Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: '97 328is Build

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Its been awhile since this was last updated.

Right now the car is at the body shop getting some paint work done
    -M3 front bumper
    -M3 rear bumper
    -Hood
    -Nose panel
    -Roof

also while at the body shop we are going to drop the rear subframe and get the chassis reinforcements welded
    both subframe and RTA.

while the subframe is out, i will be taking it to Garagistic to exchange it for a reinforced one.
    once the reinforced one is done I have Revshift busings to go in.
    -Transmission
    -RTAB
    -Diff
    -Subframe

once all that is said and done, then I will be installing my coilovers
    my Fortune Auto 510 with Swift springs came in.
    went with 8k front and 10k rear.

since the car is gonna be lowered the style 30's had to go, so i picked up some DS1's off my buddies Mtech Ti

and will be throwing some Motorsport Hardware studs and lugs when those go on.

Also picked up a M3 muffler, i need to install, that will go on when the subframe work is going on
    now here are some pics.

Last edited by Ajaxx1989; 11-03-2017 at 11:28 PM.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Nice! Car is going to look totally different!
    CBlock

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Nice! Car is going to look totally different!
    thanks man, cant wait to get it back from the body shop

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    The car is all done and got the coilovers installed. and took it to the track

Rear Trailing arm reinforcements welded in

Rear Subframe mount reinfocements welded in

RevShift 80a bushings installed

Garagistic Rear swaybar reinforcements welded. i also got their new 328/m3 dssr (no photos)

Motorsports Hardware studs and lugs thanks to Ayed at Kings Auto Body

Fortune Auto 510s installed

Oem Xbrace installed as well with an install kit from Bimmerworld

Got the DS1 wrapped in 235/40/17 Federal 595 RSRR

since who ever worked on these the brakes last over tighten or used red loctite on the brake line nut
    becuase i stripped the nut on both sides. so i did what Amir did and sectioned in a new line so i could install the Stop Tech ss lines

After all that it was time for its 1st track day at Streets of Willow (SOW CW)
    1st time ever driving a rwd car on the track and cooking the brakes the best i could do was
    a 1:36.3, im sure with an LSD and BBK i can knock a few seconds off that time easily

Thats all for now, next thing for the car will be and Stoptech BBK and a LSD
    Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Ajaxx1989; 11-03-2017 at 11:37 PM.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Any consideration in doing the E46 330ci front & 328/5i rear brakes w/ proper brake ducting instead of a BBK?

Nice work on getting the reinforcements done btw!

Also, when I was still open diff I did a 1:29.7x CW @ SoW (225 Nankangs), so you definitely have a lot more in the car as is... but the LSD will be a huge gain on corner & exit speeds.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Why not go to uti? And why do you need an m bumper it does no performance. Also let me know how much they charged you to paint match each of the bumpers as a college student I wouldn't not be spending all that money on stuff you don't need but you will find a way I hope
    Last edited by zohaibrose; 11-01-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Good Stuff, I am digging the progression. Following!

I loved the way the Revshift Bushings smelled lol.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Neverlift View Post
    Any consideration in doing the E46 330ci front & 328/5i rear brakes w/ proper brake ducting instead of a BBK?

Nice work on getting the reinforcements done btw!

Also, when I was still open diff I did a 1:29.7x CW @ SoW (225 Nankangs), so you definitely have a lot more in the car as is... but the LSD will be a huge gain on corner & exit speeds.
    ill have to look into that, after I posted that I realized how much replacement rotors for the stoptechs are...

yeah the reinforcements had to get done, I know what it takes to replace structural parts of cars ( I work for insurance company )

damn, 1:29s... I just wanted to beat the time I set in my infiniti of 1:34.0 (made 230whp *turbo* rsr, and crappy bc coils)
    but the most I could muster out before it got to hot was 1:36.3, I blame it on my brakes, I couldn't trust my brakes to stay in the gas longer coming outta the bowl and down the front straight

Quote Originally Posted by zohaibrose View Post
    Why not go to uti? And why do you need an m bumper it does no performance. Also let me know how much they charged you to paint match each of the bumpers as a college student I wouldn't not be spending all that money on stuff you don't need but you will find a way I hope
    because its a waste of 30k..
    I wanted M bumpers because I like they way they look. and since I work for insurance company, painting and body work is much much less than you think.

you know when you assume right... I'm not a college student, and I don't have to worry about money as I work a full time job and make decent money, till the state of ca and gov takes it all away

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Good Stuff, I am digging the progression. Following!

I loved the way the Revshift Bushings smelled lol.
    thanks man! I didn't notice they way they smelled, I just noticed it took damn near a month to get the bushing
    I guess they are made to order??

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Hawk HPS are street pads. Just buy a race compound and higher temp fluid like ATE typ 200 or motul, and that will be more than enough to build your skill in this addiction! My first track event I had their HP+, which supposedly is 'dual purpose'...but really can't handle a track that is hard on brakes (this was Watkins Glen). I've since used Hawk Blue 9012 and currently on PFC-06 with ATE fluid and haven't had a brake issue at all. I'm sure any of the true race compounds from several manufacturers will be a huge improvement for you.

My Cars
    3 Series
    I really like Hawk products. Much better than the Chinese Stoptech junk that crumbles when you get em hot, or the EBC stuff that does the same. Ferodo and Akebono are good quality, but youve got to pay up for it and it still won't beat the Hawks.

I always see people buy Hawk HPS and instantly regret it. The marketing is still slightly misleading. Like RMF said, the HPS is an OE style pad that offers very little friction. No performance benefits whatsoever. If that's what you want, just buy a set of $20 Parts store pads.

If you arent getting the brakes REALLY hot, HP+ will blow your mind. I'm fairly certain they've been reverse engineered from alien technology because there is nothing else in this world like it. I've got HP+ on everything I drive. I have for years. The brake pedal will put a bigger smile on your face than the gas pedal with HP+.
    Last edited by testify; 11-02-2017 at 11:16 PM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by RMF View Post
    Hawk HPS are street pads. Just buy a race compound and higher temp fluid like ATE typ 200 or motul, and that will be more than enough to build your skill in this addiction! My first track event I had their HP+, which supposedly is 'dual purpose'...but really can't handle a track that is hard on brakes (this was Watkins Glen). I've since used Hawk Blue 9012 and currently on PFC-06 with ATE fluid and haven't had a brake issue at all. I'm sure any of the true race compounds from several manufacturers will be a huge improvement for you.
    ive tracked a few times on hps (old car) and they were fine. but these weren't like what I was used to.
    I already have ate200 in there. I added that when I did SS brake lines.
    I will be getting G-loc pads soon. I had the r8 compound with my 6 pot wilwoods on my infiniti and oh my were they amazing

I just went with hps cuz the car needed brakes when I 1st got it, I just happened to get a track spot for half off so I went

Quote Originally Posted by testify View Post
    I really like Hawk products. Much better than the Chinese Stoptech junk that crumbles when you get em hot, or the EBC stuff that does the same. Ferodo and Akebono are good quality, but youve got to pay up for it and it still won't beat the Hawks.

I always see people buy Hawk HPS and instantly regret it. The marketing is still slightly misleading. Like RMF said, the HPS is an OE style pad that offers very little friction. No performance benefits whatsoever. If that's what you want, just buy a set of $20 Parts store pads.

If you arent getting the brakes REALLY hot, HP+ will blow your mind. I'm fairly certain they've been reverse engineered from alien technology because there is nothing else in this world like it. I've got HP+ on everything I drive. I have for years. The brake pedal will put a bigger smile on your face than the gas pedal with HP+.
    I had hp+ paired with brembos on my infiniti (sentra spec v brembos were bolt on) and they were good pads. I just didn't like the spongy feel the big brembos give, so I switched to wilwoods

I would actually like to get some wilwoods for the e36, but I want 6 front and 4 rears, but that big baller money lol

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxx1989 View Post
    I would actually like to get some wilwoods for the e36, but I want 6 front and 4 rears, but that big baller money lol
    +1 to Hawk pads... I started with HP+ & Motul 660 and it was adequate (2:05.4 @ #13CW), but would never last an entire 20 minute session before they required a couple laps of cool down in order to prevent boiling the fluid (no thanks, fluid isnt cheap).

I use the DTC pads now with E46 brakes, the pads are still cheap enough, and I use basic blank rotors to keep costs down (more surface area anyway)... but the initial bite and torque is worlds better than the HP+. The DTC compound is nice because it is an evolution of the HT, and does not have the corrosive nature of the Blues. They are really loud though, like everyone around you will be getting their ears pierced with racecar sounds, so I personally love it.

I know that the Gloc are supposed to be on par with Carbotech & the DTC compounds, but they cost more, are harder to find, and they charged my buddy a $20 bed-in he never asked for. He hasnt been happy with them either (track prepped 325ci).

If you have any interest in attempting to run ducting to the front brakes now, I have a set of Non-M brake duct backing plates that I will be replacing with the Hard Motorsport M3 ducting kit later this month.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    +1 to Hawk pads... I started with HP+ & Motul 660 and it was adequate (2:05.4 @ #13CW), but would never last an entire 20 minute session before they required a couple laps of cool down in order to prevent boiling the fluid (no thanks, fluid isnt cheap).

I use the DTC pads now with E46 brakes, the pads are still cheap enough, and I use basic blank rotors to keep costs down (more surface area anyway)... but the initial bite and torque is worlds better than the HP+. The DTC compound is nice because it is an evolution of the HT, and does not have the corrosive nature of the Blues. They are really loud though, like everyone around you will be getting their ears pierced with racecar sounds, so I personally love it.

I know that the Gloc are supposed to be on par with Carbotech & the DTC compounds, but they cost more, are harder to find, and they charged my buddy a $20 bed-in he never asked for. He hasnt been happy with them either (track prepped 325ci).

If you have any interest in attempting to run ducting to the front brakes now, I have a set of Non-M brake duct backing plates that I will be replacing with the Hard Motorsport M3 ducting kit later this month.
    Ive seen your video before, augy showed it to me when he was trying to get me in a e36 lol.
    my pb at bw13 was 2:15.2 when my infiniti was na

I looked into the e46 brakes as you mentioned before, I'm actually going to go get 330 front and 328/5 rear calipers tomorrow from the JY.

and I will gladly take the duct backing plates off your hands.

since I have an m3 bumper I was gonna buy the hard motorsport kit, but wasn't too sure about the backing plate,
    now all ill have to get is their kit minus the backing plate.

and for the ach track day, I wont beable to run, but I'm pretty sure augy and I will be there.
    I would like to meet other e36 track drivers and learn more about his chassis.
    Last edited by Ajaxx1989; 11-03-2017 at 10:45 PM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    went to the PYP in Wilmington and snagged 330ci front calipers and 325ci rear calipers
    brought them home and wire wheeled them with brass wire wheel and took out pistons and seals
    they are ready for paint and new seals.

still debating on if I should paint black or red. leaning towards black.

My Cars
    3 Series
    I vote black. Subtle. Classy.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by testify View Post
    I vote black. Subtle. Classy.
    that's what I'm leaning towards

in other news.
    f*** e36 rear speakers. they would sometime work when I had the stock radio in,
    threw in my pioneer a month or so ago and the rear stopped working all together.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    +1 to black. That's what I did. Lowkey OE+, love it.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    +1 to black. That's what I did. Lowkey OE+, love it.
    agreed, that's why I was leaning towards black, red looks good on wilwoods or stoptechs

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    i havent had much success with boost with my last car... the sr20 (non det) didnt so well.
    I blew 2 due to detonation, the second one even had water/meth injection... Megasqurit and SR's do not go hand in hand lol

however i have seen a few supercharger kits that have sparked my interest so that along with M50 manifold, S52 cams, and exhaust is all I'll prob end up doing.
    Nice cars, How did you blow up a near bullet proof SR20? Ive owned a ton of SR20s and crammed a ton of boost down em, One we ran many years about 30+ lbs on a piston/rod motor without any issues for years. Sounds like the tune-up wasnt good which will kill any motor.. Either way best of luck with your BMW Ive had both SR's and many BMW's and love the bimmers
    Last edited by QUiKSR20; 11-08-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
    Nice cars, How did you blow up a near bullet proof SR20? Ive owned a ton of SR20s and crammed a ton of boost down em, One we ran many years about 30+ lbs on a piston/rod motor without any issues for years. Sounds like the tune-up wasnt good which will kill any motor.. Either way best of luck with your BMW Ive had both SR's and many BMW's and love the bimmers
    the sr20de (RR 00+) have very weak ring lands
    so the 1st motor the fuel pump gave out under boost.. and we all knows what happen at that point

2nd motor same RR but this time some how meth go into my vaccum lines and made its way into the MAP sensor in the ecu (megasquirt ms2)
    which was causing detonation under boost. and this time blew the headgasket.

3rd motor was a sr20vet from the xtrail. swapped that in and after awhile I said fuck this. parted out the car and bought my e36

My Cars
    '13 328i / '95 325i Vert
    the sr20de (RR 00+) have very weak ring lands
    so the 1st motor the fuel pump gave out under boost.. and we all knows what happen at that point

2nd motor same RR but this time some how meth go into my vaccum lines and made its way into the MAP sensor in the ecu (megasquirt ms2)
    which was causing detonation under boost. and this time blew the headgasket.

3rd motor was a sr20vet from the xtrail. swapped that in and after awhile I said fuck this. parted out the car and bought my e36
    Ahhh gotcha, Cant say my Sentra doesnt get neglected now that I have an E36 and my F30 The Nissans are not nearly as fun to drive or mod
    13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
    95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
    92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
    08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
    89 E30 325is [sold & missed]

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
    Ahhh gotcha, Cant say my Sentra doesnt get neglected now that I have an E36 and my F30 The Nissans are not nearly as fun to drive or mod
    I still have my p11, but I let my brother drive it. the e36 > fwd nissans when it comes to modifying and driving. I almost stayed with Nissan and got a s14, but the e36 won

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Nice I was actually at the Pick Your Part in Santa Fe on Saturday and was eyeing these calipers, have been wanting to do it for a while but I keep holding back cuz my rotors and pads are basically brand-new. How much did they tax you on em?

+1 for black!

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Nice I was actually at the Pick Your Part in Santa Fe on Saturday and was eyeing these calipers, have been wanting to do it for a while but I keep holding back cuz my rotors and pads are basically brand-new. How much did they tax you on em?

+1 for black!
    yeah my rotors and pads are new too. less than 2k on them.
    and I painted them black about 2 weeks ago.

edit: I paid 133 for all 4 of them, 12 of that was core charge. and since the car(s) were in the primo yard prices are a lil bit more, prob cost less at a PYP that doesn't have a primo yard and prices

Last edited by Ajaxx1989; 11-22-2017 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    '97 BMW 328is
    curse black Friday sales, just bought a few things for the 36

Koyo all alum rad
    HPS rad hoses
    Hard motorsport brake ducts (minus backing plate)
    UUC front and rear sway bars.
    e46 330 front rotors
    e46 325 rear rotors
    e36 rear shoes w/hardware
    e46 front and rear caliper rebuild kits

photos to come and poss vids on my buddies youtube channel
    installing items

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6D...3Hc0Pwc_pyKGYA

actually have a vid installing the 510s on my e36
    Last edited by Ajaxx1989; 11-24-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast