Thread: 5 liter engine injectors replacement 550i, 750i 750Li

My Cars
    BMW 530i

Cool 4.4 liter engine injectors replacement 550i 750i 750Li

Hi All,

I know this forum is not for the 7 series but number of people having 7 series is much less and not as active as 5 series. Also my 4.4 liter engine is same as the one in the 5 series. So please be patient.

I am planning to replace all my injectors in my 4.4 liter engine (750Li xDrive 2013) as it has throw a "drive train malfunction" and cylinder 5 injector problem.

I need 2 things to be able to replace my injectors.

1- A DIY for this procedure
    2- An INDY K+DCAN software and connector to update the injector codes in the computer (where to get it and which one is the best?)

Does any one by any chance know of a DIY post or procedure that can help me?

I am in the DFW area in Texas.

Thank you,
    Last edited by Okh007; 08-30-2017 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    You have a 4.4l engine.

You need an ENET cable for your F Chassis car, and ISTA/D to program the injectors.

I would strongly recommend you let someone that knows what they are doing replace and code the injector values for you.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    Thank you Stück,

Do you know by any chance where can I obtain the software with the proper cable?

Also any DIY procedure?
    Last edited by Okh007; 08-30-2017 at 10:23 PM.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    It's very Unlikely you'll be able to remove those injectors your self, not to mention if you don't get harness bolts tight and in correct locations your fry your DME over the BSD line. I also recommend you let someone who knows what they are doing replace them.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    And confirm that is what wrong

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    I checked and it is the injector in piston 5 that is not performing well.

The BMW STEALER wants $1,200 to replace just one injector! and about $5,000 for all 8 injectors.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Why are they the stealer in this case? Are you aware of how much work this is?

Replacing a single injector on bank 3 pays 4 hours (they are a bit high there) Replacing all 8 fuel injectors pays 11 hours. The injectors are $315ea, the decoupling rings are $8ea. What is your local dealers hourly rate? Replacing all 8 sounds very reasonable for what I'm used to seeing.

My Cars
    06 325xi, JDM DC2, SC300
    I just got hit with this craziness myself... had the "drivetrain malfunction" took it in and it went from needing a new coil&plug / to needing new injectors, to needing a new valve spring... $8300!!! They are charging me for everything but the kitchen sink..

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Before you blame your dealer or independent service professional because you think it costs too much to fix your car, did you stop and look at cost of ownership and see if you could afford typical maintenance and repairs for the vehicle and take that into consideration before you purchased? Did they build it? buy it? break it? If the answer is no then stop trash talking them!

My Cars
    E90, E46
    Stuck has it 100% correct.
    could not possibly have said it any better. Too often I think people buy cars they can't afford or neglect to research the purchase and the average cost to maintain that vehicle. Too many people stretch the budget to the max to buy a car they really like with no plan to be able to afford to fix it when a repair is necessary.
    The car AT THE CHEAPEST was 73,000 but it's more likely that vehicle was closer to 90,000 new. Do people really expect a 90,000.00 car to have repair costs the same as a Toyota Corolla? Smh

My Cars
    06 325xi, JDM DC2, SC300
    "Fools and money are soon parted" .. Why do people with BMWs seem to all share the same line when people who also own BMWs complain or so voice opinions about ridiculous maintenance costs; the answer is simple ignorance. If you are one that thinks cause you spend more, that equates to build quality you are a fool. If you think cause your BMW initial cost is above others, and that equates to a better vehicle, you are a fool. You should really reconsider your position in life if that is your thought process. For one, BMW does not believe their vehicles will last beyond the 50k mark that ought to speak volumes for the product. Two, depending on what auto association record you view, BMW is of the worlds least dependable vehicles, in fact last I checked BMW was least to Renault, others might have BMW as ranked 15 - 11 out of 20.

Lets be honest, BMW's upcharge on parts and labor is the only reason these vehicles are costly to fix, in addition to refusing to provide independent shops with access to tools or training to help alleviate costs. The parts used to build BMWs are not of better quality, for instance those Bosch HPF injectors from the manufacture are $98ea shipped, not $315. BMW charges 4x the cost cause you typically can't replace them yourself, not without special tools, software, and training. The tech that replaced mine did it 30-45 min, but the book says 4hrs. BMW wanted $3k to replace the Alt. on my 3 series... I bought the same Alt from KOPerformance, and did it myself for $400 shipped and a 6 pack of Guinness. So what exactly makes BMW expensive to the average consumer; BMW.. Highly Engineered cars with basic low / average quality parts, reliability issues, and sophisticated electronics. The reliability issues are the concerns past to the consumer; you are paying for the projected repairs + that 50k warranty wrapped in the price of the vehicle.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    That's quite the rant-a-thon hypnoticautopsy, much of it however seems only to be correct in your own head.

If BMW's were not a better built car than say a perfectly usable Civic or Corolla none of us would be here. Reliability is not very high on most BMW owner's reason to buy, and I think we can all agree. Every component on an average BMW is far more complex than say.. a new Corolla, so its reasonable to expect a higher rate of failure, higher cost to repair, and a higher parts replacement cost. That said, without exception every component on a car is manufactured to a price point. IE what is the lowest cost to manufacture part that will meet the demands of the application more often than not to satisfy the typical warranty period? BMW or any car company can engineer anything to last forever, but who the hell would buy a $100k 320i engineered to run 10yrs with nothing but gas/oil/tires?

I've never seen anywhere that BMW only expects any new BMW to make it 50k, thats pretty preposterous. The average end of life for most BMW's falls between 150-200k in my experience, as the vehicles value has dropped far enough coupled with years of neglect it is not justifiable to most people to keep repairing them.

BMW doesn't upcharge or overcharge any more than anyone else for parts. BMW makes very few of their actual component parts, with hundreds of OEM's that supply most items. OEM's for the most part set the price point on replacement parts.

I work in BMW service for a living and parts purchasing is one of my daily responsibilities. I can tell you I cannot buy a Genuine N54/N63 fuel injector for $98. The list price is 313, and the margin on that part is 20%. Business exist to make a profit for their owners after all overhead is paid, and I'll tell you a little secret.... 20% parts margin won't keep the doors open for any legitimate service facility. On the same token you see people complain about labor costs. It takes money to hire and retain good people, all the way from the porter that receives your vehicle, the secretary you made your appointment with, the advisor that is chronically unreachable, to the starving technician that doesn't get enough hours a week to cover his cost of living, and all the way up to the GM that lives like a fat hog while everyone working below him fights for scraps. Don't forget the cost of building and maintaining an impressive facility you'd actually want to bring your car to.

This is why many dealers mark parts up above list prices, and charge 150-200 an hour labor rates. Do your research, some basic math and call them out on it. If you've been in for customer pay service at a BMW dealer before no doubt you've notice most jobs are quoted as a lump sum with no parts/labor itemization at all. This is to keep you the customer in the dark. None the less the prices the OP is whining about are pretty reasonable, and especially so when you consider the source.

BMW uses KSD as its labor guide. KSD labor times are generated by having a pool of trained techs perform the same operations and averaging the times together. You are absolutely right to believe a tech can and will complete a job faster than the "book time" and that is how he feeds his family. Would it be right to punish a man for his education, experience, or for his prowess at a given task? Not unless you're an unreasonable cheap ass.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    stuck may be my new favorite human.

hypnotic, Ive worked in several manufacturers and I can tell you BMW does TRY to engineer a better vehicle and under my experience they do care more than some other manufacturers about customer retention. Everyday I see repair costs being picked up by BMW far outside the cars warranty period. I can’t/don’t agree with your assessment as the cars are engineered to go 50K miles as most used vehicles purchased are CPO vehicles which extends the warranty to 100K in most cases. BMW pushes the CPO program pretty hard as it’s good for brand reputation and does provide a revenue source on top of a vehicles purchase but I’d say atleast 50 percent of CPO vehicles get repairs that are greater than the cost of the CPO enrollment....and BMW just came out with A 2 or 4 year UNLIMITED MILEAGE CPO warranty. So if the cars are only made to go 50K why would BMW knowingly extend warranty periods where they would be responsible for ( according to you ) rebuilding the car? They wouldn’t and your logic is antiquated.
    Last edited by SlackTube; 10-01-2017 at 12:39 PM.

My Cars
    06 325xi, JDM DC2, SC300
    Your logic doesn't make sense; Every component on an average BMW is far more complex... that's why you can expect a higher rate of failure? The only thing complex on a BMW is the computer rather complex electronics that control each part, everything else such as fuel pumps, injectors, cams, water pumps... that's all basic components your average Yugo has. I have 1000cc injectors in my Honda, and there is no way those Bosch BMW injectors are anywhere close to the quality build or capability. The difference between "Genuine BMW" and say buying from FCP Euro or KOPerformance is simply a sticker with the BMW emblem. Injectors for my 535i are $98, confirmed by BMW via part number, the dealer simply charges 3x the amount under the mask of "guaranteed" part, and the fact the average consumer cannot DIY. BMW's are very nice luxury vehicles, they look good in and out, drive good too, but underneath that hood, you have basic parts that are engineered to work, much like that of MAC's back in the day. MAC's were built with and still are with drivers and code for certain select parts. But those parts were the same parts you can get in a regular PC.. Apple just charges more for it cause people think more is better...

No I'm not saying BMW's cheaply made vehicles, they are well engineered / designed. If you call HONDA Motor Corp, and I've been to Japan with members of my custom car team to HONDA / MUGEN, they will tell you their motor will run 300k, mine had 189k before I put the turbo on it, that's a basic B18b $500 motor. Never had any injectors fail, no issues with water pumps, no issues with fuel pumps... just the normal gasket leaks almost every vehicle on the streets has.. valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket. My BMW's have had almost every component outside of the motor replaced short of 90k. I've spoken to BMWNA on several occasions in reference to failed valve springs recently, BMWNA collectively stated the life span of any BMW motor is 50k, at 100k they believe that is excessive and well beyond the life expectancy. How long has the 100k warranty for BMW been around? Their warranty IAW BMWNA is 4yrs 50k, the extended gives you another 50k, so you are partially covered till 100k, but you are on your own after that. GM's standard is 5yrs 100k, and they extend from 100k.. Honda 5yrs 100k they extend from 100k, so when you hit 100k on their vehicles, they still take care of you...

The problem most people who post here have with the prices for repairs is the fact they are unexpected and shocked. It's not about doing research and seeing if you can afford the car, if you are looking and you have purchased you obviously can afford it. It's those sticker shock repairs most people are upset about. I am shocked everytime I take my BMW in... For instance, BMW trouble shot my 535 for 3 weeks replaced everything from fuel pumps, to plugs finally finding out I had a broken exhaust valve spring. BMW quoted me nearly $9k to fix it... The problems I had... 1) how can you justify charging $9k to replace 1 valve spring when at this day and age, valve springs shouldn't be breaking, this vehicle isn't made with materials from the late 40's. Those springs should be made of better materials given the price of the car... again, my $500 B18b <--cheapest Honda motor) never broke any springs. 2) What is involved in that $9k? I mean, removing the valve cover, and taking off the CAM is simple work with the right tools, compressing the spring then removing the retainer is easy work... I replaced all 16 springs on my 4 banger in 4 hours, then did a valve adjustment.. so what exactly is BMW doing if it takes $9k to replace 2 springs, is it $36k to replace all..

$1200 doesn't seem that bad until you have to pay it and you think about what you are actually paying for... I could have replaced my injectors $720, and simply registered the injectors in the DME, I have a tool that is bolted to the top of the injector and used like a reverse hammer. The only thing that stopped me is the fact I called several indy shops and they all agreed... "Let BMW do that work.." I'm adventurous but not stupid..

OP, you should let BMW do that work if you haven't already, I would say DIY on other things but BMW fuel management is different and could wind up costing you more in the end than what you are bargaining for...

My Cars
    E90, E46
    I think you must be jaded from a bad vehicle experience.
    BMW has always been above industry average in JD power and Avoider studies for vehicle dependability. In fact BMW has won awards constantly for engines but lets focus on YOUR specific vehicle...If you have a N52 E90 then BMW won Wards best awards in 2006 and 2007. If you have the N54 variant then That engine won 5 straight International engine of the Year awards and 3 straight Wards engine of the year awards. If you have the N55 variant then its won the Wards award for 10 best engines 3 straight times. The fact that you think they are poorly designed and not as good as Honda is your opinion but doesn't mean its any more valid then the ladder argument especially with hard data proving the opposite of your positions.
    You also mentioned that BMW is engineered to go to 50K only but that's claim seems to be based on the warranty expiration ( based on your arguments ) however Honda has a 3 year 36k mile warranty and Toyota has a 2 year 24K warranty does that mean those vehicles were only designed to go that far?? Not to mention that BMWs fluid change intervals for transmission and coolant are considered "lifetime" ( 100.000 miles ) by BMW which is easily attainable information but shows that BMW averages the life to be around 100K miles nullifying your argument of 50K. Not to mention BMW corrosion protection and paint protection has a 12 year warranty. Again BMW just released CPO programs of 2 years and 4 years UNLIMITED MILEAGE also conflicting your argument that they are only made to get outside of the warranty expiration period.
    Lastly A piezo injector for a 335 and 550 and & series is part number 13-53-8-616-079 with decoupler 13-53-7-564-751 with a list price of 400.00 and a Dealership cost of 266.00. Your injectors may be Ebay parts...
    Trust me I WANT BMWs to break as its good for my finances but BMW is not a bad car or company. Certainly better than many out there and I emplore you to back your claims up with data rather than personal opinion otherwise its just noise
    Last edited by SlackTube; 10-02-2017 at 04:36 PM.

My Cars
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician