Thread: Opinions on swa bars and X-brace for the E36

My Cars
    98 328is

Opinions on swa bars and X-brace for the E36

Its probably been discussed, but lets discuss it again. My E36 has factory front and rear sway bars. I also have a factory x-brace sitting around doing nothing. Ive been experiencing a lot of front end hop mid high speed entry sweeper, but that was caused by my front tires being too low. But that got me to thinking, should i add the x-brace? Remove the rear sway?

Thoughts/opinions?

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Details on the rest of your setup?

I'm on ebay coilovers 500lb front, 750lb rear, no xbrace, no rear sway and don't get any weirdness during 70+ mph entries.
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMX6 View Post
    Details on the rest of your setup?

I'm on ebay coilovers 500lb front, 750lb rear, no xbrace, no rear sway and don't get any weirdness during 70+ mph entries.
    i didnt even think of including this. anyway, my alignment is boned. went to get it did a few months ago and my tierods were seized so i never got it done. other than that im running Tein Basic Coilovers, 500f 530r if im seeing the specs correct.

the issue just came about. ive got 215/40 federal rs-r on the front on an 8.5 contour. i mounted them at 28psi and they were amazing, no more understeer and they were great. i guess over the season they dropped in pressure to 22ish and the sidewall was rolling over causing the hop. i bumped them up to 30psi and there is still a bit of a hop occasionally, but im assuming the sidewall has softened over the season. and ive got some understeer now.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    The x-brace is worth its weight in gold for saving oil pans

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    My x-brace has saved my M3 so many times its nuts. The center bars are almost flat on the bottom side from scraping on hard runs or uneven roads. That alone makes it worth it for me.

My Cars
    Martini BMW E36
    I will vote for both especially since the X-brace can act as a protector and stiffen the chassi which always a bonus. The anti roll bars are probably the most underrated component of the car and rightly so when you see the prices douchebags like Eibach, Turner charge. They are far the best option to remove body roll than just super low stiff coilovers. As for the stabilizer bars welding 2 together or making something out of a sprung tube has been covered many times.

p.s don't worry if it's not sprung steel, any mild steel will do and the benefits are tremendous

My Cars
    3 Series
    Quote Originally Posted by S1Driver View Post
    I will vote for both especially since the X-brace can act as a protector and stiffen the chassi which always a bonus. The anti roll bars are probably the most underrated component of the car and rightly so when you see the prices douchebags like Eibach, Turner charge. They are far the best option to remove body roll than just super low stiff coilovers. As for the stabilizer bars welding 2 together or making something out of a sprung tube has been covered many times.

p.s don't worry if it's not sprung steel, any mild steel will do and the benefits are tremendous

Reducing body roll is a side effect of sway bars. Their purpose is to add steering response and/or actually serve to reduce traction.

Anytime you increase swaybar size on either end, you end up taking weight off the inside tires in a corner.

While body roll is detrimental in the front due the the McStrut suspension, it isn't a big deal on the rear because it's multi-link and actually gains camber as the suspension compresses.

Front end hop sounds like too much spring rate or crappy damping to me.

My Cars
    Martini BMW E36
    Fair enough, I don't know the technical aspect of how it works. From personal experience stiffer stabilizers have made the steering feel amazing and responsive, has stopped the car behaving like a boat left and right, has made some of my wheels end up in the air during regular cornering and best of all have completed cured the understeer in drifting. The car is much more predictable and actually it feels it has gained traction where before it will suddenly let go and often at times I don't want it to.