Thread: Burnt oil smell from vents after valve cover gasket job

My Cars
    E83 LCI 3.0si

Burnt oil smell from vents after valve cover gasket job

Hi guys!

On my 2007 e83 LCI with roughly 113k, I changed the spark plugs and found oil at the tips. Following good practices, I realized it may have been time to replace the valve cover gasket. Job was done at a great indy shop I trust. They did a phenomenal job. Oil pressure is terrific and I feel a difference when I step on the gas, which is not very often. I never red line my baby. I barely go above 3500 rpms, hovering around 2000-2500 mostly.

A few days later I notice a little smoke from the engine at startup. After ten minutes or so, the smoke is gone. Thinking it was just a fluke, leftover from the job, I thought nothing of it. My wife however, noticed a strong smell of burnt oil whenever we put the A/C on. Changed the cabin filter, no help. The smoke is now gone at startup, but I am thinking there's some left over oil somewhere, as the smell is still there at startup and whenever we run the ventilation (a/c or not).

I got a letter from BMW about the Takata airbag recall on the model, and got a diagnostic while I was there. They told me I needed to change the valve cover gasket....I told them I did the job but they mentioned that the cooling system may be affected by the valve cover gasket job. I can't recall how or why they said that would be the case, but I chalked it up to an attempt to shake me down. I don't necessarily distrust them. I just don't entirely trust them. They have good ratings and reviews overall (Ray Catena). At least they let me drive the X1 for the day they had my car. I hated it with a passion. It looks like when it is time to swap out for a different model, I will be going backwards and not forwards.

Can I spray down the area surrounding the valve cover with degreaser without injury to the powerplant? What can I possibly do to get rid of the smell?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Take the car back to the shop that did the work and have them check it. That does seem like the smartest plan!?

My Cars
    E83 LCI 3.0si
    I brought it back twice. They determined there's no leak at all. The plastic cover protecting the bottom end of the vehicle shows no leakage whatsoever. I was hovering around and the really did a thorough job looking for a leak. I didn't mention that the same shop replaced the oil cooler/oil filter housing gaskets as well, months prior.

There's still the smell though. It's getting less and less but it is still there. And my wife's super olfactory senses aren't helping. =(

My Cars
    e90 328i and e36 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by e83onstick View Post
    I brought it back twice. They determined there's no leak at all. The plastic cover protecting the bottom end of the vehicle shows no leakage whatsoever. I was hovering around and the really did a thorough job looking for a leak. I didn't mention that the same shop replaced the oil cooler/oil filter housing gaskets as well, months prior.

There's still the smell though. It's getting less and less but it is still there. And my wife's super olfactory senses aren't helping. =(
    Maybe just leave the A/C on in the driveway for a little while and see if there is any difference after?