Thread: 2011 335d

2011 335d

I own several BMW's curently but have never owned a diesel and never had a 3-series without a 6 speed. I am looking at a 335d with all packages and low mileage. Please comment on the diesel engines and any improvements from remap that may be possible after purchase. Thanks.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    General consensus is that the BMW diesels are very problematic. Much like the 335i, the 335d is prone to carbon build up, but the convoluted intake ports cannot be easily walnut blasted like the gasoline counterparts. The automatic transmissions on the diesels are also problematic. Carbon build up in the engine can require removal of the head for cleaning.
    The diesels can be made very fast with emissions deletes, but there's a lot of cost with that. The only way the diesel makes sense is if you just have to have the diesel, and you don't mind the associated hassles and expense.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    General consensus is that the BMW diesels are very problematic. Much like the 335i, the 335d is prone to carbon build up, but the convoluted intake ports cannot be easily walnut blasted like the gasoline counterparts. The automatic transmissions on the diesels are also problematic. Carbon build up in the engine can require removal of the head for cleaning.
    The diesels can be made very fast with emissions deletes, but there's a lot of cost with that. The only way the diesel makes sense is if you just have to have the diesel, and you don't mind the associated hassles and expense.
    Sorry, but those statements are almost completely unsupported, don't think you've been tracking them closely enough.

1) The engines and transmissions are bulletproof. The 6HP26 transmission is much stronger than the 6HP19 in the 335i, and I've only seen a couple that have failed - and I monitor at least 4 forums.
    2) While CBU is a problem, you don't have to remove the head for cleaning. You have to remove the INTAKE and soak it. The total process is about $1200, only a bit more than the N54/N55 cost. BMW made special wands for walnut blasting the ports.
    3) The emissions systems have been quite problematic; however BMW has extended the warranty to 10/120K on both the NOx sensors and the DEF tank (similar to the extension on the 335i's HPFP and wastegates.)

My Cars
    2001 525it
    They have way more systems than even a turbo engine, they are a problem, don't buy one

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post

Sorry, but those statements are almost completely unsupported, don't think you've been tracking them closely enough.

The engines and transmissions are bulletproof. The 6HP26 transmission is much stronger than the 6HP19 in the 335i, and I've only seen a couple that have failed - and I monitor at least 4 forums.
    Hondas and Toyotas are bulletproof. I would hardly consider the 335d engine and transmission bulletproof. Sure, you don't hear about many people losing engines or transmissions, but they are still problematic. The 6HP26 has a higher torque rating, but there are numerous complaints about annoying shifting behavior that must be repeatedly chased off with resets. The engines have issues with emissions, fuel injectors ($600 each), carbon build up, swirl flaps, sensors, etc. The complicated nature of the engine leads to repairs that are both extensive and expensive.
    I can certainly see the appeal of the diesel, I looked at them before getting another 335i. The fuel economy is pretty great, and they make loads of torque. I just don't see the diesel offering enough benefits to offset the problems.

My Cars
    There's a similar discussion in another thread. I would highly advise against a BMW diesel.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

Thank you all for the helpful input and varied opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 335d M sport
    335d 2011 zero problems.

My Cars
    335d
    335d 2011 zero problems? I think not. I own one, it's in the shop now: DeNOx. Just 206 miles after having the DEF tank, SCR active tank, and sensor replaced under warranty. Love the car, but knowing what I know now, I would not have purchased my EXTENDED warranty and would have just installed downpipe w/delete, intake cooler and exhaust, total cost $1,200, labor I could handle. Btw, car in shop for 1 week and they have no idea! Even though I told them the trouble code and was willing to email them a report. Was shocked that I have a report, I told them every time the engine light comes on 4 hours later I receive an email w/code(s) and such. I miss my ride!!!

My Cars
    2012 x5 35d
    I can relate to diesel intake buildup, does anyone know is there any walnut blasting service here in MA

My Cars
    2012 x5 35d

2011 335d and X5 35d average maintenance cost

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMan1 View Post
    I can relate to diesel intake buildup, does anyone know is there any walnut blasting service here in MA
    For anyone interested in buying one, it really depends on how well it was maintained. For car that was taken care of, it will not be any more expensive than gas counterpart. I had, I can say many BMW's (7), including the ones I currently have. Both of these are diesel. If you ever tried driving diesel and it doesn't impress you, don't buy it, but I have to say, torque is brutal and I experienced that same feeling only in Tesla. Again, if you try it and you don't get hooked, don't buy it. You will need to clean the intake probably only once while you own it. My wifes' X5 diesel has only 37grams of ash and 152k. It was never cleaned and I don't think we will ever need to.
    As for the walnut blasting the intake, I did it myself. Results are great, parts are like new and I did notice the difference in pull.

Cheers

My Cars
    2018 X5 35d, 2011 335d
    I was in the process of walnut blasting my 2011 335d, but the crankshaft would not turn after I had finished 4 of the 6 cylinders. It was like it hit a hard stop. I pulled the four injectors to check if walnut media got in any cylinder, but none was there. Any clues what else it could be?

Thanks,

Eric