eBMWParts

Thread: PMD rear arm bushing tool set -- loving it!

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3

PMD rear arm bushing tool set -- loving it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For a while now there hasn't been a press tool set for changing the rear outer control arm bushings on the E36, short of a really expensive BMW master set. As far as I know, anyway.

I have done the job with home-made rigs, and managed to get them changed, but it took hours, and usually destroyed one or two bushings trying to get all 4 installed.

I just found and purchased the set from PMD Products in the link above. Just under $100 shipped. And it does RTABs too, so there's no need to buy or rent the RTAB tool separately. I tried one of the most popular RTAB-specific tools this summer, and I got one RTAB changed before the press plug was too galled to use any more. And that was with tons of anti-seize on the drive rod.

I had one ripped bushing on the upper control arm that I changed this weekend. I had to pull the rotor off and unbolt the dust shield to get clearance, but I did the bushing swap with the whole rear suspension still on the car in about 10 minutes. I am pleased.

Update: This weekend, I used the set to press out and press in rear hub bearings in an E36, and press the drive flange back into place. For the press out, I needed two things in addition to the kit. One was a coupler for 3" PVC pipe. This fits tightly over the bearing carrier on the trailing arm. The second thing was a short piece of iron pipe with a 5/8" hole drilled through it. This is the crossbar to put over the PVC pipe coupler, with the puller rod threaded through it for extraction of the bearing races from the bearing carrier/trailing arm. To get the coupler off the bearing carrier when I was done, I just whacked it a couple times with a sharp chisel and it split right off (in pieces). So with this set, a 30mm socket for the axle nut, and something to pull off the drive flange (I used the slide hammer kit they loan out at Advance Auto), I got the job done in no time.

As far as I know, there isn't another kit out there -- at a tolerable price -- to do the rear bearings. It requires several different size arbors to get the job done without destroying the bearing races, but the kit had them all.
    Last edited by JBasham; 11-27-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.