Thread: OEM Head unit with an aftermarket amp?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

OEM Head unit with an aftermarket amp?

Is it possible to connect an OEM radio to an aftermarket AMP?
    My fiend wants to keep everything absolutely stock in the interior, so we need to re install OEM radio, however he has Sony radio in there with OEM amp missing.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Don't see whey not, I have them in my primitive cars with stock radio cassettes along with MP3 changers and USB ports to handle MP3 files. How will your friend justify upping the amp with crummy speakers?

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    You need an amp that takes High-Level (speaker level) inputs though, as the factory head units do not have Line-Level (RCA jacks) outputs
    The OEM amplifier is an oddball that way, it takes the high level input... most aftermarkets are setup for line level. High-Level into an amp that is designed for Line-Level = disaster
    Also, if you do use an aftermarket amp, you're losing all the crossovers in the system, as that is part of the OEM amp.
    Not sure how it is wired up now, but if he really wants the OEM head unit, putting the OEM amp back in too might be the best approach
    Last edited by cartoonz; 09-07-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Agree 100%
    If your friend needs the stock HU, it will be cheaper and easier to pick up an OEM amp and pop it back in. (Assuming that the PO didn't hack the wiring harness)
    Trying to use an aftermarket amp with the stock radio can certainly be done, but will take a bit of work and might even sound worse.

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I have also heard that you can use the Harman Kardon Top Hi Fi amp from an e36. Supposed to be same connections but an amp upgrade. I believe Olin has it installed in his 94 840.

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    Yes, I have this in my 91' 850.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post
    I have also heard that you can use the Harman Kardon Top Hi Fi amp from an e36. Supposed to be same connections but an amp upgrade. I believe Olin has it installed in his 94 840.

My Cars
    850 CSI
    It's is not the amp that will make the difference..... speakers will and these are rubbish. I have done one, converted everything: head, amps, speakers (keeping stock looks) and still my lexus sound system was way better. So back to stock and always off.
    You just do not have enough space and volume for speakers and cabinets in these cars unless you start modifying everything.

Would suggest: headphones on your phone.......
    BMW 850 CSI march 1994 (EU spec), SOLD. https://www.classiccars-forsale.com/...94-bmw-850csi/
    BMW 850 CSI november 1994 (EU spec)

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Thank's guys, currently OEM amp is missing and no stock head unit. I have both, sounds like it make sense just to reinstall both OEM components as he is just after the OEM look.

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Assuming you could get an amp that takes speaker level inputs (or use aftermarket unit with line level inputs), how would you connect the amp's speaker outputs (and aftermarket crossovers) to the factory harness? Will individual standard single-pole female connectors work for each connection, or is there an aftermarket amplifier cable available?