Thread: Probably a dumb question, but about the "Park" position on the DCT shifter...

My Cars
    2018 BMW M4

Probably a dumb question, but about the "Park" position on the DCT shifter...

... so I get it, with the car either in Drive or Reverse, simply shut the car off and it sets the "Park" default. OK, fine.

Here is my gripe, I have just come off of 20-40 miles of aggressive driving in the canyons. Everything is at peak operating temperature. Coming up to a halt. If I leave it in Drive or Neutral, I have to hold it there with either the foot brake or E-Brake. Bad idea - this causes transfer of pad material to the rotor, resulting in thumping brakes. Option two, shut off the motor, which needs to cool down a bit before shutting off.

My last nine cars were Audi's (mostly S and RS variants) and this problem was moot. Put the tranny in park, let the engine idle and no pad contact on the rotors...

Is there a solution here that you folks are using? Is there a "secret" way to select Park and not have to stop and restart the engine?

Thanks in advance. Admittedly, this is a minor point as we are loving the car...

Happy Motoring
    Eric

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Maybe it would be wise to add a cool down phase to your aggressive canyon runs,
    aggressive through the canyons, followed by a sedate cool down drive home.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M4

Agree, when appropriate...

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Maybe it would be wise to add a cool down phase to your aggressive canyon runs,
    aggressive through the canyons, followed by a sedate cool down drive home.
    ... my thinking is the many stops at intersections where we all wait for everyone to catch up... I try to find a level spot. I guess neutral with the rear e-brake on is the least noxious as the rear brakes do so much less work, pad transfer is probably a non-issue.

Thanks
    Eric