Thread: Too much rear camber? The cause of my oversteer?

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5

Too much rear camber? The cause of my oversteer?

Car is a 96 E36M3.

TRM coilovers, E36 non-M sport front swaybar connected to the control arms, no rear swaybar.

Hankook RS3 tires at 36psi hot.

Camber is -3.4F, -2.6R
    Toe is 0"F, and 0.13"R

Road Atlanta this past weekend had the following issues.

• Low speed power oversteer out of T7.
    • Mid-corner to corner exit oversteer in high speed corners like T1, T6, T12.

Front end of the car felt great, lots of grip.

I know some of it is just general throttle application, but especially in T1, I felt like the rear of the car was on edge the whole weekend.

Too much rear camber, not enough toe?
    Last edited by mindspin311; 09-08-2017 at 07:35 AM.

My Cars
    E36 325i
    Negative toe is toe out. Might explain what's happening in the back

Everything else seems good from what i can see

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ABHGE View Post
    Negative toe is toe out. Might explain what's happening in the back

Everything else seems good from what i can see
    Oops, thats not correct then. Definitely have toe in. My mistake.

My Cars
    02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
    Car is a 96 E36M3.

TRM coilovers, E36 non-M sport front swaybar connected to the control arms, no rear swaybar.

Hankook RS3 tires at 36psi hot.

Camber is -3.4F, -2.6R
    Toe is 0"F, and 0.13"R

Road Atlanta this past weekend had the following issues.

• Low speed power oversteer out of T7.
    • Mid-corner to corner exit oversteer in high speed corners like T1, T6, T12.

Front end of the car felt great, lots of grip.

I know some of it is just general throttle application, but especially in T1, I felt like the rear of the car was on edge the whole weekend.

Too much rear camber, not enough toe?
    T7 is a common oversteer turn, nearly every single car come out of that turn oversteers. Coming out of T6, which is a high speed, banked turn, you're carrying quite a bit of exit speed into T7.

The rest of the turns are fairly high speed, so having oversteer in those locations is quite scary, especially T12 which is probably the fastest "turn" of the whole track. I'd look into changing your ride high as your camber seems to be fine (I run -3.5, -2.0) on my car. I'd consider dialing back some camber, but you'll have to look at your tire temps.

One of the easiest ways to shift grip is to adjust your ride high. Raise your from to give yourself faster weight transfer to the rear upon acceleration. This will induce some understeer which is what you ideally want, but it's all preference.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Maybe up your front bar motion ratio or stiffness? If the wear is even in the rear, I don't think camber is an issue since that's pretty standard for a track car.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    Really need more info on the car, ie what springrates are on those TRM coilovers.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by =BA= View Post
    Really need more info on the car, ie what springrates are on those TRM coilovers.
    780lb Front, 895lb Rear

My Cars
    That setup with no rear bar is actually quite front biassed (ie it should understeer) and I see no real issue with how much camber you run.

Out of the box thinking but have you tried reinstalling the rear bar? Some setups feel a bit funny without a rear bar and your spring differential is not very big. Ie you might perceive the additional rear roll as the rear giving away.

Alternatively, these TRM socks are adjustable as far as I know, turn up the fronts or turn down the rears.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    If those are in the stock position, I agree, very front biased.

You might have so much rear roll that the rear grip actually goes down since that axle has much less roll stiffness. I would put a rear bar on and see how it feels. I'm honestly not a fan of the "no rear bar" typical setups, as I think they generally lack roll stiffness in the rear and that causes some odd handling or just terminal understeer.

My Cars
    90 325
    My car is rather the opposite. It pushes like no tomorrow, was very frustrating last time out. Running the same TRM coilovers, though my springs are the original rates of 670/895. I can't recall but I think I had less camber in the front, which I need to fix. Good news is it will put down power with no issues in almost any situation, bad news is if it gets loose and you overcorrect there is no getting it back it just snaps.
    Back into a BMW, this time a track rat....and it won't be BMW powered and no, not a V8 either!
    Couldn't help myself, boosted e36 m52 street car in progress also!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by exvitermini2 View Post
    My car is rather the opposite. It pushes like no tomorrow, was very frustrating last time out. Running the same TRM coilovers, though my springs are the original rates of 670/895. I can't recall but I think I had less camber in the front, which I need to fix. Good news is it will put down power with no issues in almost any situation, bad news is if it gets loose and you overcorrect there is no getting it back it just snaps.
    Your car seems to have more rear bias so it shouldn't really be a problem (but it is more than what I would run if you still had a rear ARB), but lack of camber can hurt you. Same here, correct your camber and have a play with the shock settings. I have played with the shocks on my car for ages (different from TRM but same adjustment principle) and it makes a lot of difference.

Ie when I was running rain setup it behaved just like your's, oversteer and no way of ever getting it back. Turn up the front shocks a few clicks and the balance came back.

For your needs you most likely need to turn up the rears or back off the fronts a bit.

Most of the shocks that have the adjustment principle where you adjust compression and rebound with one knob, only adjust the low speed area of the damping curve, ie the transitions and you can influence the balance of the car a lot with these. Also noteworthy is that they don't always adjust in the same rate, ie on mine I believe compression is only 50% from rebound adjustment so your primairy adjustment mechanism is still rebound.

Also you could try to raise the rear rideheight, but I'm not sure of that is the way to go if it's so difficult to catch.
    Last edited by =BA=; 09-08-2017 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    90 325
    Much appreciate the input. I have no rear sway. The car felt pretty bouncy/stiff, so I did back the shocks way off in hopes of helping that some early on in the weekend. It had been a few years since I'd been on track and fresh car, so I didn't really go back to playing with things as much as trying to get reacquainted. I will play with that stuff some this next trip out.

One scenario i was sitting here pondering, entry to the snake at VIR. Every car I've been able to lift throttle it a bit to get the car pointed into the turn better, this car I lifted and it straight pushed. Had to pick up the throttle some to make it quit, quite the odd feeling.
    Back into a BMW, this time a track rat....and it won't be BMW powered and no, not a V8 either!
    Couldn't help myself, boosted e36 m52 street car in progress also!

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    If the car feels "floppy" over to steady state, usually feeling like it's one extreme, then over the other like understeer then oversteer - try turning the shocks UP in damping. It can indicate you're under damped, and turning the damping up will tend to control the sprung mass better.

My S2000 is definitely like this, where it's way more under to oversteer through a corner as I correct than with the shocks turned up.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    toe in more rear? thought 0.20 total toe in rear is minimum even for a track car...

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Kind of an OT question but has anyone noted how much the rear toe changes per degree of rear camber change?

I have Turner adjustable camber arms. I usually have rear camber set at 1.0° for the street. I'd like to increase the camber to 2.0° for autox but don't want to mess with the toe.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 09-12-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    how much rake do you have? Ride Heights?

If you have too much, would explain some of these symptoms.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    how much rake do you have? Ride Heights?

If you have too much, would explain some of these symptoms.
    Are you talking to me? or the other guy?

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    I think you. Corner exit oversteer could be a rake issue. Could also be your rear shocks bottoming out...
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    I think you. Corner exit oversteer could be a rake issue. Could also be your rear shocks bottoming out...
    Ride height/rake is something I need to look in to. I know it needs improvement.