Thread: Vanos Solenoid and hose part number question

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i Sedan

Question Vanos Solenoid and hose part number question

My drive shaft parts, CSB, Flex Joint, Tranny Mounts, were installed today and I still have the vibration at 38-43 mph, low rpm. There is also a bit of a vibration in the steering wheel at idle (that I never thought much of until it was pointed out to me). The new recommendation is to replace the engine mounts. The transmission mounts were crushed in only one direction, which according to my mechanic, seems to indicate engine mounts. Also, the CSB was nearly ripped in half and the flex joint was showing extreme wear. All is not lost. These needed attention. Pictures below.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, my lovely Jelly Bean has sprung some leaks! She has an oil leak at the vanos solenoid/exhaust side and vanos oil line, as well as a coolant leak at the cold water hose on the expansion tank. I plan to replace the tank too.

For the life of me, I cannot identify the part for the cold water hose. I looked a the diagram on realoem.com, it confused me... Will someone please help a sister out?

Getting back to the Vanos Solenoid, I was wondering if I can get away with replacing the O-Ring and piston for now, instead of buying the whole enchilada. There are only so many repairs in a month's time that my single budget can support. After watching nearly every Youtube video out there, I am pretty confident that I can tackle them myself.

It feels like I am chasing wildfires. There is a ton of other routine maintenance that I need to do but these leaks and hunting down the vibration are taking all of my time and cash.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.IMG_1043.jpgIMG_1039.jpgIMG_1040.jpgIMG_1041.jpg
    Last edited by BamaBMWgirl; 08-23-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Proud owner of a haunted, 92 year old Craftsman Bungalow.

Fastest Caulk Gun Slinger in the south (November-February).

I'm not brilliant or beautiful ...but I'm handy.

My Cars
    2001 330i and 2005 330i
    Here is a link for the water hose. Make sure the specs match your ride: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2200
    It's part #5. I suggest replacing the cooling parts has priority over an oil leak, however, the leak by the exhaust is prolly the valve cover gasket. If tour VANOS is original, it's worth replacing the seals.
    Bad motor mounts show up with the hood open and goosing the throttle. You can see the motor dancing. If they're over 100K, you should replace them. They have a cascade effect on the other driveline parts as you've seen in the guibo.
    Johnny Murray

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i Sedan
    Thank you for the reply and link. That is the same diagram I was looking at and it does not show any hoses that connect to the expansion tank. I called FCPEuro and they also suggested part #5 - 11531436410, the return hose, but the diagram shows that hose connecting to the radiator (perhaps I am seeing it wrong). I will call my mechanic this morning to clarify but the hose is on order with FCP along with the expansion tank. If the hose is wrong, I can return it easily.

On to the oil leak, the valve cover gasket was done last year. I have looked and oil is coming out of the vanos solenoid on the lower left. Over the weekend I also ordered the vanos solenoid, o-rings, and piston as well as the vanos oil line. Then I will definitely move on to engine mounts. I think I can manage most of these repairs myself, but may let my mechanic do the water hose and expansion tank since the coolant system is so vital and to be sure I don't screw it up. I am sure the engine mounts are going to be a blast...LOL Time to buy a floor jack. Any advice for a woman tackling this alone?

To add insult to injury, the car started throwing O2 sensor codes on Saturday. Oy Veh! This thing is disintegrating at 110k miles! I appreciate the help!
    Proud owner of a haunted, 92 year old Craftsman Bungalow.

Fastest Caulk Gun Slinger in the south (November-February).

I'm not brilliant or beautiful ...but I'm handy.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Re the VANOS leak... not sure what you mean by "lower left" but it may be that the banjo fitting on the oil line is leaking, this happened to a pal's 528i. The banjo fitting should be firmly set to the hose and not swivel or wobble. We replaced the gasket on the oil filter assembly, another "known" problem, but his oil leak was the oil line banjo fitting.

OTOH your leak may be obviously what you say, in which case disregard this suggestion.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Always willing to help a lady in distress, though I'm not sure of your VIN# specs,
    but this diagram seems to contain the hose that attaches to your expansion tank,
    Hose#4 here:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_0890