Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First BMW

My Cars
    1998 528i

First BMW

Hello all my wife and I recently purchased our first BMW. It is a 03/1998 528i with 168k miles. It's a little beat up and requires some little things but I got it for what I think is a steal. I hope to be able to learn from the forum I've been lurking for a few days and have some fun vacuum lines to tackle to try and rid a misfire.

I've seen people talking about computer systems and resetting computers and these tools available how would I access them to use my laptop with the computer in the car?

I've read through the FAQ but not all things make sense to me yet the world of BMW seems quite overwhelming with all the acronyms etc.

Hoping I prove my wife wrong and she falls in love with the BMW more than the mustang she wanted.
    Last edited by Firstbmw528; 08-31-2017 at 08:17 PM.

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum.
    Post some more specific questions and I'm sure many of us can help you out.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Welcome to the forums and world of E39!

We LOVE to know the actual codes around here but I'll take a shot in the dark. Could be coils, ICV (you do have one of those iirc), CCV, TCG's...shoot, maybe I should just wait for the codes.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Misfiring on a neglected i6, check for cracks in the intake baffles. They're the two pieces right after the maf sensor, going into the intake manifold. The cracks will be in the baffled areas, best way is to remove them and inspect. Welcome to the forum.
    I once bought a really clean 528 that was misfiring, got the car dirt cheap, these intake baffles were the culprit, About $25 each and the car ran like a champ afterwards.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 08-23-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thanks for the replies and welcome and I actually answered one of my own questions checking out the more general forums and stumbled on instructions for DIS/GT1 that seems to be a for sure future project.

As I tear into the car I know I will have more questions though I like to think of myself as fairly competent with quite a few American cars under my belt this is a whole new beast.

The previous owner didn't tell me the code but said it was diag by an Indy and supposedly needed specific vacuums he included in the sale so I will keep my eye out for those other issues but I am hoping the person who told
    Him that was right so I'm not chasing a misfire that's almost as frustrating as wiring demons

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstbmw528 View Post
    Hello all my wife and I recently purchased our first BMW. It is a 03/1998 528i with 136k miles. It's a little beat up and requires some little things but I got it for what I think is a steal. I hope to be able to learn from the forum I've been lurking for a few days and have some fun vacuum lines to tackle to try and rid a misfire.

I've seen people talking about computer systems and resetting computers and these tools available how would I access them to use my laptop with the computer in the car?

I've read through the FAQ but not all things make sense to me yet the world of BMW seems quite overwhelming with all the acronyms etc.

Hoping I prove my wife wrong and she falls in love with the BMW more than the mustang she wanted.
    We do have lots of acronyms. You'll catch on. Welcome! I may be parting out a car soon so feel free to pm with me with any odds/ends you may want.

2003 BMW 540i M-Sport: 6-speed swap, BC Racing Coilovers, DUDMD Tune, M60 Intake Manifold, Custom Exhaust, Polished M-Pars,
    Technical Graphite Trim w/ cupholder delete, E46 M3 tri-color stitched steering wheel,
    Dyno'd @ 253whp/291wtq (dynojet) before intake manifold swap

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Welcome to the forums and the BMW world.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thanks for letting me know you're parting out once I take inventory of what I need and get back to work I will for sure reach out.

I'm hoping to get a handle on the acronyms rather quickly it seems like I may have lucked out from getting an m52 because I don't have to deal with double vanos and the potential for future forced induction if one day I want to go that route.

Unfortunately my wife and I are unemployed and transitioning career fields at the moment so I am short on time and money.

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    Welcome! Your first BMW is a good one.

Got any pics?

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Not currently I'll probably try and swing some pictures tomorrow if I'm not sick again when I hopefully fix my sunroof. This forum has been very helpful with suggestions on how to fix it through search so thanks y'all

My Cars
    1998 528i
    So I finally got the sunroof closed turns out it was the pop up windscreen or whatever that part is I taped it down and held the button until it closed and found a how to on the internet about bending it a specific way to fix the issue entirely. Unfortunately I've been sick a lot this month and working on an 83 cutlass and my 4th degree so she isn't getting her proper time but hopefully I'll have pics up soon just cut me some slack I got her below blue book because she was rode hard and put up wet.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Decoded the vin for my BMW anything interesting?

Last edited by Firstbmw528; 08-26-2017 at 12:25 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Hello all my wife and I recently purchased our first BMW. It is a 03/1998 528i with 136k miles. It's a little beat up and requires some little things but I got it for what I think is a steal. I hope to be able to learn from the forum I've been lurking for a few days and have some fun vacuum lines to tackle to try and rid a misfire.

Look here and here for information on how to get the actual BMW software running on Windows 10. Otherwise, for a quick take-off, get TORQUE PRO for your smartphone and a bluetooth OBD II device to start. It will let you read basic Engine parameters and standard OBD error codes.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thank you for the heads up on torque pro and the links I greatly appreciate the information I'm loving this big new world of BMW but even after reading the FAQs I am at a loss there is just so much difference from domestic.

- - - Updated - - -

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices

Would this scan tool work with torque pro or is there a thread for information I can refer to?

My Cars
    1998 528i

Adding pictures

Finally have pictures of my new to me 528 I forgot to take some before I cleaned a bit.

She was very dirty I still have to get leather cleaner since my steaming plan didn't work out.

My dash looks like a christmas tree looks like I have my work cut out.

On a cool side note my passenger seat has a first aid kit mounted to the front I have a German service schedule in the glovebox and I think a complete roadside kit with German roadside number.

how to upload photos online

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Your engine cover is missing.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Yes that's in the trunk with quite a bit of other parts.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Link to some common BMW acronyms: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-abbreviations

Below is a topological chart of the communication bus which may help with connecting their acronyms to where they are located and do (you have a 528i...so that means you have the low cluster/KOMBI bus...so I'll forego posting the high cluster and the I/K/M/P/CAN/Diagnostic bus:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Wow cool thank you very much.

I found the links in the FAQ.

I always try to read everything I can prior to posting but that abbreviation list was too intense for one sitting.

It felt a bit like reading the dictionary.

That diagram is pure gold though makes putting a face to the name much easier.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    So I've worked on the BMW every day for a few hours while my daughter naps and I have managed to clean and condition the leather and clean the rest of the interior.

I have fixed my trunk latch and kind of fixed my hood latch.

Ordered more parts than I should have that I am waiting on.

Rounded two lug bolts because someone tightened them with an impact and no torque sticks.

Checked brakes and suspension for safety purposes found some sort of generic pad with a lot of life left and rotors that seem to be in great shape.

The suspension seems tight but discovered both my rack boots are destroyed and the tie rod sockets seem to be dry and caked with old dirt.

Worse the rack itself is covered in power steering fluid so I will need to clean it to find out if it is residual fluid or a second leak.

Also discovered I misread the odometer it has 168k.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    I discovered an oil leak today I'll have to clean it and find the source.

Side note about that do I have to drop the cross memeber to drop the oil pan?

The suspension bushings look tight but worn some boots are ripped it looks better than expected for the mileage.

The shocks look very old but have no signs of leaking will do a bounce test tomorrow.

Tires are dry rotted bad and somehow have survived over 7 years in the Florida sun so they will be replaced before daily driving.

The drivers side seat twist but thanks to the wealth of knowledge here I know how to fix it.

Have cup holders, new halogen light bulbs, headlight restoration, and a couple parts from fcpeuro on the way.

Previous owner never changed the oil on conventional and drove exclusively with regularly gas so hopefully everything is ok there.

I plan an oil change 300 miles then seafoam in the oil for another change and seafoam in the gas tank to try and clean things up.

Will probably manually Flush brakes, cooling and trans with correct fluids.

For the service lights and codes and airbag light is there something I can download on my laptop and a cord I can buy or do I need to buy a separate scanner?

My Cars
    1998 528i
    So the drivers seat twist fix is more of a pain then I expected once again there is definitely a difference between domestic and euro vehicles.

Still waiting on parts seems to be a constant battle.

The drivers rear window regulator is non functional so I had to order a new one.

I broke and ruined my sunshades trying to fix them so hopefully I can figure an alternative for the trim so it doesn't look so bad.

My central locking system is non working so I am working on troubleshooting that I know the fuel door actualtor is bad as soon as I plugged it back in my keyless entry stopped working.

I had a weak actuator on the passenger side for power door locks waiting on parts.

Still on a mission to resurrect my leather and I'm not sure it's working but hopefully soon.

Sorry my build thread is very disorganized and has no pictures I plan to take pictures eventually

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    So the drivers seat twist fix is more of a pain then I expected once again there is definitely a difference between domestic and euro vehicles.

Still waiting on parts seems to be a constant battle.

The drivers rear window regulator is non functional so I had to order a new one.

I broke and ruined my sunshades trying to fix them so hopefully I can figure an alternative for the trim so it doesn't look so bad.

My central locking system is non working so I am working on troubleshooting that I know the fuel door actualtor is bad as soon as I plugged it back in my keyless entry stopped working.

I had a weak actuator on the passenger side for power door locks waiting on parts.

Still on a mission to resurrect my leather and I'm not sure it's working but hopefully soon.

Sorry my build thread is very disorganized and has no pictures I plan to take pictures eventually
    What did you do the rear sunshades? broke the retractor so it's all slack now?

My Cars
    1998 528i
    No the retractor was broken when I bought the car I broke the trim piece trying to fix the retractor then broke the larger door sunshade mounting piece this old plastic is fragile.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I can' figure what parts you are talking about Please post pics. When I bought my M5 one of the rear door shades was broken and I used this DIY to fix it.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...shade-fix.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast