Thread: My recent purchase 116.5k 03 e46 wagon now..a disappointment !

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

My recent purchase 116.5k 03 e46 wagon now..a disappointment !

After chasing down an oil leak, I have discovered a most abused car!

A BMW tech reviewed my car this morning up on the Bendpak lift. Not only is there motor oil leakage, and from several areas including CCV, valve cover, rear engine seal and more, also the transmission seals at all points...badly!

After his complete inspection of the car today he told me that I should have hired him first to inspect before I bought.....I paid $4995 from Euro Brokers in Waltham Massachusetts March 2017.

The car has 2 of the original factory installed Michelins, the other 2 date to 07. the car had 116.5 when I bought it. Michelins go 100k+....

No....and I mean NO maintenance has ever been conducted on this car...ever..except 2 Michelin tires in 14 years!

YES, I am a sucker...didn't consult....I went on faith.

OK...Every service item on this car was never done. I do not think they ever changed oil...but just added. The oil is very dark after my 3k change...Transmission hesitates before engagement, especially at first start in the morning....Rear shocks are bad and there is a mild thump from the front end while driving through a storefront parking lot etc...

For $5 thousand bucks...what do you want sucker?

I got a rust-free, no dent, immaculate interior, e46 wagon.

I bought the rights to pick up and carry out service on this car....Afterall, I didn't have to pay the $38 to $40k this car cost new in 2003!

I guess my rant here is that a pristene example of an e46 wagon with lower milage isn't alway a bargain!.....Is it?...

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    When I got my 2005 BMW 330Ci with 72k miles I payed $90 for a BMW certified mechanic down the street to inspect the vehicle including lifting it. Rear main seal (or oil pan can't tell) had a baby leak but structural condition of car was sound. I didn't check any fluids and they didn't really go over suspension either but I payed $9400 on the car (here in CA). Recently my auto transmission oil cooler went out and almost pooped my transmission. Luckily I was down the street so I quickly turned her off and let her sit for a couple weeks while ordering the part to fix. Point of matter is that for that mileage and price you can't expect everything to be perfect. You did overpay for the car but hey with a couple thousand dollars and some DIY you can get the car running good. Transmission wise IDK about the leaks and seals.. that might be a pain but suspension can be done, (quick and painless with the right tools) valve cover is relatively easy-moderate depending on your skill and patience, idk about CCV :-/ But rear main leak is common and not a point of concern unless it's guzzling out enough to drop a quart every couple thousand miles.. I mean really at that mileage you're only slightly late on most if not all fluids. These are high quality synthetic fluids that can take a beating so I say DIY the suspension, drop the transmission pan (if auto) and put a new filter in, flush/pump transmission fluid (I got it done for $150 at oil change place) and get clean fluid in there and just go from there.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    A CarFax can tell you a lot about how a vehicle was cared for - never buy any used car without seeing one.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I get what what you say....yes! I now understand my ignorance. I share this because others interested in our BMW cars can learn from my ignorance. Leothelion092, I'm not fundimentally as stupid....usually...TRUST seems as after 2017 in the world today!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A carefully done PPI would have revealed all those faults,
    hopefully lesson learned!
    Now you need to invest in DIY time and $$$,
    then you'll have a pristine, low mileage, rust-free, no dent, immaculate interior, e46 wagon, that also runs well!!

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    A carefully done PPI would have revealed all those faults,
    hopefully lesson learned!
    Now you need to invest in DIY time and $$$,
    then you'll have a pristine, low mileage, rust-free, no dent, immaculate interior, e46 wagon, that also runs well!!
    well said.. for the miles and money you need to put in (maybe $1,000-$2,000 plus labor if you don't do it yourself) you're around a good price for that car.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    I get what what you say....yes! I now understand my ignorance. I share this because others interested in our BMW cars can learn from my ignorance. Leothelion092, I'm not fundimentally as stupid....usually...TRUST seems as after 2017 in the world today!
    I don't want you to think that I'm calling you ignorant or a fool for not checking these items, people make mistakes and in your situation it's not as bad as you might think it is. These cars were once $40,000 for BASE models.. a couple thousand dollars in maintenance and repairs is normal for these high end German luxury cars just make sure to do everything by the books and use trusted high quality German parts for repairs and maintenance (don't cheap out) and this car will last you forever

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    A cheap E46 that requires little to no work doesn't exist. Last one I bought was in great condition and still had to dump $3k in parts alone to recondition it.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Remember these very important words pre purchase inspection

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Nothing wrong with cheaping out on the inspection,
    Just realize you have to have your bank account ready for hefty withdrawals!

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    I'm in the middle of CCV change. Kit was $120 at fcpeuro, and I pay shipping for the joy of living in paradise, but I discovered my dipstick tube was completely blocked. That's probably what set the SES light off in the first place.

Hours of fishing around with a bit of wire, a can of brake cleaner, and using my compressor at 100 psi, I can barely blow through the oil return tube. This job is truly a 7 out of 10 as advertised on someone's youtube.

This post, however, is to suggest you strongly consider pricing the job at your preferred indie or two. I was going to, but no matter what they would have said, I'd have done it myself and considered the cost savings accrued to the account of the car, which I got for beans ($500). Now the back of one hand is semi-shredded (lotsa sharp corners down there) but surprisingly my lower back is okay with the work. Sometimes that can be trouble, just lucky I guess.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.