My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8

Battery issue with a twist

Hello all,

I have a 2007 X5 4.8 with 102,000 miles. I have read through a lot of these threads and am in need of some assistance. I parked my X5 last night after a weekend away and my neighbor told me that my car alarm went off in the middle of the night. I went to go see what was happening int he morning and my X5 was dead, power unlock would not work, no lights on, only a faint blinking on some of the interior instrument panels as I put the keyfob in. I tried to jump start it, and it would only turn over, but not start. No other strange noises noted, When hooked up to the other car, all the electronics worked again. Once disconnected I could not get the car to turn over at all.

About 6 weeks ago I had a similar issue when my X5 randomly would did not start, it would turn over, the interior electrical worked, but it would not start. At that time I also got the AWD and transmission malfunction error message. I had bought a new battery a few days prior as my clock kept resetting and everything I read on here pointed to a dying battery issue. I also would randomly get an increased battery discharge message. So that first time it would not start I simply swapped out the battery and the car started once I put the new battery in. After a short drive all the warnings disappeared and they did not come back until last night. About one or two weeks ago I noticed the clock reset itself again, everything else was still working fine though. Then last night when I could not get my X5 started I got the same error message about the AWD, DSC, DBC, and a "start off assistance inactive" error message. I unhooked the battery and then reconnected it, but that still did not help to start it. I did have my mechanic reprogram for the new battery the day after I swapped out the batteries and have not have any issues starting the car or any electronic issues minus the clock resetting. I did ask my mechanic about the alternator and was told at that time that it checked out OK when he programmed my battery.

I am going to go have the battery checked tomorrow, (bought from Advanced Auto Parts 6 weeks ago).

Any thoughts or input is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Phil

My Cars
    2010 E92 328 X Drv Coupe
    Wish I had the answer, I am in a similar situation. Car overheated now have same errors as you and tried disconnecting battery same as you. Hope someone knows and hope it is not an expensive solution.

My Cars
    2010 E92 328 X Drv Coupe
    So I am still in the same boat, but from what I have found so far, I am thinking it is the alternator. Alternator has voltage regulator. I put a trickle charger on my battery for the night, will check in the morning.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8
    Does your's start right now? I am going to get the battery checked tomorrow and see if a full charge will do anything.

My Cars
    2010 E92 328 X Drv Coupe
    Mine cranks but does not start. Will see how the trickle charger does.

My Cars
    2010 E92 328 X Drv Coupe
    Changed out the battery and registered it. Cranks strong but still not starting. UGH.

My Cars
    2010 E92 328 X Drv Coupe
    Thought I posted this earlier, but guess I didn't

Any progress? I swapped out DME relay's and still nothing. In my research I did see something you might want to try. The Bentley manual has some field observations and one is about not starting. Says that the IBS (Intelligent Battery) can cause a no start. To test, go to the battery and disconnect the IBS. It is a small 3 pin blue connector. Try to start, if it cranks, replace the IBS. Worth a try.

My Cars
    BMW X1-XDRIVE2.8 2012
    Hello Guys, I had some of the same problems happened to me over the last 8 months.... changed the battery in February, then I was fine until July... then I started to see the clock go out, the errors show and disappear.... eventually the car was dead with only the alarm going off when trying to open the car. Brought the car to the dealer and they found that the car at a current leak 4 times the usual amount. They told me that the alarm had a battery that once old, would never charge, thus constantly drawing up current from the main car battery. They changed it, no more leakage... car has been fine for the last two weeks... if that did not do the trick, they would have looked at the radio and all of the other electrical/electric components. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2010 E92 328 X Drv Coupe
    Thanks fourtire - sounds like there can be a lot of gremlins. My car doesn't have the alarm but gets ya thinking. I guess I am too much of an analog type going the harware route before the electron route when troubleshooting...'

Philk028 Any update?

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 4.8
    Hello,

Was away for the last month...

I replaced my battery then and have not had any issues of the car not starting, but my clock still resets and I have continued to get a battery drain warning.

I went to a dealer and had a draw test done which they said was my HUD causing the car to "wake up" intermittently. This problem so far does not have a simple or cheap solution to it.

My Cars
    BMW X1-XDRIVE2.8 2012
    Hi, just an update, I believe I finally have dealt with the last of my electrical problems. My vehicle would intermittently die, no power, nothing..... it turned out it was the positive battery cable that was faulty at the connection behind the fuse box. Cable is 30$..... because my vehicle was dead and that I needed to get towed and all... they needed to screw the bolt underneath the transmission to put the car in neutral, it cost me 800$.... after the fact, a tap on the fuse box would have brought it back to life and I could have changed the cable wiring a couple of hours. Anyhow, if your car dies, might be worth looking at this. This specific cable was part of a recall in 2012 but, of course, my S/N was not part of the vehicle included in it so I had to pay. In the end, the good thing is that I no longer have weird electrical problems and lights flashing in the dash... car runs like new ever since.

My Cars
    BMW X1-XDRIVE2.8 2012
    Hi, turns out I had a letter from BMWin my mailbox in January. My car, E84 2012just got included in a recall covering the positive battery cable replacement.

BMW reimbursed me the full amount last week....

Please take a look again,especially if you bought 2nd band and did not register with BMW.