Thread: Learn Me: Real World difference and experience between E91 and E61

My Cars
    None

Learn Me: Real World difference and experience between E91 and E61

Finally in the market for a wagon, namely a BMW. It's come down to either an E91 or a pre-LCI E61. They're both in the price range I'd prefer, it's just rare for them to pop up for sale in my area (Kansas City). The ones that do are high mileage (100k+), but not really worried about that. I just don't know anyone in person that owns either one as wagons in general are surprisingly rare around here...

I've looked for a very long time for an E39 for a future LS swap but moldy carpet, rust, and just not being anywhere near me has pushed me to the newer tourings.

Tech isn't all that important to me, as it's just one more thing to break and/or annoy me. If it wouldn't send the ECU in to a fritz, I'd rather delete the majority of tech that comes with either one to include the pano-roof, but that's for another discussion.

If it can fit a wife, a three year old kid, and on occasion a husky, that is all that matters. Being fun to drive also wouldn't be too bad.

I'd like to know about the DD capabilities, is the MPG really a 1-2 MPG difference between the two, should I just stay away from either one and get a F31 even if it's more than what I want to spend, etc etc.

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, M6, Black - Hooker LT's, Magnaflow Quad-tip exhaust, SLP CAI, full suspension, clutch. SOLD

2005 Pontiac GTO, M6, Cyclone Grey Metallic - CSP ported intake/TB, Flowmaster exhaust, Pedders Street I, EE catch can, Monster clutch, LSS, Vararam, DBA/Hawk. SOLD

2006 BMW 530xIT, Black Sapphire Metallic - Needing a diet and a LS

My Cars
    None
    Mod can delete this post if need be; ended up buying a 2006 530xIT sport.
    2000 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, M6, Black - Hooker LT's, Magnaflow Quad-tip exhaust, SLP CAI, full suspension, clutch. SOLD

2005 Pontiac GTO, M6, Cyclone Grey Metallic - CSP ported intake/TB, Flowmaster exhaust, Pedders Street I, EE catch can, Monster clutch, LSS, Vararam, DBA/Hawk. SOLD

2006 BMW 530xIT, Black Sapphire Metallic - Needing a diet and a LS

My Cars
    BMW
    Good call on the E61. Wifey, two kiddos, and two big labs fit without issue!

-James