wheels the one time I drove it.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    2004 R32, 2011 A4 Avant
    Good stuff finding all that history. Its always fun to see where our cars used to be, and how their most likely in better hands now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    I've been following up on this thread and decided to undertake the same challenge as well and rebuild my motor. Done quite a lot thanks to a proper write-up here.
    Well, Better to Burn out, Than it is to Rust.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    @KSEADUB: Yeah!

@dennoz: Very nice! How is the rebuild going? Great to be able to help with inspiration.

Finally managed to dig up an old laptop! Formatted it, fresh Windows XP-install (OH the nostalgia!!) and got the BMW TIS installed! Works a treat. Very nice to have the complete repair instructions for the whole car and all tightening torques for absolutely everything. I got this laptop when i started high school, and it's survived a whole lot, and it's nice to be able to re-purpose it for car use.
    Doing the EBA and the ETK next, once I have the time.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    @henfjel: I'm currently buying everything prior to anything else. I've had the block and head thoroughly cleansed and I'm awaiting parts from UK.

Regarding the TIS, how can I get E34 manuals yet from the site, the E34 chassis isn't listed?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Nice!
    This is not from a site, but from a BMW software you can install on Windows XP or older, as far as I know. A CD can be bought very cheaply from eBay.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    So, I was going to this guy to look at some original ix wheels. When I get there (he gets there just before me) it turns out the ix wheels are not in his storage. But he did have a set of staggered throwing stars. So I got those instead, lol. Got them pretty cheap compared to what they usually goes for here in Norway, but they are a little rough. Seems like they might have been painted. And there is some curb rash on the front ones. And all tires are studless winter tires and are from 2005, so it needs new tires.
    I do realize that they don't fit the ix, but hey, I still drive the 520i. And no matter what I'm going to freshen this set up and then see if I'll sell it later.

here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1995 E34 525i (M52B28 Sw
    Quote Originally Posted by henfjel View Post
    So, I was going to this guy to look at some original ix wheels. When I get there (he gets there just before me) it turns out the ix wheels are not in his storage. But he did have a set of staggered throwing stars. So I got those instead, lol. Got them pretty cheap compared to what they usually goes for here in Norway, but they are a little rough. Seems like they might have been painted. And there is some curb rash on the front ones. And all tires are studless winter tires and are from 2005, so it needs new tires.
    I do realize that they don't fit the ix, but hey, I still drive the 520i. And no matter what I'm going to freshen this set up and then see if I'll sell it later.

Damn, that's a great find. Rims are worth all the effort

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    I suck at posting updates, but the following has happened:

- Transmission and transfer box has new oil and new seals, and the 545i short shifter is installed. I do NOT know if it will clear the transfer case housing once installed, but we will see. If it doesn't the original one goes back in.. But I've compared the two, and if there is space it will give me some short shift goodness
    - Engine bottom end is done
    - Coupling the trans and block together will happen 3 weeks
    - Head is ready to go in after that
    - I've ordered more new good stuff that will go in the car.

I haven't been taking pictures, but I will shoot some once I get back!
    In the mean time I have been trying a few post in Instagram and I will continue to post there as well. Follow me @e34_ix !
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    The last few months hasn't been very productive on the picture taking side of things, but it has otherwise been very good to me!

The 545i short shifter turned out not to fit. the bottom of it was hitting the transfer box when shifting, so it had to go.. But I like the action of this cars stock shifter!
    I got the transfer box/trans and engine coupled together in June. I also got them installed in the engine bay! Then followed many hours of valve lapping, I wasn't happy with the work I had previously done.
    Ordered a new starter solenoid. I broke a tab of the old one when I was dismantling the engine.. the starter was replaced with a brand new BMW unit a few years ago, so I cashed out on a Bosch solenoid.
    Also got a few other goodies; upgraded lower chain tensioner, cruise control actuator bracket (the ix has a special one with a mounting tab for a little fuse box (see the pictures below). I have also ordered new wiring ends to fix my front wiring harness. Many of the plugs are broken and several wires have damage to the insulation, so I will need to remedy this.
    Once the valves were lapped in I cleaned up the rest of the head, replaced the alu-gaskets on all the sensors and drain plugs etc. Also installed new exhaust manifold studs. Installed the valve springs, and then got the head installed onto the block. I don't have any good pictures of this, sadly..
    I dismantled all the hydraulic lifters to clean them out. They were full of gunk, very happy I did so. Cleaned up the camshafts and carriers and got the lot installed. Once that was done I installed fresh timing chain cogwheels and upper chain. And got the recently refurbished VANOS unit installed. Valve cover then got a good clean and the cover was installed with a brand new Febi gasket. I followed the Bentley/TIS meticulously, so some gasket sealer was used where the VANOS unit meets the head and in the edges of the half moons at the rear of the head.
    The timing was checked by rotating the engine several times, all seems to be good. New spark plugs installed, followed by coils (with brand new spark plug boots). Also installed a new OEM engine ground strap. I covered the whole strap in shrink wrap with adhesive, I figured that one more layer of insulation wouldn't exactly hurt, and it will help seal it from moisture and corrosion. The old one had split open and was all green inside.
    New gaskets on the intake was next, and all electrical connections was hooked up. Brand new crank sensor installed, and the old (working) cam sensor. Also replaced the small two inch long fuel hose on the back of the fuel rail, the old one was hard as a rock. Once the fuel rail was installed I got the intake mounted. Exhaust manifold was hooked up, but I'm taking it out again to replace it with a ported set of M52 manifolds (to better match the M50 gaskets, the M52 opening is a little smaller than the stock M50). Tubular manifolds, and they are currently away being welded for more strength (they are known to crack where the tubes meet the flange.
    After this all was in order to test start the car. New oil was poured, and everything was double checked to make sure everything was ready. Removed the fuel pump relay, cranked the engine to get some oil pressure. After the light went away I installed the relay. Cranked the engine, and sure enough; it fired perfectly! Success!!
    This is the most satisfied I've ever been working on my cars. Didn't run more than a few seconds, since the cooling system isn't completed (I'm still waiting for a new radiator, alu termostat housing etc), but it idles great and sounds very healthy. I'm so happy.

Whats next now?
    - In my excitement to get the engine started I missed the reversing light and transfer box connector, so I might have to lower the exhaust in order to get access (it is very tight back there in the ix). Also need to reinstall the slave cylinder, mount the center exhaust heat shield
    - Installing the front driveshafts and struts (the car will then be driveable).
    - Add oil in the front diff.
    - Getting the new front plate sanded and painted, and then installed.
    - Removing the old lower radiator support removed and the new one welded in place.
    - Fixing the front wiring harness.
    - Installing the remaining cooling system components and bleeding the system.
    - Installing all the front parts.
    - Removing the interior carpet, inspecting for rust (and treating if there is any), then installing new anthracite carpet.
    - Relocating the sunroof drain tubes.
    - Buttoning up everything and then the biennial inspection.

It will be another month I think, but the car will be ready for october!

Follow me on Instagram for stories and more pictures, @e34_ix

Enjoy the few pictures I have, I'll up my photo game in the following weeks!

Last edited by henfjel; 09-01-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Awesome work! Love the instagram too. Following!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    Last edited by henfjel; 09-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    I also had my lower timing chain tensioner replaced with the updated one for the S52/M52 - costly part. The upper timing chain guide and upper tensioner also replaced as the Vanos Seal was leaking and all of these items had to come out anyways. The engine is quieter and less buzzy from 800-1,200 rpm. More turbine like sounding. I read that past 80K mi. the orig. lower tensioners on the M50s really should be changed as the chain will become looser. I was overdue at 181K mi. Had the orig. front springs re-installed and took out the too-high 998s (new correct part #) springs from last year - which never settled - was sitting 1/2" above spec. ride-height. Now with the old ones back in the ride height is 2mm/ a little over 1/16" higher than spec ride height. I conclude the BMW upper mounts are made higher than they should be, (according to Bav. Auto) and heard aftermarket German ones are the way to go in the future, as they sit closer to how the originals were made. Leaving it as is.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525ix Sedan
    I took a loooooong hibernation from the forums, not for any particular reason, just happened. And Covid and life and everything in between.

@E28E34, yeah, that tensioner is quite costly. But it's very nice to know that it is replaced and upgraded! Gives me peace of mind.
    Interesting about the upper mounts. Will take that into account when I do my suspension at one point.

A lot has happened!
    I found some pictures to accompany the story.

Here is from the mating of the transmission and transfer case assembly and the engine block. This was quite tricky but I managed to get it together without breaking anything. Success!

Head on, camshafts and trays installed and lower timing chain.

This is taken after the timing gears was installed, the timing cover is just resting on top, it's not installed yet.

Engine completely assembled, sans the coil cover. New aluminium thermostat housing. Re-used the fan clutch, but it needs replacing. Had a few rising temp incidents in heavy traffic during the hottest parts of summer. No overheating incidents tho.

After this I had some more fun times.. After the start, I went on to the next few things on the list to get done; assembling the front suspension, mounting the slave cylinder e.t.c.
    My biggest setback came while re-installing the clutch pedal. I had taken it out to install Garagistic delrin bushings in them. It all went back together, and I pressed the pedal. Heard a *clunk*. And the sound of fluids dripping. Apparently I hadn't aligned the push rod of the slave cylinder properly in the clutch housing, so the piston had been ejected from the cylinder and all the fluid came out through the clutch housing.
    I was pretty down at this point so I finished the rest of the car and had it towed to a shop for them to take the transmission out, clean the new clutch and the bellhousing and install and bleed a new slave. It wasn't exactly cheap but it was worth it in the end.

Other things that got done included new front left top mount, new brake pads in the front (will replace all brakes later), repairing the front wiring harness, and installing all other parts that had been off or was to be replaced.

Also got myself some OEM ix wheels. Fitted with brand new Continental VikingContact 7's (not in the picture).

Here is the first start. You can imagine the relief I felt when everything worked. So far the car has been trouble free, engine wise. Except a slight hesitation once the engine is up to temp. Seems to happen during colder weather, I suspect it has something to do with either the ECU coolant temp sensor or the O2-sensor. Both of which was not replaced during the rebuild. And the engine has been run prior to the rebuild with very off timing, puffing black smoke and not burning fuel properly. It's probably clogged up and in need of a replacement. It's on the list of things to do.

I am yet to install the M52 tubular manifolds, pr. the last post I made here. I never heard back from the shop that was to weld them, I suspect they have forgotten.. And I haven't prioritized to get them back yet. Next summer!
    I also didn't get around to relocating the sunroof drains or removing the rust in the floor.

I did however get around to getting a new windshield installed, and the rust around the window opening removed and painted.
    I used a very high regarded independent BMW shop which removed the old windshield, removed rust and re-painted and blending around the opening and installing a brand new OEM BMW windshield and OEM trim. It looks VERY nice. And I'm super happy. The old windshield was cracked, so my insurance company paid for the windshield itself, the replacement work and the new trim. I paid for the painting and rust removal. It was expensive, but so worth it.
    The rust build up around the opening had cracked the window and I had water ingress for quite some time. That problem is now fixed, but I still suffer from no working interior lights and the odd flickering in the dash lights when I use blinkers, turn on the lights, flash the lights e.t.c. Need to check out the modules under the rear seat and the wiring harness along the floor.

Did poly subframe bushings (PowerFlex). The old ones were due.

Did my first oil and filter change post engine rebuild (not that long after). Bosch filter and Castrol oil.

Did some wiring.

Replaced a very overdue fuel line..

So, what remains? A lot..
    But the priority is:
    - Rust removal
    - Sunroof drain relocation
    - Rear wheel bearings
    - Engine hesitations
    - Electrical issues
    - Suspension and brakes rebuild

And a lot of other things. All in good time.
    Sending you off with some nice shots. The bronzit car is my fathers 525i M20, which I grew up with and learned to drive in.

Last edited by henfjel; 12-12-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    here!
    @E34_ix

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Wow, it has been a while... last Sept, when things were better all around. You've been quite busy. Thanks for the update. Never seen a Bosch oil Filter. Scary fuel line. Still have the orig. rear shocks and subframes in mine at 187K mi. Great pics and history. Nice ix wheels - similar to my Style-2 wheels. Never seen one 525ix in the US.

Nice upgrade to the aluminum thermo. housing - I think they started using them in 1993.

There's a small plastic 3-hose holder that clamps in just above and to the left of the oil-filter - keeps the hoses out of the way during a filter change. Mine had snapped. Cheap part that had to come from Germany 2 yrs. ago.

Your windshield and trim look great. I recently made a post about Windshields. In some photos the darker green tint is at the top, in others it's not. Did the new windshield come with it?

Aside from the BMW logo on yours, is Pilkington or Splintex also on it?

I was considering using Safelite for the install, but after research I don't plan to. I don't know if the dealer would be willing to sand and paint, if rust is present. One of the body-shops says I may not have to place the 2 surrounding trims... but I think after 27 yrs, it makes sense.

Was your windshield replaced prior? Wondering where and how it rusted?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast