Thread: BW intake boot install woes

My Cars
    98 M3/2/5

BW intake boot install woes

Bought a bimmerworld intake boot and I ended up keeping the stock boot. Some things didn't fit right and if I'm being stupid please tell me because I know these fit - apparently - on other e46 M3s. I'm not trying to diss BW at all, they're a great company and I've bought many things through them with no problems at all. Some problems I'm having with the boot install are as follows:

- the end of the boot closest to the maf doesn't fit the air box as well if the end of the tube isn't pushed up all the way into the maf port. If you leave the tube inserted at the groove of the air box (further from the maf port and where the stock boot meets the airbox) there seems to be an unnecessary bend in the intake tubing itself when it curves to the meet the manifold.
    - with the boot connected, I have to force the top of the airbox to the left (towards the passenger side) for the two bolts closer to the driver's side fender to align with the mounting holes... I really have to force it.

It fits, yes, but it's so forced that it feels wrong. Everything is forced to meet the other end. I've tried loosening different ends, not tightening everything down until the end -- the list goes on and on. This should be an easy job, and it's throwing me a heavy curveball. The stock boot fits like a glove, and I just don't think a larger tube is worth the butt gains if it causes these many uncertainties.

Any advice/experience is seriously appreciated -- I'm trying to get my money back but honestly I'd like it to work out -- I really like the look of it and should yield some small amount of throttle response.

Thanks,
    Hank
    Last edited by hkovalcik; 09-07-2017 at 10:16 PM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    That is one reason I haven't changed the stock boot yet. I hear AFE has a nice fitting silicone intake boot, perhaps you should give that one a try?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 M3, (2) 528 s
    I have a macht schnell boot and it fits fine
    1998 estroil blue m3 sedan m50 intake manifold, turner adjustable control arms kw2 coilovers, turner fcab andeismen ann race exhaust and various other mods (sold)
    1995 BMW M3 Avus Blau with Dove Interior. Active autowerke 8psi supercharger Eibach prokit, Hartge 19" Classics, 8000k HID's for the Low Beams and for the Fogs as well, JTD Underpanel Block is bored .25 over with Ross Racing pistons, Turner Motorsport Chip 24# injectors, Euro HFM, Dinan Throttle Body, Fan Delete Mod, Cold Air intake, UUC Oil Filter Lid, UUC Motor Mounts, Race Tranny mounts and Rear Subframe Bushings,UUC Short Shifter, Powerflex, RTAB bushings and FCAB. Cyberdyne Digital gauges for Water Temp, Oil Temp and Pressure and Borla Exhaust. Ac Schnitzer Pedals, Shift Knob and E-brake handle