RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Any super secret pro tips for changing the N52 water pump?

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i

Any super secret pro tips for changing the N52 water pump?

Going to do a preemptive change of the water pump and thermostat on my 128i tomorrow. I've got new OE parts including the single-use bolts, the Bentley manual (E9x, but close enough), and I've watched a couple videos, so I've got a pretty good idea what I'm dealing with. For those who have done this a million times, are there any little tricks that save time or knuckles, or things to look out for beyond the basics?

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Get ready to get a blue shower!

Bavauto has a very nice video on replacing those two items: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-BpUzAemyQ Part 2 will be next in the line-up.

The best advice I can give would be have plenty of time, like an hour or two for this. On the bright side, bleeding is a breeze!
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Well, it's done. Took more time than it should have, but then it's my first time under that car, and first time working on an N5x-series engine, so I don't feel too inept. The engineer who decided on the placement of the upper water pump mounting bolt is now on my own personal enemies list. That one bolt cost me quite a bit of time, including accidentally loosening the lower A/C compressor bolt (working on my back, by feel, trying to avoid getting too much coolant in my facial orifices, does not always end well). In any case, it's back together, bled, and test-driven with no leaks or overheating, so I'm hoping I don't need to curse that particular engineer's existence again for quite a while.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Wow, sorry I missed the thread 'til now. Not that I would have been any help; the job is a beech. A wet nasty beech.

And Darin's OBVIOUSLY much better than I am at this....it takes me HOURS OF CURSING!

(Oh, a swivel 1/4" drive E-torx is my tool for those bolts)
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 08-24-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Wow, sorry I missed the thread 'til now. Not that I would have been any help; the job is a beech. A wet nasty beech.

And Darin's OBVIOUSLY much better than I am at this....it takes me HOURS OF CURSING!

(Oh, a swivel 1/4" drive E-torx is my tool for those bolts)
    Yeah, I found the experience quite unpleasant. Not IRS tax audit or TSA cavity search unpleasant, mind you, but not anything I'm looking forward to repeating.

I used a 3/8" with a universal and some extensions. It was sub-optimal. Hard to find an E12 in 1/4" drive. Those clip-on hose connections were not exactly conveniently arranged either. At least reassembly was relatively painless, and the auto-bleed procedure is handy.

EDIT: Just discovered that a ratcheting box end E-torx set (covers E6-E24) exists - I'm not sure if it would have helped with this job, but it seems like something I might need to have around.
    Last edited by 02Pilot; 08-24-2017 at 09:54 PM.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    To take advantage of your thread: E12 and E10 are available in 1/4" drive, and also 1/4" drive universal (swivel) from the tool trucks: SnapOn, Mac, and Matco.

I consider these indispensable. For example, the N52 oil filter housing gasket: the book says 3+ hours, with these sockets, takes me an hour. With your new prize, my friend, you want these.

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...CESS-STAR-SKT/

Doesn't it suck, though? $35 for one damned 1/4" drive socket ??? It sucks, until the second time you need it....then it's a crazy good bargain..... (I forget if the OFHG is E10 or E12, I have both in 1/4 drive universal) You also want ratcheting ring-end torx wrenches.

If you do the OFHG:
    Do the heat exchanger gasket, if you have this on the same housing.
    Do NOT unbolt the water hose that goes to the center of the head, unless you have one in hand. It does not survive removal. For removing the OFHG without removing this hose, you need the ratcheting ring-end wrench.

How's that serp-belt tensioner pulley? Belt fully on the pulley?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Geez, that's one expensive swivel socket. But as you say, price is relative to value, and for anyone working on these with any regularity, it seems a valuable tool to have. The box ends are easier and cheaper - I'll add those to the list as well. I really wish this Torx stuff was never dreamed up and built. I'm sure there are advantages, but it's more and more refreshing to work on my 2002 every time I do it.

Chris, I did the tensioner, idler pulley, and belt preemptively a week or two ago. The old stuff seemed fine - I suspect it may have been replaced at some point, but with no record of it, I decided to start my ownership with new parts. That, air and cabin filters, the water pump and thermostat, and brakes all around have been taken care of. Ideally I'll get the transmission and diff oils changed soon, but other than that I think I've got the maintenance up to date.

-John Wayne

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    And now, my friend, you have one of only three 1 series cars that's truly being well maintained!

Tools are an awful, and a wonderful, part of doing this for a living. From reading the news, I see that there are many people in the Country who are addicted to opiates. That's only because they haven't found the Tool addiction.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    And now, my friend, you have one of only three 1 series cars that's truly being well maintained!

Tools are an awful, and a wonderful, part of doing this for a living. From reading the news, I see that there are many people in the Country who are addicted to opiates. That's only because they haven't found the Tool addiction.
    Tool addiction is more insidious and probably more expensive.

In fairness, the previous owners of my little 128i seem to have been quite diligent about maintenance as well, as the folder of dealer receipts that came with it will attest, so I didn't have to do much to get it up to speed. It's an astonishingly clean car for its age and mileage, moreso considering the price I paid. I showed it to a friend who's a sales manager at a Land Rover/Jaguar dealership and knows his used car values - his assessment was simply: "you didn't buy this car, you stole it."

Of course that just means I have more money available for tools....

-John Wayne