Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Airbag Control Module, Internal Error (F0, 240 errors). Finally found a fix!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders

Airbag Control Module, Internal Error (F0, 240 errors). Finally found a fix!

So I got to revisit the Z3 airbag module, specifically the 1999-2000 Z3 airbag module, the Temic MRSZ3 v2.5. My Z3 had part number 65778386192 fail on me, with the awful F0, 240 Internal error that have been coming up lately.
    I had replaced mine, but I wasn't satisfied with not knowing why it fails. The same exact problem happens to E39 of the same era/generation airbag controllers.

Well it seems that any short or voltage insult can cause the module to overload the error memory location on the chip, and lock the module. In my case I believe it was when I plugged in a newer generation seat belt tensioner from a 2001-2002 Z3 (which I was given for free). I have seen it happen from other shorts, caused by corrosion or water, and even voltage spikes when disconnecting and reconnecting the car battery.

So it turns out this is purely a software fault, and the hardware is more than likely to be completely fine, as long as the short that caused it is removed.
    This is similar to, but not the same as Crash Memory stored error (1B).

Once error F0 (240 in decimal) comes up, the module refuses to operate. The error cannot be cleared with INPA or any diagnostic devices.
    The module either needs to be replaced at a very high cost.. or as I found out, it can be reprogrammed.

Module must be removed from car. It is mounted on the transmission tunnel, right behind center console. It is possible to remove without taking out the center console, from removing the driver's knee panel and accessing it from the side. It's tight, but possible.

The answer is to directly read the airbag microcontroller unit's memory with a chip reader/programmer, erase the problem areas to clear the hard faults, and rewrite over it with good data. I found out that the module does store the 7 digit VIN number, so it's nice to be able to change it if the module had been replaced before.

Z3 airbag module.jpg

If anyone needs this done, I can do it if you ship me the module. I will probably put an ad in the classifieds for it.
    I may even set up an advance exchange for it, now that I have 2 working ones.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    z3
    Thats awesome man, nice work!!!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Sweet. I'm totally impressed :-) ... but also what I'm finding delightful is: this is starting to feel like the old '55 and '57 chev days where by the mid-60s' about everything about them was known and how to work around or optimize really everything had become common shadetree mechanic knowledge... I like the feel of this progression/evolution.

Though question: any thoughts on the prevalence of those of us with airbag lights on on the dash, that don't clear with contact cleaner on the airbag connectors, being caused by this?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Airbag lights will never clear by themselves (nor with a battery disconnect), so a diagnostic scan with a clear is always necessary (at the 20 pin port, with tools like my INPA pack).
    IF the error F0 is present, then even the diagnostic scan tool will not clear it. An 'error: ECU REJECTED' fault comes up.

The internal error issue has been coming up more and more recently, so it's not rare.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?2349213
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?2322637
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?2311028

I had always assumed it was a hardware fault, but after doing some digging, and comparison of my good module currently in car to my faulty module.. I decided to flash it with the data from my good car. Then the internal fault cleared, and I have tested this module in all sorts of ways and it's back to operation.
    I had found some vague info on E39 with the same generation module on foreign forums (yay google translate), and decided to revisit mine.

You can read the memory data even with INPA, in a slow way (using the Memory read function), but INPA will not change the data. The sequential data read in INPA is somewhat useful because it can be used to tell of the cause of internal ecu error.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 09-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I'm very glad someone else believes in fundamental research... keep it up :-)
    Last edited by shogun; 08-20-2022 at 05:39 PM.

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    so what exactly are you doing to it? I've got a z4 with the same error, I have a 270+ programmer too
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    270 programmer seems to be CAS only no?
    Your system probably is the MRS4/MRSZ4 type, depending on the year. (In fact I have a Bosch MRSZ4 sitting in a room somewhere). MRSZ4 is readable by using programmers like Carprog and the like, some even work through OBD port.

Either way, you need to read the MCU data.

I had a working airbag module that I was able to compare how 'normal' errors get stored in the eeprom, and then when I flashed my spare 'dead' module with normal data (pulled from my working module), it recovered function fully. I then found the area in the data which disables the module completely, by much trial and error.
    Clearing that area with allow normal function again. Module clears errors now, generates errors, communicates to diagnostics, runs status tests, codes, etc.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Nice work, Abel! We're extremely lucky to have you as resident expert (and many other experts as well)!
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    36 Cylinders

Thank you! I'm not one for titles... after all, it's just poking at things with electricity and wires. It's more fun for me than anything else.

Either way, if anyone needs this done to their module, I will do it for free for the first handful active long term members (as long as you include a return label), and those who are literally a cat.
    Let me know, I am very fond of Z3s and want to keep as many as possible on the road in perfect condition.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Excellent, I had been planning to buy a new module and use the old as a monitor riser. I think it has internal damage, the airbag light was intermittent during the winter and became constant when it warmed up. There's only been the internal fault code present.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If you ever have your module out, I can have a look at it and reflash it. Wasn't yours the updated part number (65776908896, Temic MRSZ3 v3.0)? Or was that someone else?

Also, I know there was at least one user that received a used ebay module with the fault in it already, so there can be extras floating around soon.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    No, I have the 192. I had, however, made a comment noting which superceding module p/ns may possibly be suitable replacements, one being the 896.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Brilliant! Good work!

I see that you linked to my airbag control module post. The MRSA side impact sensors both had visible corrosion, ostensibly from water. Maybe it was a result of a leaky window seal, maybe a ripped cloth top, maybe because the PO left the top down during a rainstorm. Whatever the case, water collected in the floor of the vehicle, which, of course, is the perfect place for BMW to store sensitive electronics like a side impact sensor. A short happens, a bad signal makes its way from the side impact sensor(s), and there you have it - a bricked airbag control module.

The topless nature of the vehicle, and the location of several sensitive components on the floor of the car, I believe, would eventually make the airbag control module a leading reason for people to give up on their Z3s. Sure, there's a supply of clean modules on the market right now... for the right price. But every day that goes by, increases the odds of sensors getting bricked. I would not be surprised if the failure rate and limited number of these modules eventually surpasses the trunk floor/ subframe issue as the leading cause of death for Z3s.

I still have the module from that incident. The replacement has been working great ever since I installed and flashed it, but I would feel much better having the original back to working order in case something happens again. Could I PM you about getting mine re-flashed?

And if you don't mind me asking, how did you learn how to diagnose these? It sounds like a lot of electrical engineering knowledge is necessary to connect to the affected chips, and then read, interpret, and clear out the corrupted addresses. Though if you want to keep that confidential, I understand!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    [QUOTE=Schreier;29823894]Brilliant! Good work!

Schreier, yes, I believe that faults like this can eventually deter people from owning them long term... but not if I can help it. Sure, send me a PM and I can help you recover your original module, and do some basic inspection/tests on it.
    This airbag module fault happened to me about 2-3 years ago.
    I saved my module in a closet somewhere since then just to inspect it and hopefully figure out why it locks itself up. I had opened it up, verified components and solder points multiple times to no avail. I powered it up on my desk and communicated many times to it, but nothing would help.
    I can't stand not knowing why something is broken or doesn't work. I blame my parents , as on my dad's side, there has to be a very deeply integrated gene for tinkering and handiness.

I am mostly self taught, with a lot of research online, and have a few very talented and knowledgeable contacts. My career training is not at all in the electronics field, as I have a masters in medicine and surgery, which I completed in Europe; graduated a couple years ago, and I am transferring all my licensing and (*still) preparing for residency. In between running clinical trials, shadowing, and some research, I play with car diagnostics, electronics, tuning, minor module hacking etc... all in a very 'evidence based' study. I do the latter mostly because it's a ton of fun. But I don't think I'd make a career out of it.

Anyways, recently, after seeing that it was also a common issue on the E39 Temic MRSZ3 v2.5 (there are just more of these out there still) as well on some foreign forums, I decided to read the memory in the microcontroller unit with an eeprom/MCU/chip programmer device that I used on VW and BMW instrument cluster swaps, other airbag modules, key programming, etc.

The how: (long story short) I looked at which pins of the MCU needed to be accessed by reading MCU specific documents, and traced those pins on the electronics board to a more accessible point. I used the programmer to pull the data.
    I then discovered how to read the airbag module memory in my current, good module with INPA (just so I didn't have to pull it out of car), 16 bytes at a time, for a total of 300 bytes. I rebuilt the data I read into a file, manually typing byte by byte.
    I began by comparing the data to my internal fault module and started looking for data patterns. I learned how the airbag system errors get stored, how to insert errors into the data, how to remove specific errors, how to trigger some errors,.. etc. And even how to insert some data to cause the internal fault (240). I also identified that the memory does store VIN number, and a module serial number, with date of production, error timers, among a few other things.

I am not nearly this advanced yet, but it technically should be possible to write a custom INPA script to erase the internal error, by overwriting the corrupt data with blank data. That would make it possible do it easily with the diagnostic program. I can't be 100% sure of this, because there are always more factors involved, but I was able to get to read through the car diagnostic system (K-line sequential data reads), so it may be possible to send rewrite commands, because this kind of eeprom data can be rewritten byte by byte...
    Last edited by shogun; 08-20-2022 at 05:40 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 330i
    I bought a used module on eBay, plugged it in, and it threw the 240 code. That Seller replaced it with another that "came from a Z3 with no airbag light on." That one also threw the 240 code. The Seller apologized and returned my money. Great seller, "euroholics." So this post is a real relief. I have three modules now and would like to "clear" two of them, Abel, and I'll give you the other one. They are all the same PN and manufacturer. Temic MRSZ3 v2.5. PN 65778386192. Will PM you.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    looks like i have the same problem, side airbag sensor got wet and locked my module up... however mine is a euro spec 2001 out of japan, dont know if that is a module that you could work on

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    My airbag module will not connect and be read by INPA. Checked fuses, both good. Does this mean it can not be reprogramed?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    looks like i have the same problem, side airbag sensor got wet and locked my module up... however mine is a euro spec 2001 out of japan, dont know if that is a module that you could work on

What is the part number, if you know. It's likely very similar in design and should be able to be reprogrammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shet View Post
    My airbag module will not connect and be read by INPA. Checked fuses, both good. Does this mean it can not be reprogramed?
    Are you using the 20-pin port with INPA? If there's no connection after making sure everything else works, then the wiring to the module or the module itself physically is broken. Reprogramming would not fix that. All these modules with internal error fault all are working but software locks them up.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 330i
    Abel, I "scanned" the airbag subsystem using INPA and got about every related code imaginable: 5v voltage, driver side, passenger side, etc., about eight or ten codes total, and including the dreaded 240 ECU code. I believe that all of them are intermittent, or "not active at this time." You suggested that prior to plugging in the cleared module, disconnect at least the seat belt plugs and side airbag sensors, so when I plug in the cleared module I don't just immediately get the ECU error. Is there a way for you to tell when you review the errors prior to clearing it what caused the trigger?

Again, this is awesome progress, thank you.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Once the internal error code is set, you cannot really tell which code came first with INPA. Maybe there is a way... if I read the INPA errors and correlate them to the chip read. You having 3 bad modules will add to the statistical power of my guess. They should all be errored similarly.

In the chip read, the error codes are stored in order or appearance, along with a timer of how long they've been active. So technically (and presumably) I can infer which caused the error 240 by finding the code 'closest' to the time of error 240. Easier said than done.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 330i
    Code 20 Belt Lock Driver appeared first in the list! So that's specific as hell. But I believe that Error Code list was from what's marked as #2 in your group of three modules I sent you. Now, how to go about diagnosing it; should be pretty easy. This is getting to be fun. I hope what you suggest is right on Abel. This is like discovering the BMW Rosetta Stone. Think of all the people who will be (might be) driving safer cars.
    Last edited by shogun; 08-20-2022 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by wallball View Post
    Code 20 Belt Lock Driver appeared first in the list! So that's specific as hell. But I believe that Error Code list was from what's marked as #2 in your group of three modules I sent you. Now, how to go about diagnosing it; should be pretty easy. This is getting to be fun. I hope what you suggest is right on Abel. This is like discovering the BMW Rosetta Stone. Think of all the people who will be (might be) driving safer cars.
    Well, airbag module 2&3 (used) you sent me were from previously crashed cars, as they contain "Crash Telegram Memory". So the crash memory is more likely to have caused the internal error 240 in those 2. I can see the date you coded them, and that it automatically took your car's VIN instead of their original VIN.

I think your car itself may be fine, and that the crashed car modules were locked up after the donor cars' crash. They will clear just fine.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 09-20-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Finished your modules Mr. Don. They all cleared without a problem, they tested fine too. I tested a bit of functionality, triggered some errors on purpose and everything was behaving correctly. Will be shipping them out tomorrow.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 09-20-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Well, airbag module 2&3 (used) you sent me were from previously crashed cars, as they contain "Crash Telegram Memory". So the crash memory is more likely to have caused the internal error 240 in those 2. I can see the date you coded them, and that it automatically took your car's VIN instead of their original VIN.

I think your car itself may be fine, and that the crashed car modules were locked up after the donor cars' crash. They will clear just fine.
    Yes, 2 and 3 were from the eBay seller. # 1 was the original one that came in my car. Did it have any indication of crash data? Or any clues to what made it go error 240? I guess what you're suggesting is that I install either 2 or 3 and either will be good? Anyway, I am looking forward to working through this and seeing that dash light go off!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Finished your modules Mr. Don. They all cleared without a problem, they tested fine too. I tested a bit of functionality, triggered some errors on purpose and everything was behaving correctly. Will be shipping them out tomorrow.
    Yahoo! You are the bomb, as millennials would say.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    No idea what may have caused it yet. I will have to inspect the data closely and look for patterns.
    There was no crash data (airbag deployment) in your original module.

Yes, you can plug in whichever. All errors are cleared and ready to go. Plug in everything and try. Any error that comes up, if anything, will be real from the car.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast