Thread: Running an E46 325xi into the ground on track nights?

My Cars
    95 M3

Running an E46 325xi into the ground on track nights?

Hey guys,

My daily commuter/beater right now is a 2002 325xi, steptronic sport package with 170k miles. As soon as the new Wrangler orders open I'll be ordering one and retiring the E46. I was planning on just trading the car in, even though I won't get much for it. This led me to toy with the idea of using it as a track beater on SCCA track nights just as a practice car to get lap time in. I recently bought a Shelby 350R, which I also plan to track, but obviously I wouldn't have the heart to push that the way I could a cheaper disposable car. Right now the only on-track time I have is on the Nurburgring when I went with my brother for European delivery of his M240i. I'm thinking I could take the 350R to a couple Apex events where I'd have an in-car instructor in a more controlled environment, and take the 325xi to SCCA track nights where I could run with other cars in a car that I could happily walk away from if it was wrecked or hit by another car. Obviously the fact that it's an Xi and automatic precludes me from wanting to turn it into an actual track car, but it's a cheap way to get lap times in. Alternatively I could wait and the money could be spent towards something like a cheaper spec boxster, but the money from the 325xi would still only be a small portion towards that. Furthermore, a prepped car isn't always allowed in events like track nights which are geared towards making tracks accessible to street cars.

About the 325xi, replaced in the past 50k miles:
    cooling system, trans filter and fluid, spark plugs, O2 sensors, beisan vanos kit, oil filter housing gaskets, CV boots, FCABS, H&R sport suspension, pads rotors

Currently needs:
    motor mounts and oil pan gasket

In the past most of the work on the car I did myself, but the oil pan gasket is not something I would want to tackle myself or spend the money on at the moment since for the time being I've just had to add a quart of oil each month.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

My Cars
    95 M3
    Any input? Did I ask something dumb?
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Just speaking for myself, I'm not quite sure what the question is.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Just speaking for myself, I'm not quite sure what the question is.
    Haha I guess I was a bit too long-winded. My question is whether you would keep the old 325xi just to drive into the ground on the track if you knew you may only get a couple thousand for it on a trade-in.

My Cars
    Mulitiple

Running an E46 325xi into the ground on track nights?

Haha! This is so funny I have to respond!
    I'd trade it. An old 325xi with that many miles will last about 3 track events, maybe 2, before something goes kaput and you need to spend money on it. Then have nothing unless you put money into it. Do YOU want to do this?
    I sure as hell would not, on that car.

Oh and DO NOT take that car anywhere near a track with a leaky oil pan gasket. Or any oil leaks for that matter. It is dangerous to the other folks you ara sharing the track with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jhott66; 09-02-2017 at 06:20 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jhott66 View Post
    Haha! This is so funny I have to respond!
    I'd trade it. An old 325xi with that many miles will last about 3 track events, maybe 2, before something goes kaput and you need to spend money on it. Then have nothing unless you put money into it. Do YOU want to do this?
    I sure as hell would not, on that car.

Oh and DO NOT take that car anywhere near a track with a leaky oil pan gasket. Or any oil leaks for that matter. It is dangerous to the other folks you ara sharing the track with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point, I hadn't thought of it as a leak since I hadn't noticed any oil leak from the car. It was just pointed out to me by the shop that did the CV boots that it should be replaced. But point taken. I was hoping I might be able to get 5 nights out of it before something expensive on it goes. Looks like it's getting traded in.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    A quart of oil per month due to a leaky oil pan is NOT a safety problem on track. If you're just starting out on track, a few SCCA track nights won't stress anything other than you and the brakes. But past that, yea, you'll start finding all the things the car that need fixed and upgraded.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Track your gt350r or the supercharged 95m3.