Thread: E36 M3 Aero Mods for Track... best bang for the buck suggestions.

My Cars
    2 E36 M3, 1 E46 328i

E36 M3 Aero Mods for Track... best bang for the buck suggestions.

So, I am looking around for front and rear aero for my E36M3 for Time Trial.

I have searched the interwebs for options and have seen some nice pieces of kit... but I just want a good functional front splitter and rear wing.. it doesn't have to be perfect carbon fiber weave.

My only requirement is that is needs to be proven to work... I am not looking for a cosmetic show piece.

Also, I am happy to consider used but I can't seem to find anything other than unknown performance eBay bits.

These below links look like good options... but I would be interested in other options.

http://www.sneed4speed.com/e36-m3-aero-kit/

https://www.motionmotorsport.net/col...ant=3715104452

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    The MM splitter+underpanel is certainly a good option for the front. You'll need a big wing for the rear to go with that, and there's lots of options for those. You might post this over in the racing/track subforum since a lot of the guys there with E36 or E46 racecars probably have similar aero setups. They probably know best what combinations work.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    e36 332i
    Home Depot for the splitter, it's your best bang for the buck on the front end. Plywood is cheap and plentiful.
    The wing you may be able to find a used Brooks or similar. I got lucky and found a brooks foil and built my own uprights and end plates.
    kinetic edit.jpg

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    I have started out experimenting with DIY splitters. I am able to find "diamond tread" aluminum sheets in .08 and .125 thickness. 48" long is wide enough for E36 bumpers. 12" is enough panel width to do a splitter projection, but I use wider like 24" if I'm trying to do combination undertray and splitter. The 0.125 stuff is overkill unless I'm trying to project the front edge out more than about 2 inches. This material is on sale for decent prices with Amazon. It's a better strength/weight ratio than plywood for a little more money, I don't have to paint it, and if it gets banged up I just hammer it back to flat.

Brackets to attach it to the chassis and the bumper have been pretty easy to make out of aluminum angle and aluminum flat bar stock with nothing more than a hacksaw, a power drill, a hammer, and 8/32" machine screws with lock nuts. The bumper on our cars is really easy to get off -- just four bolts plus unscrewing all the plastic undertray stuff -- and I can plop it down on a big piece of cardboard to make myself whatever shape template I want. The aluminum sheet cuts easily with a regular old jigsaw.

But it takes time, I think I probably spent 10 hours getting it figured out the first time I did it.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    I have started out experimenting with DIY splitters. I am able to find "diamond tread" aluminum sheets in .08 and .125 thickness. 48" long is wide enough for E36 bumpers. 12" is enough panel width to do a splitter projection, but I use wider like 24" if I'm trying to do combination undertray and splitter. The 0.125 stuff is overkill unless I'm trying to project the front edge out more than about 2 inches. This material is on sale for decent prices with Amazon. It's a better strength/weight ratio than plywood for a little more money, I don't have to paint it, and if it gets banged up I just hammer it back to flat.

Brackets to attach it to the chassis and the bumper have been pretty easy to make out of aluminum angle and aluminum flat bar stock with nothing more than a hacksaw, a power drill, a hammer, and 8/32" machine screws with lock nuts. The bumper on our cars is really easy to get off -- just four bolts plus unscrewing all the plastic undertray stuff -- and I can plop it down on a big piece of cardboard to make myself whatever shape template I want. The aluminum sheet cuts easily with a regular old jigsaw.

But it takes time, I think I probably spent 10 hours getting it figured out the first time I did it.
    Amazon Link to aluminum material if not too big of an inconvenience? Will be doing this soon myself. Thanks alot!

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    I have a tegris splitter that I got from a NASCAR shop for $50. If that goes I would use plywood. I got a blem wing from CIRO Design. Could never find the blem but the price was good. Know it works because it was pushing through the deck lid with the original mount so I had to make some bigger ones. Keep in mind you need to balance out what you do to both ends. I cut my hood, blocked the kidneys, splitter and undertray wing in the back. Metals direct or metals usa can get you what you need. Its a fun project.
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    Here is another one, a little cheaper: http://mkahmotorsports.com/e36-race-...unting-system/

(kind of related) Does anyone have experience with creating their own front diffuser/splitter out of wood? Obviously not anything substantial but to help direct airflow and create a bit of downforce. If a front splitter is used should a large rear wing also be used?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    I love the look of splitters, but I wonder how effective they are at e36 attainable corner speeds. I had a MaxVelocity track splitter and an LTW spoiler. I managed to rip off my splitter after running off T1 at NJMP (like an idiot). We continued to race for another 16 hours or so and I couldn't tell any difference in handling or lap times. Obviously this info is anecdotal at best, but I expected to notice a tiny difference. Maybe if I had a real rear wing I would notice the difference.

I ended up installing a stock lip and underpanel from MKAH. Much easier to load on the trailer now.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Amazon Link to aluminum material if not too big of an inconvenience? Will be doing this soon myself. Thanks alot!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H9Q6RU/ref=biss_dp_t_asn
    Last edited by JBasham; 10-02-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    90 325
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Emerican View Post
    Here is another one, a little cheaper: http://mkahmotorsports.com/e36-race-...unting-system/

(kind of related) Does anyone have experience with creating their own front diffuser/splitter out of wood? Obviously not anything substantial but to help direct airflow and create a bit of downforce. If a front splitter is used should a large rear wing also be used?
    I got this one a couple weeks back on sale. Opened it last nite, rather disappointed. I'm going to try to send it back. It is very flimsy, and the brackets are almost 2 inches shy of even working correctly.
    Back into a BMW, this time a track rat....and it won't be BMW powered and no, not a V8 either!
    Couldn't help myself, boosted e36 m52 street car in progress also!

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1956 View Post
    I cut my hood, blocked the kidneys, splitter and undertray wing in the back. Metals direct or metals usa can get you what you need. Its a fun project.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about blocking the kidneys. What sort of impact did you see on water/oil temps? Do you have a picture of this?

I have the bottom portion of the "grill" opened up and ducted to send air straight to the radiator, and combined with a vented hood have zero issues with water temps. I've been curious about any "aero advantage" there may be from blocking the kidney's.
    Last edited by hooptie64; 10-06-2017 at 06:41 AM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I've got the MM splitter/undertray paired with an OEM LTW wing with risers. Car seems balanced, although I'd love to have Brooks rear wing, but they seem to have disappeared.

Best thing about the MM splitter is it retracts if you hit something. Like the stop plates on your 4 post lift for instance....
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    I've got the MM splitter/undertray paired with an OEM LTW wing with risers. Car seems balanced, although I'd love to have Brooks rear wing, but they seem to have disappeared.

Best thing about the MM splitter is it retracts if you hit something. Like the stop plates on your 4 post lift for instance....
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/brooksmo...=page_internal
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    Hood vents would help front downforce

http://n15design.com/product/e36-coupe-hood-vents/

My Cars
    VW TDI
    Post #2 shows how I made my budget splitter, you could easily make something similar for an e36
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...x-e46-m3-build

I'm shameless plug but I'm selling my bimmerworld wing as I've upgraded to a much larger GoodAero wing to more fully capitalize on the ruleset in my class.

I'll have to wait till I get home this evening to show the data proof but we compared with aero and without on the same car, same day and avg corner speed per my AIM Solo data logger was somewhere between 2-3mph faster at our local track, so I'd say it does work.
    - Brad