Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Updated Tire Recommendations (Sept 2017)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead97 View Post
    Thought he was looking for a budget tire?

'Looking for a good value" He also linked five pages @ Tire Rack

My Cars
    the shinny one
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    You missed it - dovlet started one just the other day. It got nice and chippy in there too!
    sorry I missed it, been busy most of the summer

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s in 235-45-17's, all around.
    Awesome tires IMO. Especially for the way I drive...
    I do plan on getting some summer tires for my summer 18" wheels.
    I have been looking at the Michelin PS4S', the new Conti Extreme Contact Sports, Bridgestone S04's, and the Firestone Indy-500's.
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 09-09-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Did nobody catch that this dude has a 2002 530i with only 36k miles. I need pictures!!!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i/6, others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    I've also had really good experiences with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 tires - they're lasted forever, handle really well, and are fairly quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixEsq View Post
    +1 These have been great tires. I have 20,000 miles on mine, and they look almost new.
    Unless the V12 Evo 2's are significantly different than the V12 Evo's, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, it's the one tire I've ever run that I really could not stand almost from day 1. I could turn the wheel and have to wait a full half second for the car to respond. When it DID respond, yes grip was good and the tire was quiet, but completely ruined the connected feel of the car for me. Swap on some Hankook RS3's or even my snow tires (Blizzak) and the problem went away. Ultimately, the V12's wore out on the inside, the pie section of rubber between the tread material and the sidewall separating completely showing the sides of the chords under the tread, I'm just happy I didn't have a blowout! Outside and middle of the tire looked just fine.

Only thing I can figure is I had way too much camber for them, but I'm not running aggressive camber and have had flat wear across the tire on everything else I've run. The hankook V12 Evos were on 18" wheels that I ran several sets of Eagle F1's on when you could still get them. Also have a set of 17" wheels with the Hankook RS3s and a 17" set of wheels with snow tires so I swap the wheels/tires around frequently for conditions. Of all of them, only the V12 evo's gave trouble. Just my 2c, really liked Hankook based on the RS3, but couldn't have been more disappointed with the V12.

Edit: In fairness, I should point out that I know a lot of people who are completely happy with the V12s, which is how I ended up with them myself. I just now think they are all crazy!
    Last edited by qcdstick; 09-11-2017 at 09:46 AM.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    In light of all the alternatives being offered here, I am changing my vote to anything that is black, round and will hold air. So I now recommending (with no cares for the world) any old used tire off a rack on the really industrial side of town that will fit on the rim. No need to match them by axle or all four. This way every turn in the wet wet, dry, avoidance panic mode or gentle cruising will be an everyday adventure in unknown handling and braking dynamics.
    Who is in with me? All others be aware and afraid .....
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    In light of all the alternatives being offered here, I am changing my vote to anything that is black, round and will hold air. So I now recommending (with no cares for the world) any old used tire off a rack on the really industrial side of town that will fit on the rim. No need to match them by axle or all four. This way every turn in the wet wet, dry, avoidance panic mode or gentle cruising will be an everyday adventure in unknown handling and braking dynamics.
    Who is in with me? All others be aware and afraid .....
    LOL. points awarded.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

Is that ^ fine by you, Stephen?
    Last edited by auaq; 09-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    At this point I will take anyone's points.

Meanwhile i am out looking at used tires for my M5. So far the best deals are G60R17 Mud and snows from 2003. $19 each. A little hard but at that price point who care about lifespan.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Thanks everyone for the responses. It is really helpful to get the perspectives (as varying as they may be) from fellow BMW owners.

So far the BFG Comp2 A/S looks to be a winner in regards to value and quality. I had a service guy tell me to avoid W rated tires though because he feels they wear too quickly. Any thoughts on that?

Another tire I was considering was the Cooper ZEON RS3-G1. These are also W rated and Cooper has a $100 rebate on them right now which means I can get a set of 4 for around $300. Thoughts?

