Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northeast League of Idiots 2017 Idiot Fest Invite

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi A 5 Sp TCD Stage II

Northeast League of Idiots 2017 Idiot Fest Invite

Calling all certified, wannabe, should be, occasional, congenital and accidental idiots…….it’s coming up again on that time of year when those of us pig headed enough to continue roaring around in our beautiful & stylish + 30 year old German darlings in spite of (or perhaps to spite) the looming era of soulless driverless electric transport pods gather ominously garbed in purple robes to worship Satan and make human sacrifices …… errrrrr , no. no…. how DID that sneak in there ? Actually we just get together every Autumn for these past seven years somewhere in the Northeast to have fun with old friends and make new ones over a weekend devoted to (richly deserved, at least in my case !) mindless self-indulgence.
    While our core emphasis is on E24’s you will be most welcome to show up in any contrivance whatsoever as long as we don’t have to get off our butts and push start you every time you want to get going. Hell, last year I flew into Idiot Fest because my car was in the automotive psycho ward undergoing treatment for premeditated miscreancy so I arrived barefoot and horseless and was welcomed all the same.

There is no registration required but I would appreciate being notified at
    baddog@videotron.ca
    if you plan on attending and for which days just so the Chief Operating Idiots (Ron Suabedissen and myself) can keep track of the numbers and make appropriate restaurant reservations.

I am very pleased then to announce that this year’s League of Idiots AGM will take place in the tiny perfect State of Rhode Island (which is untrodden ground for us Idiots) during the weekend of October 13 ~ 15. I have never been there but from my research everything about it from the seacoast to the rural upstate hinterlands looks lovely ! I have no idea why such a nice and cultured place is named after a chicken but the sovereign states of Guinea and Turkey are also named after fowls so I suppose this curious fact is not unprecedented.

Our host is native and resident Jeff Brown who has generously and enthusiastically put in a great deal of work into researching local attractions, lodgings, bars, restos and routing of the Big Saturday Drive (aka Lemmingfest). I hereby pronounce him the greatest idiot in all of RI !

Headquarters and official motel will be the Founders Brook Motel & Suites which is in Portsmouth on the northern tip of Aquidneck Island.

http://foundersbrookmotel.com/

314 Boyds Lane, Portsmouth, RI 02871

It is very clean and has both nice grounds and a fire pit so we can have our traditional bonfire without exciting the local constabulary. The owner is happy to hear that we are BMW enthusiasts as she drove a 7 series .There are currently ten to fifteen rooms available most of which are suites having a modest living room which combines to an efficiency kitchen and most have two full or two twins versus single beds. There are only “a couple” of non-suite traditional rooms.
    The room rate is a bit more than we usually pay but we are not this time out in the back country and these are big suites that will comfortably house two to a room . In fact for only a small surcharge of $ 15.00 per night a pull out (hide a bed) couch can be arranged.

Rates offered to us are as follows:

The rate will be $129+tax per night for two double bed suites for One available queen suite and the two available double bed suites (versus $139) if taking for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    The rate will be $149 per night for queen and two double bed suites if just for Friday and Saturday.
    If anyone wants to have a third person in the suite on the fold out couch, an additional linen charge of $15 will apply, bringing totals above to $144 and $154, respectively. So with a bit of inter Idiot cooperation lodging can be had as cheaply as $50.00 per person per night

It is up to attendees to make their own bookings but I will be happy to try and patch up any sundry souls looking for a room mate to share with.

Make your bookings with Ms. Prena Patel by e mail always mentioning the BMW Event in order to secure the above rates by writing her at

foundersbrooksuites@yahoo.com

or by telephone at 1 401 683 1244 from Monday to Thursday 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM .

Prena also intimated that it would be OK if one or two tents went up on the property and that there would be no charge for this privilege. I and others who have booked rooms will share bathroom / shower facilities with any of the happy campers .

Several of us will arrive Thursday night and the majority by Friday late afternoon but folks can join in anytime they like and I expect that there will be some patching up with us Saturday morning for the drive only. Whatever works for you works for us !

We’ll meet for dinner Friday night at a yet to be determined restaurant in Portsmouth then back to the motel for further inanities around the campfire. Saturday morning we’ll head out in convoy on a Surf ‘n’ Turf tour of Rhode Island westbound along the coast stopping at opportune moments to take in the scenery. At the CT border we’ll head north and then east and finally south back to the motel. Exact itinerary is still a work in progress and will be announced here soon and by e mail to all participants on my mailing list. Please do write me if you wish to be added to the list . There will be a lunch stop of course along the way.
    We are mulling adding a visit to here:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Medi...mobile-museum/

either during the drive or Sunday morning.

Saturday night we will go to Bristol for a pub crawl and dinner then back to the motel bonfire .
    Sunday is usually unstructured and slothful with folks taking their leave when they like.

So let’s go for one last rave in our beloved beasts before winter casts its frozen pallor upon us . See ya there !
    Best
    Taylor

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    Attachment 609340Greetings all and thank you Taylor. I must be honest - to be named the greatest Idiot of all of Rhode Island by the Grand Marshall and Co-Founder of Idiot Fest is truly an honor! I couldn't be more proud of myself as Rhode Island has had some major idiots over the years, ranging from Peter and Bobby Farrelly who made it big famously writing Dumb & Dumber, its sequel, Me, Myself & Irene and Something About Mary, all originating in Rhode Island, the Famous RI Banker Joe Mollicone, who happened to embezzle $13m, taking down the RI Banking system and ending up hiding out in Utah for nearly a decade, returning due to a lonely heart. At his sentencing he was described by the judge as someone with "considerable talents and persuasive manipulative abilities through the use of charm and guile had a conscious, systematic scheme of plundering bank assets entrusted to him", Claus VonBulow, the Newport Millionaire who famously unsuccessfully tried to kill his wife with an overdose of insulin only having her eventually wake up from her coma and then of course our more recent and famous resident and ultimate shark Nicholas Schorsch, who happens to be a big time fellow car guy that runs the Audrain Museum that we will likely be visiting!

So, with the honor of being the greatest Idiot of Rhode Island, (beating my friend John who drives a 657 CSi and these two lads who thought they saw a mermaid off Ocean Drive and then neglected to negotiate a slight curve, I now introduce you all to some colorful highlights of what will be the Saturday drive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MppQzIbS2IQ
    The three big bridges – MountHope Bridge will get you to the Northern tip Aquidneck Island from Bristol, atown full of great little bars and restaurants.

The Newport Bridge will be partof the Saturday Drive, as will the Jamestown Bridge. But before crossingon our way to Watch Hill, we’ll do the breathtaking Ocean Drive inNewport. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHkfJRgPFMs

Next will be Narragansett andlikely at stop in Watch Hill for lunch, via Scenic Route 1A. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkWsYNa93Ac. Yes, Taylor Swift is the big news in the last decade as she lives in town and rumor has it the most recent and unsuccessful presidential candidate and her spouse Bubba have often been sighted house hunting in this very little town. Maybe we'll see him and he'll join the last half of the leg in his 64 1/2 Mustang.

Back to Taylor's Grand Announcement, as he mentions, the route will then go a bit rural, notunlike the larger part of most past Sharkfest and Idiotfest drives. It really should be an absolutely wonderful event!

As mentioned hoping to have a fellow local Idiot and his 657 CSi join us - yes,it's a Corvette powered Shark if its not sold before the 14th.

Regards,

Jeff
    Greatest Idiot of Rhode Island and
    Director of Hospitality of RIdiot Fest!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeffcfp1; 09-03-2017 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW M6
    Jeff, you have rightfully earned "Greatest Idiot of RI". We should fashion a crown of empty whisky and beer bottles for you. I can't wait to get up there with the gang to enjoy our idiot festivities.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Hmm Friday the 13th, you guys are to dumb to have seen that.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    Hmm Friday the 13th, you guys are to dumb to have seen that.
    Rob,

Are you going to be dumb enough to join us?

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70

Idiots Welcome!

Rob, what do I know, I'm just an idiot, but you must have meant too dumb, you idiot! As such, you our qualified to join us and look 4ward to seeing you.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Got my room, got my car, got my warm socks....I'm ready to go!

My Cars
    1987 BMW M6
    Excellent, I'm glad you can make it.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    All set on my end................
    Rob E3

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    I'm in,but I'm keeping my single bed room in the next building.

Rob, keep the Roundels handy in case the six doesn't make it!

My Cars
    1987 BMW M6
    Cool, Dr. Rob is in. Now we can really get stupid. Break out the Scotch and stogies Bob.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Hey Ron,

Lagavulin and LaUnica 600's with a Perodi thrown in for an extra kick.

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    In the spirit of upcoming Idiot Fest, all are welcome, even this potential member!

My Cars
    That must be Dr. Barber again confusing the brake and gas pedal. To my enormous chagrin he can't make it this year as he is off to So Cal to star in Quentin Tarantino's epic re make of the heart warming Monty Python classic 'The Man With One Buttock' .

