Thread: Leather/plastic re-dye, need instructions/clarification from those who did

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp

Leather/plastic re-dye, need instructions/clarification from those who did

Hello!

I did read as much as I can, searched as much as I can and decided to give it a try. Not sure on a process/supplies though.
    I plan to get supplies from Classic Dye Products

From what I understand this is what I need to do:
    1. Triclean Prep Cleaner. This stuff supposedly cleans leather and even removes old paint/stains.
    2. Sand with 600. A must? Or just cleaner? If sanding, should it be wet sending?
    3. Leather soft fill. Probably won't need as I don't have any rips/cracks.
    4. Spray their water based paint. Wait until tacky and spray second time.
    5. Spray clear

It's super confusing as of number of products they have. I'm going to use my own spray equipment, just need supplies..
    Additional questions if you know:

1. Should I use their "Crosslinker" with paint?
    2. How much do I need to paint all leather (front/rear seats)?
    3. Will same paint/system work for plastic? Like those trims around seats especially?

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    I'm not familiar with the Classic Dye line, but I just recently restored my driver's seat using Leatherique and I am pretty blown away by how good it came out. I had a 2" tear in the seat bottom and heavy cracking. The cracking disappeared and the tear is almost invisible. I'll try to post some before and after pics.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    I have used Classic Dye products with great success. I use the spray cans on plastic trim and the bottled liquid on leather upholstery using a special brush. You will get better results by spraying.

Sanding is done dry and with 400 using a light touch. You are just creating a good surface for adhesion. If you are repairing deep cracks you would fill them first and then sand.

I have not used crosslinkers, but if want to improve adhesion and durability it would be a good idea. Two products Classic offers that might be good to use are their finish dulling agents #35 or #38). Most dyes leave a finish that is more glossy than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Hello!

I did read as much as I can, searched as much as I can and decided to give it a try. Not sure on a process/supplies though.
    I plan to get supplies from Classic Dye Products

From what I understand this is what I need to do:
    1. Triclean Prep Cleaner. This stuff supposedly cleans leather and even removes old paint/stains.
    2. Sand with 600. A must? Or just cleaner? If sanding, should it be wet sending?
    3. Leather soft fill. Probably won't need as I don't have any rips/cracks.
    4. Spray their water based paint. Wait until tacky and spray second time.
    5. Spray clear

It's super confusing as of number of products they have. I'm going to use my own spray equipment, just need supplies..
    Additional questions if you know:

1. Should I use their "Crosslinker" with paint?
    2. How much do I need to paint all leather (front/rear seats)?
    3. Will same paint/system work for plastic? Like those trims around seats especially?
    Last edited by GregT53; 09-02-2017 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Let me know how you go katit2.
    I've got a white exterior/blue interior e34 and the previous owner messed it up with parchment beige seats, transmission console, glovebox lid and drivers knee panel. Carpets and door cards and dash are still ultramarine blue.
    The two tone mess up didn't bother me when I bought it as I had a contact and line on a seller wrecking his also white e34 with blue interior bits I could use to restore my interior. But that guy kept blowing me off and sold it to someone else, so it looks like I'm doing a colour change dye job on the parchment beige bits I got stuck with.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Small update. "Refinishing" turned into almost full seats rebuild. Both seats were "twisted". Driver's seat headrest wasn't moving anymore. Had to shorten all cables, re-align seat. I took cushioning's out so I can swap driver to passenger side.

Getting close to finishing. Started with doing just one driver seat.

1. Removed old paint with acetone. Prep Clean doesn't do it.
    2. Sanded with 600 lightly.
    3. Cleaned again with Prep Clean (this is what you see on picture how bare leather looks)

I did paint plastic trim for seats, you can see pieces next to other one. They supposed to be gray, not yellow. And this is paint code 5412

For plastic:
    1. Prep Clean
    2. Sand pretty good.
    3. Prep Clean
    4. Wipe on plastic primer (tried to spray but my spraying skills is very bad, learning as I go )
    5. Wiped on plastic primer again. Dry with heat gun on low.
    6. Spray-painted with dye+cross-linker, 3 layers. Got gun figured out. Dried with heat gun.

Also brushed on dye in all seams on leather.

Today I plan to spray paint cushions (2-3 layers) with cross-linker.
    I also got clear coat from Clasic Dye with "matte" finish, will do 1-2 coats. This is for paint protection.

The only thing I'm not sure about (and classic dye just closed my request??) - leather treatment.
    I wasn't sure if I should treat it now while open and then paint or other way around. Also, on their site some instructions point out to using primer on leather for better adhesion (which I don't have)

IMG_1594.jpgIMG_1595.jpgIMG_1596.jpg
    Last edited by katit2; 10-20-2017 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Aaaand... Final result. Swap (passenger to driver side) worked great. Seat looks good. Can't wait to put it back and drive car.
    Every part was painted separately

IMG_1608.jpgIMG_1609.jpgIMG_1610.jpg