Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Bumper repair possibility?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr

Front Bumper repair possibility?

I have a 98 Z3 2.8 where the front bumper looks like this. Is there any way this can be bent back to a better shape to remove that droop? I have no idea what the material is made of fully and or how malleable it can be?

I mean, is it possible under the warmest of conditions, to take like a 4x4 wedged under the droop and lift up, ever so slightly but with increasing force...in a way to reshape it some? (I realize this is likely not going to work, but heck, gotta ask right?) :

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    Bump, trying to see if there are any options here. I am fine to leave it, but wanted to see if there are any solutions to consider.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Just so you don't feel like you're all alone and nobody cares as I don't have a solution or suggestion. But, looking closely at your pic, it appears that you don't suffer from a saggy front end but rather an upward bulge. Starting at the left side of the grill and following the line between the bumper and the grill, the bumper slowly rises and eventually rises over the grill and then returns to 'normal'. As far as a solution goes, I'd say you're SOL. The thermoplastic has settled into a new form and you ain't gonna easily change it. I know it'll bother you every time you look at it, but trust me eventually you'll stop looking at it.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by kezug View Post
    I have a 98 Z3 2.8 where the front bumper looks like this. Is there any way this can be bent back to a better shape to remove that droop? I have no idea what the material is made of fully and or how malleable it can be?

I mean, is it possible under the warmest of conditions, to take like a 4x4 wedged under the droop and lift up, ever so slightly but with increasing force...in a way to reshape it some? (I realize this is likely not going to work, but heck, gotta ask right?) :

Something that you could try, no guarantees, would be to take a small space heater and place it at a point where it is not too close to melt, but close enough to warm thoroughly. You could use aluminum foil to create a enclosure. After it gets very warm, ( be careful) take two 2×4's cut to length, lay one on top and put the other underneath and clamp them tightly. Then pull the heat away and let cool gradually. This might bring it back to form. Probably won't ever be perfect, but at least it could make it reasonable.

My Cars
    MZ3 Roadster
    I'm just wondering if an aftermarket belly tray would hold that sag in place? I have not seen a non-M nose up close from the underside, but this one looks like it might be missing a support of some sort?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I also have not ignored your post; just not sure what to do; hoping someone who has done this will chime in. ...... I think both Indiana and sleeper are on the right track. ........ One idea: on my M, I screwed a piece of 1/8" aluminum, (cut to fit the front and deep/wide enought to fill the area under radiator), onto the bottom ot the bumper. (I did this not to be cool, but because I had damaged that area in small crash.) Picture below. That might allow you to pull the bumper into place with screws without changing the look of the frontend. You could recess it slightly so that it's not easily seen. ....... The heat idea could be good, if you are very careful. I would guess that the range between pliable and melting is small. I would use a heatgun. They are cheap to buy and easy to control.

Oil cooler 2 6-21.jpg

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    If you look at along the line where the bottom of the black grill meets the bumper. The bumper is even with the grill everywhere except in the 4th section from the left where the bumper covers the bottom of the grill. The droop that everybody else sees may be causing the bulge that I see. I'd go look at mine but I replaced the grill with SS mesh. The heat treatment seems like a good idea but its got lots of risks. If it were me I just try and stop looking at it.

Finally, there are scrapes along the left bottom of the bumper but not the right (Good on you. Pretty much the entire edge of mine is pretty well nicked up.) that may have come from an impact and caused the your droop and also my bulge. Tough to really tell without actually be able to touch. If it REALLY bothers you take it to a reputable body shop for a FREE - no insurance estimate and go from there.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Since that lower lip is mainly hollow, I wonder if you could shove an appropriate sized piece of plywood in between from the back end. I'm not sure if there are reinforcing ribs or other obstructions that would prevent a piece of say 1/4" - 3/8" plywood from going in.

I wouldn't worry about it too much myself. Even stock these cars are pretty low and even though I'm pretty careful, I still do occasionally manage to scrape the front bumper over something. Mine has got a fair amount of dings and scratches not to mention the clear coat is nearly blasted off due to the sandblasting effect that low to the ground. I try to find it charming.

What would concern me more about your photo is that there appears to be SALT stains on the license plate holder.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    No salt stains. Messy wax from previous. Car is clean.

I will stop looking at it. Seems risky to mess with it.

Also, this was from previous owner.

However, damn it...just today I pulled into an angular space. Wife came back out of post office and said you are over the sidewalk and have just about 2 inches clearance! 😲 🫨 I thought I was far enough away. I have to get used to the long front end! Had that been any higher i would have crunch the left side.

Ok...going to let this one go.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    If you look at along the line where the bottom of the black grill meets the bumper. The bumper is even with the grill everywhere except in the 4th section from the left where the bumper covers the bottom of the grill. The droop that everybody else sees may be causing the bulge that I see. I'd go look at mine but I replaced the grill with SS mesh. The heat treatment seems like a good idea but its got lots of risks. If it were me I just try and stop looking at it.

Finally, there are scrapes along the left bottom of the bumper but not the right (Good on you. Pretty much the entire edge of mine is pretty well nicked up.) that may have come from an impact and caused the your droop and also my bulge. Tough to really tell without actually be able to touch. If it REALLY bothers you take it to a reputable body shop for a FREE - no insurance estimate and go from there.

I finally do see what you are saying now. Wow, good eye. I thank everyone for chiming in. Very helpful. What droop or bulge? On to my next thing to deal with.
    Last edited by kezug; 03-13-2024 at 09:50 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    ...just today I pulled into an angular space. Wife came back out of post office and said you are over the sidewalk and have just about 2 inches clearance! 😲 🫨 I thought I was far enough away. I have to get used to the long front end!...
    I just purchased a simple wireless camera that I will position inside the opening looking down. It transmits to my phone so I can see where I am relative to the curb or stop.

Sort of extreme but it is hard to get it right every time by just seat of the pants.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    Last night I had my wife place her finger at the end of the hood that i could actually see when in driver seat. I then got out of the car and saw there is about 2 ft MORE TO GO till the very front! 2 more feet MORE of the front of car that I can't see! This will take getting used too

Maybe I should secure one of those orange line of site rods vertically from the front bumper plate holder! You know, like the orange curb markers for snowplows.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...YaAj5HEALw_wcB
    Last edited by kezug; 03-13-2024 at 09:52 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    When I pull in to a space, I think of the back end of the car, not the front. The Z3 is so short that if you pull the back end in to be even, or slightly in from, the other cars, the front end will have lots of clearance to any curbs. If there are not cars next to you to compare with, just leave a couple of feet in front of you.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    An option is backing in. I remember that suggestion from when I first joined the Forums.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    An option is backing in. I remember that suggestion from when I first joined the Forums.
    That's my plan "B". My plan "A" is to find a spot that I can drive through.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    That’s what all the zscca guys do. When traveling in a group it’s pretty funny to people to see everyone in the group back in to their space. Then everyone does a lemans start and vroom!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    I think this will now be my new habit.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Are you looking for showroom quality? how "nice" are you looking for?

My bumper had similar issues when I got the car, plus the grille was ripped out and there were some cracks

I cut a piece of sheet metal to sit in between the plastics and 2-part-epoxied it into place. I used stainless steel allen bolts to attach a new grille. I think it gives it a nice "angry" look but purists would not like it.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    I am not looking for showroom quality, was hoping maybe there was a low risk not to difficult solution to lessen the defect. Certainly liveable if that isn't the case. Any pics to share of the fix you mentioned?

My Cars
    Coupes...
    My guess is that you have rubbed the bottom plastic OFF the bumper and there is nothing there to support it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35221721890...Bk9SR7b6yOvHYw
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    An electric heating pad and some weight? You'd have to keep an eye on it.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar Ole View Post
    An electric heating pad and some weight? You'd have to keep an eye on it.
    Dakar Ole, you reminded me of a similar technique.

Iron set to low so that a drop of water just comes to a gentle boil when dropped on it. Then use a doubled up dish towel between the iron and the bumper. As soon as the bumper is straight, where you want it, place a flat board on the area for a minute or so while the plastic cools in order to retain it's shape. 'not for the faint of heart but could work. I've used this method for nitrocellulose plastic and it worked well for me.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M52 Arctic Slvr
    Does anyone know where the VIN is stamped on the front and rear bumper? I can find all others, just cant locate those 2 parts.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Watch those aftermarket bumper covers. The hack mechanic bought one for $220 off Amazon and couldn't use it because it was too thin and cheap: https://bimmerlife.com/2021/05/22/th...-bumper-cover/

He finally found a used one, but had to repair it: https://bimmerlife.com/2023/03/06/ze...laced-part-ii/
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1996 z3
    No salt stains. Messy wax from previous. Car is clean.

I will stop looking at it. Seems risky to mess with it.

Also, this was from previous owner.

However, damn it...just today I pulled into an angular space. Wife came back out of post office and said you are over the sidewalk and have just about 2 inches clearance! 😲 🫨 I thought I was far enough away. I have to get used to the long front end! Had that been any higher i would have crunch the left side.

Ok...going to let this one go.
    Your lucky Indiana doesn't require a front license plate, I'd dump that plate base, to me they shittifie the front of any car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast