Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First BMW

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Also this DIY for removing the door panels w/sunshades will help you immensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6x6DHVpjHo
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I'm sorry I don't have any pictures thank you for the thread I had a similar thread I was using to attempt fix them but the plastic trim that houses the roll up sunshade is broken into about 4 pieces making it inconvenient at best to attempt to fix. Most of the set up is broken in multiple places.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I fixed the drivers seat twist today and cleaned under the drivers seat as well pulled the clip so the seat goes farther back for me.

I may go through the trouble of pulling the passenger seat because the previous owner was a slob and it's killling me the idea of what it could look like under there.

I used my $14 3m kit from amazon to restore my headlights it actually looks amazing. Until I can afford to facelift my car.

On the plus side my wife is finally starting to like the car she wants it facelifted and wants it red I told her I'm not sure about the red yet.

Waiting on even more parts to get even more done I swear the slowest part of any project is the shipping.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Scared my self very well trying to get inpa up and running to clear my codes and service reminder found 11 codes and attempted to clear.

I then had an error and shut down after that my check engine light was constantly flickering very fast and my car wouldn't crank just click I assumed it was a low battery but just in case disconnected he battery for 30 min then charged it and the car started fine and cleared my codes.

Still can't access my airbag light but I believe my obd to 20 pin adapter may take car of that.

Then decided to swap in my new hvac faceplate bad plan on my part. Apparently whoever designed this decided to ruin my day but requiring each tiny contact on the back of the button be manually moved to the new faceplate needless to say 2 of my buttons don't work and due to frustration I don't care at least it looks better $45 wasted.

Side note: the auto a/c does it require any input from the outside temp sensor because mine is MIA and when set to auto my a/c barely runs.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstbmw528 View Post
    Scared my self very well trying to get inpa up and running to clear my codes and service reminder found 11 codes and attempted to clear.

I then had an error and shut down after that my check engine light was constantly flickering very fast and my car wouldn't crank just click I assumed it was a low battery but just in case disconnected he battery for 30 min then charged it and the car started fine and cleared my codes.

Still can't access my airbag light but I believe my obd to 20 pin adapter may take car of that.

Then decided to swap in my new hvac faceplate bad plan on my part. Apparently whoever designed this decided to ruin my day but requiring each tiny contact on the back of the button be manually moved to the new faceplate needless to say 2 of my buttons don't work and due to frustration I don't care at least it looks better $45 wasted.

Side note: the auto a/c does it require any input from the outside temp sensor because mine is MIA and when set to auto my a/c barely runs.
    Nope, it has nothing to do with the outside temp.

My Cars
    2001 530i/a Sport

For the service lights and codes and airbag light is there something I can download on my laptop and a cord I can buy or do I need to buy a separate scanner?
    Welcome to the family! I have been working on my own 01 530i/a for the last couple of years.

For the first year, I just used ScanTool/OBDWiz for generic codes. But eventually, I did some repairs that triggered the SRS light, so I bought a relatively cheap BMW specific code reader. It works really well, but you can't program anything with it.

And a really good jack helps.

2001 530i Sport
    Alpenweiss III / Black
    ---------------------------------------
    I do so I can understand.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thanks for the answers and suggestions I appreciate it greatly well apparently Mother Nature has decided I need to take a break from my car and now I have to call the insurance and hope they haven't blocked new cars so I can insure this thing. Florida and hurricanes I need to move.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    So I need to check or replace my cooling system with the m52 it has 168k miles I may have to also preemptively replace the alternator any other mileage related preemptive maintenance I should be looking for maybe o2 sensors?

Thanks for the help I have searched and read threads just having a hard time identifying the mileage limits of parts.

My Cars
    2001 530i/a Sport
    My spark plugs and power modules were shot when I got my 2001 530iA with 95k miles on it.

I am at 123,000 now, and I had to replace virtually everything that conducts or seals in vacuum.

My suspension is about to get a total refresh, and has needed that for at least 15,000 miles. Have you looked at your suspension?

2001 530i Sport
    Alpenweiss III / Black
    ---------------------------------------
    I do so I can understand.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I have looked it's had tie rods but they never sealed the boots so the tie rods are full of dirt. Pretty much all the rubber boots on all suspension pieces are bad so that's a project for some point but from what I can tell no looseness or squeaks knock on wood I'll have the alignment checked when I get tires.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Hi, your AC wont work until you replace or figure out why the ambient temp sensor isn't working. Dash says -40, that means something is wrong. its under front bumper, Passenger side, 1.5 inch small plastic rod with pigtail connected to it. Good luck! PM me if you have a question no one answers

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thanks someone else told me my ambient temp sensor wouldn't effect my auto a/c I'm fairly certain it's currently gone because I have an empty pig tail near the passenger wheel well and part of the wheel well is missing

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Thanks someone else told me my ambient temp sensor wouldn't effect my auto a/c I'm fairly certain it's currently gone because I have an empty pig tail near the passenger wheel well and part of the wheel well is missing
    I read thst above aswell. In my experience, it needs to fuction for ac. Just found that out on my parent's car last week. There are also many threads on it.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thanks for the heads up I ordered one. I'm getting quite the stock pile of parts for when the hurricane is over

My Cars
    SpecE46, '98 540i Ind
    Find a good "u-pull" type junk yard that is close to you. You'll be amazed at what great parts at cheap prices you can find to help restore your 19 year old vehicle.
    Brian

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Yea I've been meaning to hit the u pull just haven't had time I plan to go for my less important parts.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Congrats I just picked up my dad's 00' 528i (sport package, 180k, Oxford Green?). Really good condition for its age, just has some electrical gremlins stemming from speed sensors from what I've read (although this AM the three finger salute was gone and my cruise control was functional again, prob will be back on by lunch).