I was also interested in getting oil advice. I'll have to check out that dovlet thread.

crazy4trains, I'll start a separate thread some day and post some pics. I actually got the car with 28K miles on it.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well. That sounds like you DO want a cheap budget tire then. Throw out all the stuff about value over price, sounds like you want "good but most importantly CHEAP" Not "value for money but most importantly GOOD" which us what the OP says. The Cooper's will be budget tires. Maybe they are good anyway, dunno. Guaranteed they won't compare to the Michelins or some of the other options.

Always funny when you get a thread like this where it's a comparative assload 6-7 votes for the AS3, a middle number of votes for Contis and Hankooks and other things, then only 1-2 mentions for the BFG, but OP decides BFG it is...

The guy giving the "W" tire advice is a complete and utter incompetent moron.

Speed ratings (letters) are about carcass construction not treadwear / compound hardness. There can be some correlation but as the saying goes, "correlation is not causation" - aka higher speed ratings tend to be for high performance sport tires which also tend to have softer compounds, but in no way is that linked or required. Check treadwear number for treadwear (derp).
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    You might find it interesting the next time you change tire brands/models to check the size and positions of weights on each wheel before and after.

Given the same wheel, technician, and balancer, the need for weights can reveal the quality of a tire's construction. A well-constructed tire should be very well balanced with little to no weight needed to balance it.

Case in point, many years ago, I had a Volvo 855R that came with Pirelli P-Zeros and the 17" factory Volan wheels had weights all over them. What annoyed me most were the ones on the outside of the wheel making it look U-G-L-Y. When the time came to replace them, I got Michelin Pilot Sports and I was amazed not to see any weights on the outside of the wheels. They told me 3 balanced without any weights and 1 needed a couple grams on the inside of the wheel. The same is true now. Only 2 of my 5 Michelin Premiers on 16" Style 29s needed weights to balance. 1 weight was 1 gram and the other was .5 grams and both were on the inside of the wheel so still no weights on the outside.
    Last edited by JaxPlanet; 09-17-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I've also seen wheels balanced without removing the prior weights and then are just covered in weights (first tipoff of a crap technician is when you have weights 180° opposed to each other). ... DOH. Step 1 - always remove all the old weights.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Well. That sounds like you DO want a cheap budget tire then. Throw out all the stuff about value over price, sounds like you want "good but most importantly CHEAP" Not "value for money but most importantly GOOD" which us what the OP says. The Cooper's will be budget tires. Maybe they are good anyway, dunno. Guaranteed they won't compare to the Michelins or some of the other options.

Always funny when you get a thread like this where it's a comparative assload 6-7 votes for the AS3, a middle number of votes for Contis and Hankooks and other things, then only 1-2 mentions for the BFG, but OP decides BFG it is...

The guy giving the "W" tire advice is a complete and utter incompetent moron.

Speed ratings (letters) are about carcass construction not treadwear / compound hardness. There can be some correlation but as the saying goes, "correlation is not causation" - aka higher speed ratings tend to be for high performance sport tires which also tend to have softer compounds, but in no way is that linked or required. Check treadwear number for treadwear (derp).
    I guess it depends on how you calculate comparative value.

First, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s are not available for the size I need (225/55R16). That leaves the Michelin Premiers which look to be around $200-250+ more than the BFGs. They tend to both have pretty good reviews in the categories that I said I'm basing my decision on. With that said, are the Michelin tires worth that much extra? I know they're rated to last longer (60K miles vs 45K miles) but since I'm not putting a ton of mileage on these per year, should that affect my decision? Wont' both tires rot before I wear them out?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well the size thing is legit, if you really want to stick with same size. And you may have reasons.

And re Premiers - IMO mostly you can't (or shouldn't at least) judge tire overall brands, you need to judge models, or at best, 'lines'. Some of that evidence is in this thread, with people talking about Michelins that sucked for them - oh but wait they aren't the same as the Pilots that everybody else is talking about.

I don't know anything about the Premier but I'd say you need to go with model-line-specific-recommendations (i.e. "Pilot A/S"), not just brand-recommendations, unless you know a model is the virtual same as another. In other words I have no idea if the performance of the Pilot A/S cross over to the Premier (I would really doubt it as the Pilots are the line that are traditionally excellent but who knows, sometimes "slightly cheaper model Y" is "the exact prior generation of more expensive model X" and is a real bargain because of that).

The Pilot A/S's are that good , if performance is important. They are truly excellent in dry and surprisingly good in wet and even some snow. The argument for the extra dough for the Michies wouldnt be treadwear as much as it would be quality of experience during life of the tire.

But again, your comments now seem to be "I just want a reasonable decent tire at the best cost", so, I'm sure the BFG's are fine - I had the predecessor to those come on a car I bought some years ago and they were OK, I would'nt exactly recommend against them... neither did they inspire me to buy them in the future. And hey - I haven't tried these latest ones so maybe they are the total business and an amazing bargain, I was just amused by how the 'votes vs action' often turns out on threads like these.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    So after a bunch of consideration I was going to purchase the Michelin Premier A/S but then I went onto Michelin's own site and saw a bunch of reviews complaining about how loud the tires are. My current tires are loud and the last thing I want is another loud tire.

So now I'm back at square one.

Any thoughts anyone?

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    The Michelin Premier A/S will give you what you looking for, smooth comfort, good handling, long life and reduced noise. The road surface poster on Tire Rack complained about noise on cement. What he did not tell you was more than likely the cement in IL is grooved cut where everything makes noise. I have these tires on one of my vehicles and they are great dry, wet, etc. Just don't expect snow tire performance from an all season tire when winter dumps more than 3" on the road.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    2001 530i
    I have these and they are awesome: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Seasons. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ll+Season+Plus

I've got 2 summers on them. Quiet ride...wear well...sporty feel...no soft sidewalls movement like the Conti DWS. I like Michelins...but have always found that they get loud AF at 1/2 wear. These are great and I highly recommend them.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Old tires are always going to be far louder than a new set, but yes, Michelins get very, very noisy as they wear. I have personal experience with A/S 3s and PSSs.

I also liked the Conti DWS06, but yes, the sidewalls are too soft.
    Last edited by computiNATEor; 10-18-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I have the Michelin Premier A/S on my wife's van.
    They wear like iron / last long.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGpa View Post
    I have these and they are awesome: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Seasons. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ll+Season+Plus

I've got 2 summers on them. Quiet ride...wear well...sporty feel...no soft sidewalls movement like the Conti DWS. I like Michelins...but have always found that they get loud AF at 1/2 wear. These are great and I highly recommend them.
    I have the P7 All Season Plus tires as well. I think these are the best tires out there for a quiet smooth ride with a decent amount of grip. A truly great grand touring tire. It's way more longer lasting than the other common Michelin and Conti counterparts mentioned here (70, 000 miles vs as low as 20k being mentioned). I've driven on mine for over 30k and they still have 7/32 depth as of two weeks ago. But it's not a sport tire so apples to oranges.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Uggh. This thread sucks. Will it never end? OK - so back to the beginning... remember the lecture about people have different priorities?

Internet Reviews 101:
    1a. some people are just whiny dickheads, immediately throw out negative reviews that are clearly whiny dickeads or A-holes with some random ax to grind.
    1b. weigh reviews from plausible people you know or clearly have credibility much higher (aka friends and/or reputable well known BMW forum folks vs. total TireRack randos).
    2. every time you read a review online, read between the lines of each review for priorities / sensibilities vs yours and adjust accordingly - i.e. if the guy reviewing thinks the most important thing in the universe is being silent, but you actually feel like some wet weather traction could be important, maybe you should not take his review verbatim.
    3. people are motivated to post when they are unhappy far more than when they are happy, so when counting reviews, adjust negative review counts a bit lower than the count for positive ones.

I don't know what to tell you bro since your priorities have floated all over the place.... Except - you won't ever get it all - low price perfect wet traction perfect dry traction great wear low noise etc. etc. There is no magic tire like that.

And now off to do something I shoulda done long time ago #unsub
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    A another low cost option.......

"Got to get the miles out of them tires"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12