Thread: Heavy steering on 525iT

My Cars
    '03 525iAT

Heavy steering on 525iT

Searching any threads RE power steering issues, I've only come up with issues related to the V8 cars. I know I have a different steering system with my M54 2.5.

Hoses have always leaked a little from the get go one year ago. Yes, it's wet under there, but I've never had an issue until today (Sport Package, by the way). Fluid stays up, but the steering is intermittently stiff then normal. Guessing I need a pump.

181,000km on the car. What's the likelihood that I need something more than a pump, say, a steering box ??!!

Any recommended brands for the pump ?

Thanks all.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - before spending money on a new power steering pump, I would suggest pulling the codes and getting them read. This will give you a definitive answer as to exactly what needs replacing. It may be the reservoir that holds the fluid and started failing. If you do need a new pump, took a look at the link below. You do not need to get the Genuine BMW part, the OEM replacement will work out fine. I'm also attaching a link to our site's DIY tech article on the replacement procedure. Other members may chime in as well. Please let us know if you have any questions and best of luck!

Power Steering Pump

BMW E39 Power Steering Reservoir Removal

BMW E39 Power Steering Pump Removal
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Try a transmission sealer/conditioner additive first...I know, BLASPHEMY!!

All I know is that the '00's power steering pump was leaking and starting to whine so I figured WTH, pulled most of the old fluid out, added fresh fluid and an additive to the reservoir. The leak is WAY better and the whine is completely gone. Even the wife noticed...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Thanks guys. Pelican, yes I looked a the DIY, but I'm not in the mood to get under there these days. Read all I could about cleaning the reservoir, etc. I thought of pulling the pump off the parts car, but then I'd have a pump with 270,000km on it. Probably not a good idea.We'll see what the shop says.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    I'll second the conditioner. It's the rack. Seal sweller might get you more time before the inevitable.(rack replacement)

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah. In addition or prior to the conditioner suggestions.... Flush the system repeatedly, (ex: full drain and fill and repeat, then drive for week, then repeat) and use high quality synthetic ATFs. M1 or Redline etc. They contain all kinda good magic juices and with repeated flushing can recover remarkably bad running systems if they haven't been flushed/changed before. Ive had great success w that approach not just in BMW but other cars as well.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    GG has the correct procedure. I'm soooo f'in lazy...all I did was pull out enough to get some fresh atf (Redline) and additive in there. Luckily it worked for me...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Okay. Thanks guys for all the input. "Damn it" if it's the rack. I will see what the shop says first. I've got a bunch of leaky hoses down there though, yet, as I said, the fluid level never drops. Colour is starting to get brownish.

I read all the threads about cleaning the reservoir. So wash, rinse, repeat. Okay. Let's se how tomorrow goes.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep. Pump should have a drain plug on it for doing the flushes proper, although I'm not sure about the I6's. I do know there were a few wrong/dumbass threads out there for the V8's saying to unbolt lines to drain the fluid, when there is a perfectly usable designed-for-it drain plug on the bottom of the pump.

BTW I left out that I now also usually install these in the PS return line on my cars:
    http://www.magnefinefilters.com/NEW-...-P-3810000.htm

Check hose size, I can't remember what the BMW takes. Those same filters are available under a number of brand names, NAPA even has them house-branded I think... doesn't matter as long as its the fine-filter w/ magnets dealiio. The metal housings are new, I have the old plastic housing ones which seem to work great but the new ones are interesting...

To add a little detail to last nights post... my procedure on this is normally...
    1. drain fluid, turn wheel back/forth gently to get as much out as possible
    2. refill with clean
    3. run motor for a few minutes, turn wheel back and forth, drain again
    4. install magnefine filter in return line & refill
    5. run car for few days/week/whatever
    6. drain and refill again

That recipe - using fancy synth ATF or PS - has recovered several acting-up PS systems that were diagnosed by mechanics as "needs new pump/rack/whatever $$$$".

One of those cars is my 540 which is now silent and perfect for years, the other is my old Audi which has put even more years and years and 10's of K's of miles on the same pump/rack since then and still rolling around happily.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    So much for flushing the system. Looks like it's the shaft u joint, like it's been hit by something. Back ordered 30 days from Germany !!I guess God is telling me to ride my motorcycle more often.

My Cars
    2003 525iT, 2008 328xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    So much for flushing the system. Looks like it's the shaft u joint, like it's been hit by something. Back ordered 30 days from Germany !!I guess God is telling me to ride my motorcycle more often.
    Maybe check one of your local pick a part places. if you can find a car with low mileage (<100k) it might be much less expensive and much quicker for one that works.

I have to clean that joint every year in the spring from crap getting it all messed up from New England roads during the winter weather. WD40 works wonders on it I turn one side up spray it so the WD40 can sit in it and soak in, let sit for about 30 minutes then turn 1/4 turn spray it up let it sit for about 15 minutes, do this until it frees up. Usually takes doing it 2 times to clear it.
    2003 525iT Automatic, Topas Blue Exterior, Gray Leather Interior, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, M 3 spoke Steering Wheel.
    2008 328xi E91 (wagon) Automatic, Barberatot Metallic Exterior, Terracotta Leather Interior.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    I see that when I Google that part # (32 316 753 800), I get hits for a few dealers as well, in addition to ECS and fceuro.Thinking that I should call these dealers first to see if they want to "part" with that part for less then what they listed, considering it's probably a very slow mover. Only thing is, they'd have to be willing to ship (cost to me), and overall, they'd have to beat ECS pricing BECAUSE of their free shipping.Maybe just go ECS all the way and get everything in one box !! I need hoses too.We'll have a look at the car Monday morning at the shop to confirm the damage to the u joint.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    90% chance A dealer dont HAVE the part. Esp a non common part like that. They order it from the regional wholesaling dealer.

And they aren't generally in the biz of matching lowest online prices either.

I mean you can give it a shot but I'm guessing they'll say uh sure yeah , no, and have a laugh at your expense when they hang up.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    I thought I'd ask for opinions. I've seen lots of motorcycle AND car parts move like that, although if it's not sitting on the dealer's shelf, not likely gonna happen. Can't hurt to find out.

Looks like ECS. FCP back ordered.

I'm thinking hoses (kit), and maybe spring for a new pump since I'm (they're) in there. Total refresh and an aluminium pulley and new belt.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep. They both do the same thing AFAIK. Those OEM dealer parts on their sites (OK excepting some very high volume movers which I'm sure they stock) are mostly actually order-from-wholesale-dealer-when-you-place-the-order items. Those "in stock" indicators on their websites can be TOTAL BULLCRAP in this regard, so it's always helpful to have that in mind when you're ordering stuff you need/want right away.

FCP at least seems to have gone recently to a 'drop ship' system where the BMW dealer part will be sent directly to you instead of coming to them first then them re-shipping it out a lot of the time. And I've talked to FCP managers who have said they've been working on getting true pass-through inventory status (aka if the local BMW dealer has it they'll know vs if they need it shipped from a BMW warehouse in far wherever) but not sure if that's working yet or not.

However... I'd like to say "its better if you call because then the rep can really tell you if the item is on their ACTUAL shelf or if its being ordred from the dealer" except I had a couple disasters like that with FCP even after calling in the order and getting repeated promises that the part would absolutely be going out the next day. Repeated "yes for sure it'll go out today" promises followed by "sorry dunno what happened, well TODAY for SURE".

And, while I'm still a big FCP fan, its also clear to me somebody in their shipping room is on to the old "mark it shipped in the computer even if USPS / UPS doesn't pick it up today so that we don't get dinged by management for being behind on the shipping orders and/or have to stay late". Definitely had that happen when the rep insisted the item was handed over to USPS but in fact turned out USPS didn't get the box until the next day. I used to work in the mail order biz so I know how that trick works with the shipping fulfillment guys who don't want to get in trouble and/or stay late.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Hey GG, that's excellent wisdom and advice for me, because what will end up happening is that I will be telling the shop at noon on Monday that I will have the parts in their hands by (e.g.) Thursday morning, so they can do the job then. But if I'm wrong, then I look like a dork, and they sit on my car for another weekend, perhaps.My situation is unique in that I have box at the US border. So typically I have stuff sent here, receive notification, then go pick it up. Having something sent straight to my front door is a big IFFY. It can get tied up at customs; shipper wants their $10 out of the deal, etc.All you GTA guys can relate to this I'm sure. Once I see the actual u joint on the end of the shaft, I will go from there. Maybe it is just "messy" like schatzy says. Tons of salt put down on the roads here in Ontario too !!Keep y'all posted.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Looks like both me and my Indy shop got hosed on this one. Shop calls me Thursday morning to tell me the part they were expecting (lower steering shaft) will not be sent to them at all. Wonder who they were dealing with ?

So if I want a NEW part, I will have to wait until mid October at best. After pondering this for half a day, I take my '03 530 the 4K down to them so they can remove the shaft from that car (270,000km on it), and put in on my car (182,000km). They said, "sure, we can try that." With a caveat that I get to inspect the part before they install it. I mean, I'm no expert, nor are they. But I need to have some level of confidence on this well used part going in there.

This isn't a window regulator. This is a key component in the steering system. A safety issue for sure.

It's now Friday afternoon before the long weekend, and I'm getting no communication. Maybe need to find yet another Indy shop. I'm not pushy. I just need communication.

Anyone have a lead on # 32 316 753 800 ? Nothing I can find Stateside, and certainly not in Canada.