Thread: HELP EWS problem no crank issue 97 e38 740

My Cars
    740 i e38 03/97 x5 2012

HELP EWS problem no crank issue 97 e38 740

Hi all looking for some help with a no crank issue on my 740i e38
    I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and came across some great info regarding the ews system which i think is my problem on 1998 E39 No Start EWS problems.

The problem started with a flat battery after I did some work whilst leaving the ignition on to listen to the radio. I just started the car and all was fine.

I then would have intermittent no crank issues which initially I thought was a flat battery again but I could not jump the car. after doing some research a decided to replace the ignition switch. which I did and tested it with screwdriver and started straight up I then installed the ignition switch and it would not crank nothing lights on dash not no crank. I then decided it might be the starter so I removed it and tested it but all seemed fine. I installed a wire into the trigger for the starter so I could connect directly to the jump terminal under the bonnet if was ever stranded and when I tested it the car fired straight up twice i thought i had bypassed the problem. the third time I tried the car would crank but not fire. all these times the key was in the ignition in the on position. since then i have not been able to get the car to start and the it appears the problem has gotten worse

I have jumped the ews main power and the car will then crank via the key but not fire. there is no visable signs of damage to the ews unit

In what I have read in the above thread the car may have lost the key sync codes by leaving the key in the ignition, jump starting etc.

How do I find out if this is the case I have no software at this stage but can download it if someone can give me some advise on it.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    In the PM you sent me there was an information that the car is made 3/97. Check if you have EWS3 box. If so, I would primarily suspect this unit. You can try at the moment, when there is no crank, wiggle the connector on the EWS and see if the relay inside clicks. If it clicks, then it will also turn over. In that case the problem is in the EWS unit and it will need replacement (if you do not have any programmer for EWS circuits, you would need to order the new EWS based on VIN at the dealership and after installation it must be coded). Hopefully noone replaced the units (DME, EWS and keys) as a set which would be a larger problem. As the problem appears and goes away, it most likely is not the transponder.
    Martin Voigts
    BMW cars indy and locksmith
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    740 i e38 03/97 x5 2012
    thanks for getting back to me.

it is a EWS 3 box.
    No luck with wiggling the EWS connector no relay click nothing
    I have not been able to start the car since i jumped the starter to check it was not the fault the fault is now permanent.
    so getting the car to the dealership for coding is going to be a tow.

I would prefer to get the software needed to be 100% sure. What software do I need ? there is lots of talk of INPA on here I presume this is what I need but is there a particular version I need.
    Thanks again

Sean

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    You can use INPA to diagnose it but for diagnosing (not coding etc.) of EWS, also BMW Scanner 1.4.0 is very good.
    Martin Voigts
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    740 i e38 03/97 x5 2012
    I cant find a BMW scanner 1.4.0 that will run on windows 10 / 64 bit operating system.
    I seem to only have the round obd port
    I am trying to find my way though downloading inpa for windows 10

Is there a better option I have seen a lot a chat about carly and other apps but im not sure if there to new to work with the e38 ?

Thanks Sean

My Cars
    740 i e38 03/97 x5 2012
    Do you repair these ews units ? I see that RPM in Canada will sell you a remanufactured EWS and I noticed that the later version ews you refer to as a PITA to work with.

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    Quote Originally Posted by gerosean View Post
    Do you repair these ews units ? I see that RPM in Canada will sell you a remanufactured EWS and I noticed that the later version ews you refer to as a PITA to work with.
    I do not repair them. I usually use a second-hand working EWS and just use the data from the original EWS from the car. If there is the same MCU inside, it is just about loading data from your car's EWS in it. If the MCU is not the same, it is a more difficult job.

For the EWS4.3 I have a new equipment which makes the job not as much hard. Since I am located in Prague, Czech Republic, I think I can not help you much more as the shipping would cost more than the new EWS unit at the dealer's.
    Martin Voigts
    1997 E36 318iS Sierrarot
    2012 Ford Mondeo

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    I just ordered a new DME from ecu repair in FL. $375 and I'll get $100 back when I send them my old DME

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    Got my DME today