Thread: 2002 325i E46 New Key and EWS Programming

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i

2002 325i E46 New Key and EWS Programming

Hi. New to forum. Bought a used 2002 325i for my daughter last year. The key has stopped working in the door and the remote to unlock and lock doors. Still starts car. Just can't lock it now. I've done a lot of reading on a lot of forums. Lots of YouTube videos and websites. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. Some say I have to go to BMW to get a new key. Some say only certain shops or locksmiths can get it set up. I seem to think I can do it but would like some expert opinions from you all.

I can order a new diamond shaped key for about $25. It says it has the built in battery and transponder chip inside. It is uncut for the groove. I think I can take it to have the groove cut. But the key won't communicate with the EWS computer in the car yet. I can purchase an AK90 EWS programmer for about $35. That programmer can be used to remove old keys and add this new key to the EWS board. The EWS has to be removed from the car to do this. Once the key has been added to the EWS, and it is reinstalled into the car, the key can be initialized to work in the car by following these steps. 1 - put key into ignition and rotate it to the first position and then back to off within 5 seconds and remove key. Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and while holding it press and release the lock button 3 times and then release the unlock button. The locks in the car should lock and then unlock to indicate the key is initialized.

Now, is all that correct before I go spend $60 for the key and the AK90 programmer?

Thanks,
    John

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The only place to get a plug and play key is the dealer, seems like you are wasting a lot of time on this key, the key comes cut from dealer. please quit wasting your valuable time

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Jbird,
    Thanks for your reply. Time is no issue for me. Cost is! Dealer in town wants $270 to replace key. It's worth saving $220 to me. I was really looking for a technical response to my question as to whether I have my facts correct or not.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The cost to the dealer is like $145.00. Some independent shops will order keys for there customers, maybe if you found one of those they might sell it a more reasonable cost. Also we had a e36 with an aftermarket alarm with auto start in stalled. One problem is the ews antenna ring quit working. Found broken wires, but because of the auto start function. The ews has to read the key to start. To get around that, the ews a ring was removed from around the ignition switch and stuck up under the dash then what must be part if a black wallet key I guess was cut down to a smaller size to fit in to the small hole in the ring,,they had install another piece of round plastic to fit into the antenna hole, the the cut down key would fit into that. The whole thing was wrapped up with electrical tape. So the ews system is always active. I guess you could do the same

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    The AK90 is a great tool. If you can get one for $35 go for it. One heads up on using it. You have to remove the EWS module from the car. Then you slide the circuit board out of the ews plastic housing. The directions say to put the square adapter onto one of the chips on the circuit board. What they don't tell you is it won't function unless you scrape the resin off the tiny wire leads coming out of that chip. I use an exacto knife. Also be aware the instructions are written by someone who speaks very little English.

Next item is I doubt that eBay key will come with a transponder chip. Read that listing over again. Read it carefully. Some of those keys are empty cases with no circuit board inside. Some come with the board but I've never seen one that came with the chip. The ones I've looked at say that but it's buried deep in the listing. It's not a big deal. They are available for about $4 each. If your existing key still starts the car you can eliminate the need for the AK90 and transfer the chip to the new key. I'm not 1000% sure on this but I don't believe there is any coding needed for that new key. Just sync it with the car. Very easy process. Takes only a few seconds.

Most locksmiths I've talked to can cut that new key for you. They charge about $25 around here.

Just read your original post over again. If that new key comes as a sealed unit with a blank chip already installed then you should get the AK90. Cracking open the case isn't that difficult but it never looks the same after you super glue it back together.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 09-04-2017 at 10:15 AM.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    I have done this for all of my BMW's so far. it works good the AK90 but beware you can mess up the ews if you select wrong options and such.

When you get a key make sure you get a "virgin" un-cut key. it will come with transponder that is blank. and a blank key. getting some one to accurately cut the key for me is the hardest part.

I have done one newer car with mine but you have to solder wires to the ews to make that work.

I watched a youtube video of how to use the AK90+ and it works for me everytime.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    Thanks for the replies. This makes me comfortable with ordering the key and the AK90. I did see the YouTube tip about removing the resin from the leads on the chip. The key does say with transponder and is "virgin", never programmed.
    Thanks.
    John.

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    Ive done this before, and have an AK90. It works, but the keys you get on ebay feel cheap and the buttons dont work quite as well as the oem keys.

All the ones i have ordered do come with the chip, but there are lots of faulty keyless circuit boards that wont work period(i ordered 10 keys from 1 seller, 1 the board didnt work, and the one the button wasnt positioned properly on the board)

Also unlike OEM keys the aftermarket keys dont have inductive charging for the battery, so you will have to open the key up and replace the battery much more frequently.

OEM keys have a different style chip with the inductive coil wrapped around it, you would have to get creative to mount that chip in the aftermarket key case.
    Last edited by legoman67; 09-05-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    I've made a bunch of keys with my own key cutting machine and an AK90.

Some of the aftermarket keys are high quality. A few are externally indistinguishable from the originals. Others are merely acceptable, with lower grade materials such as blades made of chrome plated brass rather than the original cupro-nickle alloy. (Locksmiths prefer softer brass blades because they cause less cutter wear, but they wear more quickly and bend more easily.)

In general, the unlock transmitters use replaceable batteries and have more range than the originals. It's possible to find replacements that recharge. Once you have to deal with weak rechargeable batteries, using a primary cell seems like a better long-term choice.

My advice is to find a local place that will cut the keys. Buy/borrow an AK90 to read (and only read) your EWS and save the file where it won't be deleted. Buy few new transponder modules. Create new key transponders either replacing keys that are permanently lost or starting from #10 and counting down. Reserve the lowest unused slots (e.g. key #5, #6, #7) for BMW-sourced replacement keys.

Modifying the EWS contents is only for those that are willing to learn the gritty details and want to experiment. I did it only after I had successfully cloned mine to a boneyard EWS, so that I knew I wouldn't be bricking my car.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    If you want a key cut and programmed for your daughters car PM me buddy I'll do it for you real cheap
    Last edited by Driiven; 09-13-2017 at 05:58 PM.