Thread: Are you going to watch F1 next year if the halo is rolled out?

My Cars
    '94 MX-6

Are you going to watch F1 next year if the halo is rolled out?

Serious question.

I hate hate HATE it. I've given the FIA a pass for all their other regulatory nonsense, but the halo is a bridge too far, IMO.

A big issue for me is that watching the F1 race together any given Sunday has become a real bonding event b/t my son and me. I'm loath to give that up. I don't want to watch on principle, but I probably will, and I'll hate myself for doing so.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    I want to say no, but the reality is yes; at least for the first few races since, if nothing else, the F1 drought coming to an end is always exciting.

We'll see what happens, after that. Voting with dollars is effective and I've already stopped buying merchandise. Could wind up disgusted with the new formula and enjoy it even less than I do this one.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I've been thinking about this as well but overall the direction F1 is heading to. I'm just losing interest in it for quite some time now. I haven't watched a lot of races this year too.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Yes

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    No

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    yay
    Will not watch, nor buy tickets, nor follow the sport.

#nohalo
    Last edited by BoldUlysses; 09-07-2017 at 11:52 PM.

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Yes - it doesn't bother me at all.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by janders211 View Post
    Yes - it doesn't bother me at all.

I don't understand why it's such a deal breaker for some people.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Yes, I'll watch, but I still think it looks stupid and won't provide as much protection as the press likes to tout. It wouldn't have really prevented any of the rare head injuries in F1 for the last 20 years, so I question as to whether it's really needed.

I think it's one of those "feel good" things more than an actual improvement to safety. Kinda like the low noses we currently have being for "safety."

My Cars
    TBD
    The chances of deflection into unprotected body parts (being deflected down towards the neck/shoulders/chest instead of hitting the helmet) are greater. A piece of carbon fiber wing hitting a driver in the chest at 180mph is much more dangerous than the same piece hitting the driver's helmet. We saw at Spa 2 weekends ago a piece of front wing almost thrown over the catch fence.

I don't think enough testing has been done to assure anyone that the safety benefits outweigh the risk factors. I don't even think they've tested for many risk factors - besides egress rules. I haven't read any scientific studies done. I've read some (a lot of prose) pieces but not much of any value.

Open wheel, open seat. If you think it's too dangerous then don't drive. That simple.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    Aesthetics matter to me. I don't want to watch ugly race cars.

Granted, it's hard to make the case that the cars are lookers right now, but...everyone's got their tipping point, I suppose.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post

Halo is another dagger in the heart of F1 by FIA. At some point it's time to step away.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    The chances of deflection into unprotected body parts (being deflected down towards the neck/shoulders/chest instead of hitting the helmet) are greater. A piece of carbon fiber wing hitting a driver in the chest at 180mph is much more dangerous than the same piece hitting the driver's helmet. We saw at Spa 2 weekends ago a piece of front wing almost thrown over the catch fence.

I don't think enough testing has been done to assure anyone that the safety benefits outweigh the risk factors. I don't even think they've tested for many risk factors - besides egress rules. I haven't read any scientific studies done. I've read some (a lot of prose) pieces but not much of any value.

Open wheel, open seat. If you think it's too dangerous then don't drive. That simple.
    This. All of this.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    The craziest part of all this HALO BS is that it's a reaction to something that hasn't even happened (in modern F1)! There have been zero fatalities or permanent life-altering injuries in modern F1. And no, hitting a tractor has nothing to do with HALO, that was poor track safety and is no longer an issue.

EVERYTHING about this is reacting to something so rare and theoretical that it hasn't even happened!! I'd understand if there would've been issues already, but there haven't! And not just deflections, with other issues too (like fumes, getting stuck, visibility etc.) the HALO will more likely CAUSE danger than prevent that yet-to-happen freak accident!
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post

100% agree.

I'll probably at least watch the first couple of races to see if I can stand watching a bunch of giant flip flops driving around.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by roarf View Post
    flip flops
    At least they won't have to change the letter.

My Cars
    TBD
    They should give the drivers GIANT helmets that are kept on with a combination of HANS devices and exploding bolts attached to the cockpit

261924_large.jpg

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Just attach friggin' laser beams to their friggin' heads!

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post
    The craziest part of all this HALO BS is that it's a reaction to something that hasn't even happened (in modern F1)! There have been zero fatalities or permanent life-altering injuries in modern F1. And no, hitting a tractor has nothing to do with HALO, that was poor track safety and is no longer an issue.

EVERYTHING about this is reacting to something so rare and theoretical that it hasn't even happened!! I'd understand if there would've been issues already, but there haven't! And not just deflections, with other issues too (like fumes, getting stuck, visibility etc.) the HALO will more likely CAUSE danger than prevent that yet-to-happen freak accident!
    Even if the halo wouldn't have stopped it, Jules did die in the modern era of F1. Not sure how you can dispute that.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    I mean that the Halo would've prevented absolutely zero accidents/deaths/serious injuries. An updated, corrected version of that sentence: "There have been zero fatalities of permanent life-altering injuries in modern F1 caused by lack of HALO". HALO wouldn't have solved anything, we haven't needed it at all.

Especially until now there is no indication that it would prevent anything in today's F1 where tractors are not allowed on track without virtual safety car at the very least. Jules wouldn't have died with today's rules even without the HALO. And also most probably would've died back then even with the HALO.

The only vague if or maybe is the case of Massa, because there's a minuscule chance that the Halo could've intercepted the spring. But even that is debatable: would it have hit the HALO? Would the HALO have made things worse? Also that was not a permanent life-altering injury AFAIK.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Probably, but I'll complain the whole time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
    Probably, but I'll complain the whole time.
    Can I change my answer to this?