Thread: Buying another z4

My Cars
    1995 318ic convertible

Buying another z4

I sold my 2006 BMW Z4 to buy a Mercedes sl.after driving a few I found that I really like the z4. I found a 2006 white with red sports interior with the sports pkg and wood interior which I love. The question I have is the car is a 2 owner car with 106000 miles and the dealer is asking 10500.00 I like the car but am afraid of the miles and is this to much money.i checked the vin decoder and the car is light with the sports suspension and sports seats.thanks jimbo

My Cars
    2006 Z4 3.0i
    Hey Jim, Just joined the forum today after getting my Z about week ago. I'd like to chime in on your question.

FWIW, I just got an 06, Z 3.0i with the sport option and wood gain interior as well. It has 108k miles from 3 POs. Mine has the NAV and a 6 dish cd changer, althought the changer is stuck (probably won't use) and the NAV seems really dated by today's options. The car also has bluetooth, address book and dialing but no audio option via bluetooth. I think it isn't supported. Color is Monaco Blue and tan interior, black top. I looked hard to find one with all the goodies, but didn't break the bank, and having the 3.0si wasn't a requirement, nor having a manual, although I love the paddle shifters when I want to use them. I found this gem in NC about 2 hours away. Unfortunately I bought it without a mechanic PPI and am now doing the rear brakes, and DRL light is out, since it won't pass VA inspections. I'm also doing some cosmetic stuff, just not going crazy. I got it for 10,500$ out the door and will put between 500 and 1000$ more into it before I'm statisfied.

I too was nervous about that many miles, but I figure unless the drive train has been severly abusrd, then it soud be good for another 100k and I'll take care of all the maintenance that I can do and an indy shop I know will do the rest.

Hope this helps give you some info on your decision.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Gents the M54 3.0i and N52 3.0si are both very stout motors with very few issues. Google search will uncover items of concern.

For reference I bought my 04 3 litre for 10500 in 2013 with 96k miles on it. It has now been supercharged for 10k miles with zero issues. Blackstone oil tests yearly show zero degradation.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Some of it depends on your location--don't know how Chicago compares to the rest of the US, but it feels to me that here along the front range of Colorado, used cars tend to fetch higher $ than other places. I plugged the info into nada.com (making some assumptions... manual? 3.0i?) and it spit out $11,200. It actually added about a grand to the value considering the mileage, so it's lower than average.

The mileage wouldn't concern me, with the caveat that at 100k, sometimes that's when some stuff starts needing some attention such as suspension and other components. So you should probably set aside $1-2000 as a typical first year budget, depending on how much you'll drive, whether you can do work yourself, etc.

Good luck!