Welcome to BMW ownership, I am really impressed by this car considering its age and glad I held off buying something newer... This will help me put a dent in my student loans.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Yea I should be preparing to pay my student loans as well feels like I'm drowning in them this car was my transition back to the world of no car payment for my little family so I can pay off those loans and save to buy a house so hopefully this BMW will be a long term welcome addition I person feel like I got a steal on the car for only 1200. For some reason in Florida used car prices are super inflated.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Today I did he ignition switch to troubleshoot electrical gremlins and the fuel door actuator I thought twice during that about burning the car up.

The trunk shocks and the window regulator so far the fuel door actuator was the worst job I've done yet on the e39.

Every door and the fuel door locks now with the key and the key fob much to my frustration the interior lock button is still non responsive.

So central locking is still a bear need to seal the vapor barriers and put the door panels back on.

Next up will be tackling the engine and trans hopefully since I'm mainly done in the interior.

Unfortunately the leather still hasn't made the comeback I want so I'll have to keep working on that.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Took off the intake sure enough the cvv hose has a gaping hole I replaced that. Bought all new vacuum lines bit the bullet and ordered the entire coolant overhaul including radiator from fcp euro.

Managed to destroy one of the idle air I think it is hosed so ordered that and ordered the secondary air pump hoses.

Still fighting with my central lock my alarm seems to be non functional clown nose never lights no siren etc.

Just nickle and diming my budget to death I've paid a mortgage payment to fcp euro this month and always manage to miss parts

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Drained all fluid and have replacement semi correct BMW approved fluids. Built my new hose that is no longer made or sold. Changed the fuel filter which was surprisingly frustrating.

Took out the eBay HID kit and replaced the headlight plugs the PO cut off and sourced factory replacement osram h7 from fcp euro.

Resealed the oil filter housing and recleaned the engine Bay the lazy man way so I can watch for leaks

Prayed vigorously that the power steering fluid all over my rack and in the boots was from the power steering tank.

Finished putting the interior back together and slowly changing the bulbs to LED.

Day dreaming about the stereo set up I will put in this car when I'm employed again I may do an avin head unit.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Went by the scrap yard spent money I shouldn't have buying new style 82 wheels and a new to me hood. came home and put the hood on and cleaned the wheels which is when I discovered my windshield washer piping is essentially dust. changed out the hood emblem and broke it same with the bum trunk emblem ordered new trunk hood and wheel emblems as well as emblem tape. started planning my hopefully eventual stereo install which may be sidetracked from my leaky rack and likely bad suspension.
    1998 BMW 528i My First Build

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Went by the scrap yard spent money I shouldn't have buying new style 82 wheels and a new to me hood. came home and put the hood on and cleaned the wheels which is when I discovered my windshield washer piping is essentially dust. changed out the hood emblem and broke it same with the bum trunk emblem ordered new trunk hood and wheel emblems as well as emblem tape. started planning my hopefully eventual stereo install which may be sidetracked from my leaky rack and likely bad suspension.
    I always focus on mechanical problems first. I laugh at pretty cars broke down on the side of the highway. Maintenance first. Bet that rack is going to cost a pretty penny. If you can get Detroit Axle on Ebay to rebuild one for you it wont be so bad.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I wouldn't bother spending any money on a stereo until the car is healthy.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Yea Detroit axle is also on Amazon where I usually buy parts and offering their "Lifetime Warranty" for $204 for the rack which is chump change compared to the cooling refresh I did and the prices I've seen elsewhere for racks for these cars. Honestly, I only went and got wheels because I had to buy tires before the car could be driven and I hated the style 29's and couldn't afford pretty much any other wheel I could find. But then the skies opened up and a BMW with style 5's appeared at the junkyard but because I am exceedingly lucky it was stripped by the time I got there.

The hood was just so I didn't make another trip considering the u pull is almost 50 miles away plus it happened to be the same color as my car and I think was only like $40 dollars.

I'm still praying that I am wrong about the rack because I'm honestly a bit too lazy to lift the engine and change the rack but I will if I have to.

I am hoping to have the car out and driving by the middle of next week but my job search is cutting into that time and of course my 7 month old is beyond distracting you sit down and play with her next thing you know you've missed a whole sunny day on the car.

- - - Updated - - -

That is sage advice and exactly what I do but I like to daydream and window shop sometimes when its too late to work on the car so that's how I planned it out as well when I find my next job it will likely be a 40-50 mile commute each way so the stereo won't be long behind when the vehicle is mechanically sound.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I discovered where my extra wire and hose belong and bought the 11mm socket I lost in the engine bay got sidetracked by several job turn downs.

I also had my rims mounted with new tires at pep boys and they said one is supposedly bent so I'm trying to figure next steps for that now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast