Thread: Full power, won't start

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il

Full power, won't start

98 740il

No engine sound when trying to start

I disconnected the hood sensor yesterday evening, it started. Drove it (have to reset the system after battery died in order to pass state testing)

Went to start this morning and nothing...

I saw a video on YouTube that show my same issue but he didn't state anything about a resolution. (
    https://youtu.be/2SC-4RBLXAw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Give your starter a good couple whacks with something heavy hard and heavy. Then try and start it. If it starts, you starter is failing. If not you gotta dig deeper.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    I don't think it's wise to knock on starters nowadays.
    In the old days, everyone did it.
    Now, not so much.

To the OP - our electronic ignition switches are known to be problematic.
    When mine went bad, I would turn the key to start it & get nothing (no clicks, but the dash lit up). Tried it 3, 4, 5 times, and then it would start as if nothing was wrong.
    Next time it would start on the 8th try, or the 1st try.
    One test you can do is turn the key to the 2nd position (but don't try to start it) & then open the passenger side sunvisor mirror. If weird electrical things happen when you do (like the steering wheel moving), it's your iggy switch. This test doesn't prove it's NOT the iggy switch, it can only prove it is the iggy switch.
    Last edited by sealbeach740; 09-01-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    I don't think it's wise to knock on starters nowadays.
    In the old days, everyone did it.
    Now, not so much.

To the OP - our electronic ignition switches are known to be problematic.
    When mine went bad, I would turn the key to start it & get nothing (no clicks, but the dash lit up). Tried it 3, 4, 5 times, and then it would start as if nothing was wrong.
    Next time it would start on the 8th try, or the 1st try.
    One test you can do is turn the key to the 2nd position (but don't try to start it) & then open the passenger side sunvisor mirror. If weird electrical things happen when you do (like the steering wheel moving), it's your iggy switch. This test doesn't prove it's NOT the iggy switch, it can only prove it is the iggy switch.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try in a min

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    So no luck still. I tried the visor things and nothing happened

My Cars
    BMW e36
    Take the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECU
    Take the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECUTake the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECUTake the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECUTake the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECUTake the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECUTake the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECUTake the ignition key and hear if the fuel pump is working. If it does not work then you have decoded EWS or faulty ECU

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Even if you don't experience any weird electrical things happening via the sun visor mirror test, that doesn't rule out the iggy switch for sure.
    But, when I experienced a bad iggy switch, after numerous tries to start the car, it would always end up starting after multiple times of trying to start the car.
    So, it very well could be something else.....
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Ok, thanks for the response. I read somewhere else about EMS or EWS (or whatever it's called)

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Another possibility is a failing EWS antennae ring... this is a round antennae that resides around the ignition lock cylinder. It picks up the 'code' from the ignition key when inserted,
    enabling the EWS integration and subsequent relay/starter operation. There is some posts regarding this, time for a forum hunt. It drove some to frenzy. Part #61356964556 in Realoem.
    If you hear a relay click when turning the key, then a check of voltage to the starter would be in order. If it exists, likely a starter solenoid intermittent.
    No relay clicking? Likely the Ignition switch, antennae ring, relay, or EWS fault.
    So much fun troubleshooting these space shuttles....

Keep us posted on findings.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Thanks, I will look into these things and post updates

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    If I go to the junkyard and get and EWS and matching key will that work for my car without having to reprogram it or does it still need to be programmed?

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Well... it seems in my case it's just a faulty hood sensor.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by dstcyr View Post
    Well... it seems in my case it's just a faulty hood sensor.

Let me take that back! Won't start again so back at it...

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    I had taken the hood sensor out a couple weeks back and drove it once before it stopped starting. My dad suggested I put it back on and see if it changes anything, it started on the first attempt (last night). This morning I went to go for a drive and back to square one. Full power inside the car but nothing going on when trying to start it. Have to get a tool to check voltage at the starter and go from there...

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    I doubt your EWS is part of the problem unless the ring is damaged. But it seems to be to be either the ignition switch is bad (or going bad) or your starter is dying.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Classic behavior of a failing starter solenoid - they know when you have been fiddling and give you false hope until you need it most.....
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation