Thread: EDC advice

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5

EDC advice

Need some direction here. Just bought my second 850 (selling my first) and this one has EDC...but doesn't seem to work. I can't tell the difference between the two modes and the indicator does not light up.
    Eventually I plan on refurbishing them but for now, I'd like to just add lowering springs. Can I do that without either swapping shocks to Bilstein or refurbishing EDC?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    I don't see the point in lowering springs if your shocks are shot. Many people like the bilsteins as a replacement I am told. I have bilsteins with CSI springs never had EDC though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    To give it a better stance.

My Cars
    95 BMW 850
    I've never been able to feel the difference between S and K with EDC.

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    If I had EDC I would rebuild it, but that's just me.

Lookup M6bigdog and Hyper and suspension sticky for some guidance.

Depending on your different driving style and look your trying to achieve there are many options.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by nrp22101 View Post
    Need some direction here. Just bought my second 850 (selling my first) and this one has EDC...but doesn't seem to work. I can't tell the difference between the two modes and the indicator does not light up.
    Eventually I plan on refurbishing them but for now, I'd like to just add lowering springs. Can I do that without either swapping shocks to Bilstein or refurbishing EDC?
    Thanks.

Last edited by alex840; 08-22-2017 at 11:15 AM.

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    I have EDC shocks with CSi springs, and I like the setup. Along with the KBar swaybars, it handles like its on rails; when on the Komfort setting the ride is noticeably different, but it's not a huge difference.

I can't opine about the idea of changing the springs without fixing the shocks, except to say if you are going to do the work to change the springs, you might as well address the shocks at the same time (I realize that's easy for me to say, since it's not my money).

I can also tell you that there are no more new EDC shocks available, anywhere. Your choices are 1) replace with Bilsteins; 2) have your current shocks rebuilt by Wokke or the Polish guy (forgot his name but do a search and you should find him); or 3) convince your BMW dealer to send them back to Germany to be rebuilt. I was shocked (pun intended) when my dealer offered me option 3, which I chose. Not cheap, but now my EDC shocks are good as new, and carry a BMW warranty for the next two years. Their price for the shocks to be rebuilt by BMW was competitive with the quotes I received from Wokke/other guy. The labor to remove/reinstall wasn't cheap, but I was happy to pay versus doing the work myself (arthritic knees don't like crawling under the car much these days).

Mike Barrett
    Last edited by mbarrett635; 08-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    95 BMW 850
    What do you mean convince the dealer? Do you mean agree to store your car on their lot for the 2 months it won't have shocks and not charge you a fortune? It's nice to have the rebuild option though and I would have the dealer do it if I could afford it. My diff started leaking and I am worried I can't afford the car repairs because of the labour costs. I may need a 3.15 or 3.64 LSD.Back to the OP, now you have 2 opinions. It's working properly but you can't tell, even with the light out, or it's not working, which is why the light is out. For what it's worth I have had a light out and no light out and still can't tell the difference. I also have another BMW model with EDC and I can't tell the difference when I change the settings but I haven't read the owners manual so it might have other programming that over-rides the EDC button because it has about 200 different combinations of vehicle settings.
    Last edited by llcarlos; 08-22-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: why won't the layout edits display properly

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    There is no better shock options than a properly functioning EDC system period.
    Have you set rebuilt in Poland by Nanengast or this new BMW option that I did not realize existed.

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    There is no better shock options than a properly functioning EDC system period.
    Have you set rebuilt in Poland by Nanengast or this new BMW option that I did not realize existed.
    I think that's my long term goal, to get them refurbished but I have to address a bunch of other issues before getting to that. This car has been driven 700 miles in the last 17 years. I'd like to just install lowering springs for now just not sure if I can do that with current non working EDC without adverse effects?

My Cars
    1992 850i, 2015 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by llcarlos View Post
    What do you mean convince the dealer? Do you mean agree to store your car on their lot for the 2 months it won't have shocks and not charge you a fortune? It's nice to have the rebuild option though and I would have the dealer do it if I could afford it. My diff started leaking and I am worried I can't afford the car repairs because of the labour costs. I may need a 3.15 or 3.64 LSD.Back to the OP, now you have 2 opinions. It's working properly but you can't tell, even with the light out, or it's not working, which is why the light is out. For what it's worth I have had a light out and no light out and still can't tell the difference. I also have another BMW model with EDC and I can't tell the difference when I change the settings but I haven't read the owners manual so it might have other programming that over-rides the EDC button because it has about 200 different combinations of vehicle settings.
    Seems to be the consensus...not being able to tell the difference in settings. That said, I guess it could be working and the light is not.
    So what's the best way to check functionality?

My Cars
    91 e31 92 e31
    I have a set of front EDC'S I might part with
    PM me and we'll talk

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by llcarlos View Post
    When I say 'convince the dealer' I'm presuming that most dealer's service advisers don't have a clue that this BMW-supported option exists, so you might have to convince them to make some phone calls. Yes, my car sat on the dealer's lot (actually, I think they kept it inside) for about 4 weeks while the shocks were taken off, shipped to Germany, and shipped back, but they didn't charge me any storage fees. I didn't have to convince them to do this, however; they came up with it on their own after researching (unsuccessfully) where to find new EDC shocks.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    91 e31 92 e31
    just out of curiosity what did bmw charge you?

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydsss View Post
    just out of curiosity what did bmw charge you?
    $1125.00 for the front two, plus shipping. That's just for the rebuild.

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    95 BMW 850
    You have an awesome dealer Mike.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850Ci
    I think you will have to decide between stock set up with EDC and the lower stance. My opinion: stock shocks will not be happy with lowered springs - especially at the back. I think you risk blowing out the shock towers.

Mark in mid-MO
    1993 BMW 850Ci 6-speed
    2011 Cadi CTS coupe 6-speed

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMW View Post
    I think you will have to decide between stock set up with EDC and the lower stance. My opinion: stock shocks will not be happy with lowered springs - especially at the back. I think you risk blowing out the shock towers.
    As I stated, I'm running the stock EDC shocks with CSi springs, which lowers the car, although not as much as the H&R springs do. I've had this set-up for several years, and my shock towers are still okay [knock on wood].

Mike Barrett
    Mike Barrett

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMW View Post
    Definitely if you go with the wrong lowering springs in the rear. H&R and Eibach are both too soft for the rear. Eibach is fine for the front, but too soft for the rear, only the CSI rear has enough spring rate to prevent bottoming out. I have Eibach front and rear so I speak from real world experience. My new CSI rears are on the shelf waiting for my rear suspension rebuild.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850CI

Euro M-Sport low slung suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 72tpik5 View Post
    Definitely if you go with the wrong lowering springs in the rear. H&R and Eibach are both too soft for the rear. Eibach is fine for the front, but too soft for the rear, only the CSI rear has enough spring rate to prevent bottoming out. I have Eibach front and rear so I speak from real world experience. My new CSI rears are on the shelf waiting for my rear suspension rebuild.
    I am a firm believer thanks to Rod, M6BigDog's advice to go with a set of Euro M-Sport springs. I also have EDC, and CSI sway bars installed, and just love the ride and handling. Front springs from H&R will retain the front rear balance of the M-Sport, but the body willsit a bit lower. Personally, I got tired of scraping the chin all over town, and pogoing from the previously installed Eibachs. Unfortunately BMW has made it difficult to get the M-Sort springs, but it is possible through intermediaries. A properly functioning set of EDC shocks are wonderful, and give you an option for a comfortable ride on a rough road. Good luck with your pursuits. In any case, it is a good idea to install the rear shock mount body reinforcing plates, available from Max lumens, Bill Fox.