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    I'm sorry to hear that neither Dr. Barber nor Jim and Jean will be able to make it. However, as such, gate crashers are indeed welcome, eager to welcome both old friends and any board members that want to share some good times and a great ride on some curvy New England roads, classic New England clam shacks and of course, the scenery of the New England Coast. Just be sure to keep your eyes on the road as well as have a well-tuned suspension, unlike these boys who lost it on Ocean Drive.

My Cars
    '92 325IC '88 635
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Marshall View Post
    That must be Dr. Barber again confusing the brake and gas pedal. To my enormous chagrin he can't make it this year as he is off to So Cal to star in Quentin Tarantino's epic re make of the heart warming Monty Python classic 'The Man With One Buttock' .
    Taylor, Is like being "half assed"? Or perhaps Half a brain?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcfp1 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that neither Dr. Barber nor Jim and Jean will be able to make it. However, as such, gate crashers are indeed welcome, eager to welcome both old friends and any board members that want to share some good times and a great ride on some curvy New England roads, classic New England clam shacks and of course, the scenery of the New England Coast. Just be sure to keep your eyes on the road as well as have a well-tuned suspension, unlike these boys who lost it on Ocean Drive.
    Lost it because it wasn't a six.
    '88 635, '92 325IC

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    Local reports say that witnesses saw the car at Newport's most popular drive thru.

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    I just heard from Taylor Grand Marshall that we are up to 10 out of state visitors that will join at least a few locals so we are approaching 15 cars for what Taylor has branded the Surf n Turf Saturday Drive. While yet to be completely finalized it's really going to be quite the tour of what is also known as Little Rhody.

Highlights are as follows:
    We'll start out in Portsmouth on Park Avenue which is right the beach/waterfront just a minute from the Furnace Brook Inn. Then, back roads through Portsmouth and Middletown, passing by a bunch of beaches, Cliff Walk, Salve Regina College and the International Tennis Hall of Fame to approach Newport from the East. We'll rumble through Brick Market to Ft. Adams State Park on our way to what will be the true highlight of the trip, Ocean Drive and by some of the most amazing mansions ever built (and maybe a few circular driveways if any gates are open.

Next, we'll cross the Newport Bridge to Jamestown and its famous Bevertail State Park before making our way to Narragansett on Scenic 1A and then towards Westerly/Watch Hill. Surf then turns to turf in rural Rhode Island. Miles of very curvy and narrow back roads, with a slight detour into Connecticut so that we can reenter Rhode Island through Arcadia State Park. We'll then make our way further north crossing the dam over the picturesque and massive Scituate Reservoir and passing by the RI State Police Headquarters on our way to a former biker only bar for lunch at what is now known as the Tavern on the Water in Smithfield.

After lunch we will head to Providence for a bit of a sightseeing tour that will include a drive and possible stop at Federal Hill (aka Little Italy), Thayer Street on the Brown University Campus and then famous Blackstone Blvd, maybe even passing through the gorgeous and serene campus of Butler Hospital, which happens to be a Mental Hospital. We'll then possibly hit Three Sisters on the end of the Boulevard for some homemade ice cream (and people watching) before working our way along the coast of the East Bay and passing through waterfront Colt State Park in Bristol and maybe a few Beck's and Bavarian Pretzels at Redlefson's, Bristol's authentically German Restaurant before crossing the nearly 100 year old 22 foot wide and two mile long suspension bridge, the Mount Hope Bridge for our return to Portsmouth.

And, yes, guys a few rooms at the Founders Brook are still available!

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Sounds like it might rank as the best Idiotfest yet.

Thanks Jeff

My Cars
    '03 M5; '98 911 C2S
    I'm sorry to miss the fun and camaraderie.

My Cars
    '92 325IC '88 635
    I'm all booked and ready too. The car will be coming back to where it was purchased.
    '88 635, '92 325IC

My Cars
    E24 M6, E39, F70
    Did you get the room with this hot tub? Kinda matches your sixer!

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    This is one of the few times I wished I was on the East Coast...for a few days.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Come on out--It's worth the drive across the country.

My Cars
    That idiot Jeff has very kindly and generously offered to host the Saturday dust up house party at his Newport pile .
    Have a look :

https://youtu.be/mLBi_zSFtFY

There will be drifting contest on the front lawn and turf drag strip racing on the rear one. The swimming pool will be filled with Budweiser for the event and all those suddenly unemployed Playboy Mansion grotto bunnies will be pressed into service dispensing exquisite canapés and delivering scantily clad lectures on manual transmission teardowns and rebuilds. It's going to be great !

Maybe even youknowwho might show up as it is rumoured he is interested in buying the joint .

http://www.golocalprov.com/business/...eafair-mansion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast