Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The poor man's m3, 328is (slow) built thread PICS

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650

The poor man's m3, 328is (slow) built thread PICS

Hello, my name is Erik, first bimmer coming from vw (which is almost the same for parts and maintenance). I got the car January 16 with 168k on the clock somewhere in north Phoenix Az, the guy was the 3rd owner and the car is a California car, first owner drove it back n forward to Phoenix az for commute, did pretty okay with maintenance. Second had it for a bit too with okay maintenance too, and the older guy was selling it just because he recently got an e30 which was the project he was really looking for, so I did the drive from Tucson on a rainy day (that was actually pretty heavy on the way back) I got there, look at the car and took it for a spin, first thing I noticed was how solid the car was, it being almost 20 years old. I was worried about the weird way 1st n 2nd felt, then I learned that's just he way these transmission gears go, or that's what a buddy told me. Drove it home strong and the cruise control worked!

Next days I went to DMV to get tags n the car failed emissions. Check engine light bulb was out and 2 misfires on the Injectors, I was like great! I got screwed! I didn't know about the history of the car until that day luckily the guy was cool and replied to all my questions by text n trying to help me get the car to pass, he told me he never knew the bulb was out and I believed him just because he was actually helping me on trying to get the car to pass.

Car came with K&N air filter, stage one clutch and light flyweight (not sure of what kind other than its blue) by the second owner, manual Vaders and matching rear bench, he also gave me the original ones which were power but they had a tear, motor n trans mounts, Mobil 15w 50 done recently, couple of pulleys, ac belt, dif and trans fluid change, and he just had just done the starter. He had some m3 BMW Motorsport wheels but he said he didn't like the look and ride so he got the 15 on and got new rubber. So pictures talk more than words so here is Betty.

The e30 he got

When I got the codes...

When I fixed the bulb lol

Got a pioneer deck with Bluetooth to match
    Only one I got and I took it with a potato 🥔lol
    Not a big fan of chrome on cars so I went with brushed aluminum look

Wheels that didn't last very long on...

The wife helping outas usual..

Did the depo projectors and first show we took her to in New Mexico, low class militia 16

I did magnaflow resonator and magnaflow exhaust 2.5 tubing, and I threw a dual exhaust tip I was actually going to go to my Vr6 jetta I had. Did the all red tails and got a plate frame I'm meh about it now.

KP Ultimate Swap DME – +15Hp +10Tq, 7,200 Rev Limit, EWS Delete, Secondary Air Pump Delete, Post-Cat O2 Sensors delete, Muffler Flap Delete, No emissions check engine lights

Then we went to wuste 16

Getting ready for the trip back home

Mt Lemmon cookie cruise

Random good pics

Did tein 2' drop springs I got a deal on, a buddy was actually in Phoenix and picked it up for me, sag struts all around,and also got slotted n drilled disks and ceramic break pads I got from eBay, pretty good in my opinion had them for a while no problems at all

Also did the cdv delete, and got the m pedals on black.

Then we took her to San Carlos Mexico

Where there's no speed limit but still got good gas mileage lol

Engine wash n shine

Convinced my self I did want angel eyes after all

Did a few changes n fixes to the cluster

And this is how she currently sits besides the fogs which I replaced for fog light delete

I also did the traction control delete, ngk sparks but should replace soon, I flushed the transmission oil to redline, flushed the power steering, got these from ecs
    Replaced the back windows trim and back windshield cause it was rotten

Forgot to mention we did the headliner n pillars, scored some m3 interior bits like the doom light, oh shit handles, the c pillar lights, and the visors
    We wrapped it with this nice material, I was actually looking for suede but I liked this material when I found it

Fixed the seats a bit

I had the newer model x brace (which is now fs:60)

which I replaced with the og one

Rear mounts

N these will go on once I roll the fenders 17x8 square

Will update later when I find more pics n what not, I'm planing on tracking the car at some point so next things in mind are: aluminum radiator, ecs fan delete kit, sway bar bushings, end links, front struts mounts, m50 manifold, got a project for a dinan intake, aftermarket steering wheel, racing harness, roll cage, and more to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pb&Erik; 09-09-2017 at 05:24 AM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Sweet!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Now This Is a Prooopha! Nice Build going on here.

More pics baby please!
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1997 328iC
    What front lip is that?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    1997 328ic
    1999 528i

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    That is a eBay front lip. Their priced nicely and if done correctly they look good. Used to have a couple.

Good job on the build! keep it up

FYI, 181,XXX miles is nothing! I just bought a used motor/transmission with 300,000 miles on it. The PO would still be driving if it if wasn't wrecked.

Love seeing builds like this.
    Last edited by 328iFun; 09-03-2017 at 11:35 AM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Last edited by 328iFun; 09-03-2017 at 11:40 AM.

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    LolI actually do have these in black, don't think I got pics but this one here also got the m3 door slides since I got vaders and it came with m3 mats (they pretty old now, should get new soon) I have m3 moldings but only the door piece looking for the outer moldings and probably switch the m3 logo for the BMW Motorsport to match the wheels lol

Also got some parts coming in soon
    I ordered this on geek not sure about the quality but I just want to get rid of the wood that's is left in the car

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650

This is Lola, the gf's new daily I got last month 06 325i, just so I can work on Betty n not worry about transportation
    Thanks for the feed back, coming from vwvortex i know how to use the search tab lol and all the work done to Betty it's been my self, except for the power steering flush n alignment.

Last edited by pb&Erik; 09-04-2017 at 10:58 AM.

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Finally got the time to roll the fenders after asking so many buddies actually Colleen hooked it up, I'm still gonna roll the fronts a bit just cause after yesterday test drive/drift, the front rubbed a bit on the passenger side n took off a bit of paint, I decided to go with nankang noble sport ns, I wanted something for track/street n they drift pretty good

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Is it the camera angle or does the toe in on your last pic with new rims look crazy.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Is it the camera angle or does the toe in on your last pic with new rims look crazy.
    It could be both, I had 15" before and on yesterday's ride i can really feel the shaking only going above 20

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Did the oil pan gasket, mounts look okay but should replace in the next few months, pain in the ass, wouldn't wanna do it again but thanks to my buddy George for coming to help n my buddy Justin for letting me borrow the cherry picker. I needed to do this since it had a small leak and I'll be doing the alignment next week

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    I remember when my girlfriend used to scrub my wheels.....

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    I remember when my girlfriend used to scrub my wheels.....
    What happened after? Lol

I got the shift knob, the valve caps and the alignment done. she's ready for our trip to SD this weekend.

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650

I snagged these quick shots before leaving to work, will have better ones once we get to California

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Took her to SD this last weekend she did great in the freeway n all the way there. Some pictures including some at the local cars n coffee

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Nice thread. I took a 328is through the journey to full on D/E car. If you are not worried about the fuel mileage a different dif really brings that thing to life. If you add more brake to the front you can really pump up the rear by going to the e46 rears. You just need to find the carriers and you get bigger rotors and vented. Caliper and pads still work. Enjoy the build
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1956 View Post
    Nice thread. I took a 328is through the journey to full on D/E car. If you are not worried about the fuel mileage a different dif really brings that thing to life. If you add more brake to the front you can really pump up the rear by going to the e46 rears. You just need to find the carriers and you get bigger rotors and vented. Caliper and pads still work. Enjoy the build
    Not sure if I mentioned but the car has a stage one clutch n a lighter flywheel put by the owner before. I’m not sure what brand but I know they only put good performance parts

N not sure what u mean by D/E car. I’m trying to get a few more suspension parts by November im trying to make it to this auto event

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Haven’t done much for her but ordered rear n front end links, and rear sway bar bushings. I’ll be ordering the front sway bar bushings n strut mounts next check so hopefully I can make it to track day.

I have been working on Betty instead, restored headlights n side markers and upgraded to leds

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    I did find a black console piece to replace my wood one. Now all my interior is black

Still need to fix my saggy glove box and then I can take some decent interior pics

Also got my plate to delete the secondary air pump
    Since my tune had it and I never got to it.

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    So... haven’t posted in a while now... I’ve been so busy with both of them. I just finished swapping the starter on the e90 after leaving the fiancé stranded at Michelle’s
    Did the ccv valve cause oil was coming in to the head, belt, oil n filter she should not need anything for a while...hopefully.

I have to do some stuff for Betty as well, this coming weekend I need to do the oil filter gasket, oil service, oil filter, meyle front strut mounts, ngk spark plugs, and just installed the m3 diffuser and took some decent interior pics

Also did the rear sway bar bushings one and for thre front, polyurethane bushings.

I did the diffuser today but might still mess with it

N after

Color matched the lip n the fog covers

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Car looks good. Mad-max schick! (chic` ?)
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650

Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Car looks good. Mad-max schick! (chic` ?)
    Thanks Man!

My Cars
    238is, mk3vw, daytona650
    Finally got to order the m3 diffuser n installed it after spending so much time with Lola

Got some other goodies for the tune up n the oil filter housing needed a gasket so I went to u pull apart n scored this all aluminum housing for $10. Polished it n called it a day. Also polished the started cause why not
    Then while I’m putting everything back... cracked pulley!

So obviously need the whole cooling service n fan delete

Still waiting on the high flow water pump so I can put everything back n pour some bmw coolant

My Cars
    1998 328is
    do you have link to the headlights and where to get those halos, are you running hids or what
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast