Thread: Tapping or knocking noise near valve covers

My Cars
    2008 m3

Tapping or knocking noise near valve covers

Ever since I bought the car I have noticed "excessive" tapping coming from the valve covers. I have done research and found that valve tap is fairly common with these engines so, although slightly paranoid, I have not been concerned enough to get it looked at.

Last fuel up I used 100 octane and the engine drove quiet and much stronger than before. I thought I had nothing to worry about, I drove it hard and the engine performed flawlessly. Yesterday I head back to charlotte, I fuel up with BP 93 and continue on my way. Almost an hr later I arrive home and notice my car making a MUCH louder and painfully obvious tapping almost even a knocking -cringe- I really hope this is not the infamous bearing knock. Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ3kcZaC5PA

Has anyone had a similar noise and what was the fix? I'm hoping its either an exhaust leak, or the valves need adjusting. Does anyone suspect anything more serious? Can I take it to a reputable shop and get them to diagnose the problem or at least get an estimate before they start replacing parts?

I bought the car used, at 63,000 miles. It was in immaculate condition. I changed oil myself at 64000, liqui-moly 10w60. I have added a liter to it since then (2 times, half liter each). I'm slightly concerned about my oil level sensor, it has stayed on "full" for awhile. I added 1/4 of a liter tonight and waited for it to recalibrate and it did not say over-full. I don't want to overfill it so I'm concerned about adding much more.

Any experienced opinions out there are very much appreciated! Please don't tell me to do the bearings unless this is the noise you experienced before yours died. I know I need to do it but I really don't need the added paranoia of inexperienced opinions telling me my engine is about to blow up.

Thanks for reading
    Wesley

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The best S65 "listener" online is M3 Belgium on M3post. Get him to listen to your soundclip.

My Cars
    2008 m3
    Thanks for the response, I have created an account on M3post but now just waiting for mod approval. Is there anyway you could shoot him a message and get him to let me know what he thinks on the youtube comments. Im stressing pretty hard right now. Called Eurowise to set an appointment for Thursday but now I'm wondering if I should just take it to the charlotte BMW dealer (closer to me).

My Cars
    2008 m3
    Took it to eurowise. They changed the oil and the tap has gone away.

That oil only had 3500 miles on it (liquimoly 10-60) when they tested vanos. They said bank 2 was giving funny numbers (where the tap was coming from) and gave me an estimated $5,000 to replace several vanos components and lifters because why not if you're already in there. Off record the guy said he wouldn't recommend doing anything just yet because it wasn't throwing any codes. (I should mention that the sound had significantly decreased by the time I made it to the shop, they recognized it wasn't normal but also it didn't sound near as bad as the vid i posted)

Overall Eurowise in Charlotte was very professional and I will definitely be going back there for any other car troubles I may have.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    You may want to try Mobil 1 0W40 for your next oil change if you're on stock bearings.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    No thx Not a Pixar Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    You may want to try Mobil 1 0W40 for your next oil change if you're on stock bearings.
    Any suggestions for comprehensive read ups on the oil situation? I’ve read so many contradicting things on what to use and when